Customer reviews

The Devil and His Boy
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.79

on 16 January 2000
After such great children's books as 'Granny', 'Groosham Grange' and 'The Switch', Anthony Horowitz has now turned to the Elizabethan age for his latest work. Packed full of wonderful description of the period, which he obviously researched superbly, this book will transform any child's perception of what they may have thought of as a boring period in history. It brings the time and the characters of the time (including Queen Elizabeth herself and Shakespeare!) to life and makes them seem fun and interesting in much the same way as 'Shakespeare in Love' did at the cinemas recently. The characters are brilliantly depicted and children will identify with both Tom and Moll as well as laugh at some of the great villains and revolting adults that Horowitz is so good at creating. I have recently read the story to my Year 6 class (11 year olds) and I could not get them to go home! They always wanted me to read on and adored every minute of it. Probably Horowitz's best book yet - many of the children certainly thought so. Extremely well written and reminiscent of Dickens at times. We successfully turned the story into a play, which we performed at school at the end of July 1999 - it made a wonderful play too! Someone should make a film of this book! Horowitz is truly the master of children's fiction today.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 February 2011
Elizabethan England - young orphan Thomas Falconer one of its most unfortunates, cruelly exploited by a villainous innkeeper and his wife. Ahead lie adventures full of peril and a discovery that will truly stun.

Anthony Horowitz's first historical novel, he assuring us it contains far more truth than may be realized - the squalor really was as depicted, many of the people and places actually existed. (Disarmingly he declares any mistakes are deliberate "to keep the teachers happy".)

Colourful characters, dastardly deeds and a read that greatly pleases.
on 29 February 2016
Anthony Horrowitz is a wonderful writer.His books are full of humor,and outstandling vocabulary.
The way Anthony Horowitz describes the scenes amd the characters,makes you feel as if you are really there in 1593 watching everything.
the characters are terrific,Ratsy Tom and Moll are just brilliant!
This book is an all round amazing book .I REALLY recommend it !
on 15 April 1999
After such great children's books as 'Granny', 'Groosham Grange' and 'The Switch', Anthony Horowitz has now turned to the Elizabethan age for his latest work. Packed full of wonderful description of the oeriod, which he obviously researched superbly, this book will transform any child's perception of what they may have thought of as a boring period in history. It brings the time and the characters of the time (including Queen Elizabeth herself and Shakespeare!) to life and makes them seem fun and interesting in just the same way as 'Shakespeare in Love' has done at the cinemas recently. The characters are brilliantly depicted and children will identify with both Tom and Moll as well as laugh at some of the great villains and revolting adults that Horowitz is so good at creating. I have recently read the story to my Year 6 class (11 year olds) and I could not get them to go home! They always wanted me to read on and adored every minute of it. Probably Horowitz's best book yet - many of the children certainly thought so. We are now turning the story into a play, to be performed at the end of the year!
on 28 November 2001
This is yet another brlliant book from Anthony Horowitz. It has a brilliant story line. A poor boy in Elizabethan England who works in a pub. But then he gets taken away by a strange man on a horse. The man gets shot by a higwayman, but the boy escapes and tries to get to London. It is full of adventure and a good read for all ages.
on 23 February 2001
This book is really good. It enthralled me with exitment from the very begining and when it got scary i was actually scared. I especially liked the part where Ratsey was chasing Tom over the bridge and Tom ran onto the ice.
I strongly recomend this book to everybody and I congratulate Anthony Horowitz for making it so good.
on 5 January 2015
This book was a treat to read, and being based on history, would be good for schools as well. In some parts, the story plot was edging towards what I would call slow, but wasn't like some stories which make you fall asleep flat on your kindle and break your nose. It was better near the end, where the plot was fully explained. No sluggishness were left at the end, which is good as this is not part of a series. Overall, a lovely read.
on 16 November 2010
My 9 yr old son and I have just read this book together and we both loved it. Extremely well written and conjures up the atmosphere of Tudor London brilliantly. Particularly good if Tudors are being studied at school. Robin was fascinated that some of the characters were real and we live near Framlingham so that made it even better!
on 13 April 2016
My eldest read this in school and loved it so much he asked me to buy it so he could read it with his younger brother. Even though this is wrote for the younger reader, its humour and suspense will have the older reader (or in my case listener!) enthralled. We will be looking for more by Anthony Horowitz.
on 18 January 2016
Brilliant book - I am teacher in Upper Key Stage and we are current reading this for our Literacy Narrative unit - being history based it fits in fantastically in with our Tudor topic. My class are gripped and the writing they have produced alongside this is brilliant! A must read in schools!!