on 11 November 2013
Garmin Nuvi 2595. As a Satnav, I think its brilliant. The reason I have given it only 3 stars is because I had immense trouble downloading updates to maps and software. The problem was that Garmin Express and GarminMapUpdater failed to recognise the device. I spent several frustrating hours downloading and installing new versions of usb drivers, browser plug-ins and all associated software, alternative usb cables, avoiding usb hub, trying Firefox and Internet Express, ... without any success. I was just about to give up and send it back to Amazon when I found an online entry explaining that some of these devices were shipped with the wrong mode preset, to "MTP AutoDetect mode" not "Mass Storage mode". To fix this, do the following: Power on the satnav and wait until main menu displayed, go to the Volume screen, then press and hold the top right hand corner of the Volume screen for about 10 seconds (I know, seems quite bizarre)- the screen has nothing to indicate that anything lurks there. This secret procedure brings up a developer menu. Scroll down and select "MTP Settings". This takes you to another menu where you should select "Mass Storage" and Save. Problem solved!!! but what a pain!!! I dont know if this was just a small batch of these had the problem. Anyone who is not comfortable with computers and software is likely to just send the device back.
Downloaded software updates and all new Europe maps without any problems (takes 3 to 4 hours on my broadband connection).
55 Comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2013
A warning to people considering purchasing this product. If you follow the instructions, it will fail!!

After a couple of calls to the support team, they admitted that the update to the European maps that will be automatically downloaded will be too big for the SatNav.

So sadly unless they change something 100% of the people who purchase this will have a frustrating experience.

Even worse, my first call to support got a rather chirpy, "ah yes, we have a fault finding guide for that, I will send that to you by email".

Needless to say the fault-finding guide does not fix this fault.

I am checking if just inserting a micro SD card into device solves this problem, however one feels that there is something rather dishonest and dysfunctional here.

I will report back if that fixes this problem.
on 5 November 2014
Awful.

Purchased for a trip round france, but this spent half its time not functioning correctly. Either the maps did not match the roads (even after updating), or during a difficult junction it would randomly 'loose signal' and not update the road positioning which is great when you are in the middle of four lanes of traffic in a foreign town you have no idea where you are in.

Eventually it ceased even picking up the roads after the first two days and it was returned.

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING PURCHASE.
on 3 June 2014
I've got the Garmin today and I took it for a test drive. I decided to tank my car. Instead a petrol station Garmin led me to a abandoned property with no petrol station around. That was horrific. On the motorway it gave me wrong direction, unclear lane indication and wrong street pronunciation. £130 for this? Free android sat nav perform better! I will send it back ASAP- I don't want to be near this sat nav as I could accidently throw it out of the window!
on 21 June 2014
I bought this model because I wanted the sat nav to confirm the road name I was turning onto. It does do this but it states the name of the road eg London Road rather than stating the actual road number on the signs eg A45 to Coventry so really isn't a help. Bit disappointed. The traffic function doesn't seem to work on it either. I has taken straight into jams when there would have been alternatives. With this in mind I don't think this model is worth the extra money, I could have bought a much cheaper one.

Also it is sometimes slow to update and you miss the turn or it leaves you at busy roundabouts with no idea which turning to take as it is 'processing route'.
on 11 October 2013
I've been using the Nuvi 2595 for a couple of months now and I am extremely impressed. Moving from built-in GPS in a BMW to this I was somewhat concerned that the Nuvi wouldn't be up to the challenge. I am very glad to say that I find it easier to use and overall a better GPS.

Perhaps the most surprising was how effective the voice recognition is. It rarely seems to misinterpret my commands and the voice commands are so much safer and easier to use than reaching forward while driving.

The only significant improvement I would really look for is an improved holder - one where the power lead could be built in and the device just snapped into place, rather than having to plug in the cable on the back every time.

I can thoroughly recommend this product.
on 19 February 2014
I am a tesco dotcom driver and satnavs are crucial to the job this has worked flawlessly and diverted when there was an accident nearby and gives upcoming notifications for everything
on 14 August 2013
Bought this as a replacement for a garmin 2515 which I accidentally damaged, I found it very good , new where all the speed cameras were situated and managed to keep me out of snarl ups on the motorway, blue tooth a very good idea .
Only problem Emily gets awfully excited if you go off route.
on 7 April 2017
Fit for purpose.
on 19 September 2014
It was a wedding anniversary gift to my husband. He loves using it as he is on the road a lot...he is very impressed with the traffic alerts and its accuracy.