Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used a JBL Radial for quite a while, I've been impressed with the type of sound you can get from a ring-shaped speaker. The DS3880W SoundRing doesn't sound as good as the Radial (it doesn't have the same bass), but it's still pretty impressive for such a small device. And it is small - much smaller than you might think by looking at the promo photos. It's less than 8 inches across.

Setting up the SoundRing isn't a difficult task, but you'd think it was judging by the complicated way the user manual explains things. It's basically just: 1) allow the SoundRing to boot up completely, 2) connect to its default wireless network, and then 3) set it to connect to your existing home network via the browser-based interface. My streaming over AirPlay has been pretty solid and reliable, but that may be because I'm streaming over an Apple AirPort Express in a single room. I've yet to try it across separate rooms and separate floors.

I like this device. It's compact, well-made and looks good. It retains its charge relatively well and it can be recharged via its USB port. There are better AirPlay speakers out there, but the DS3800W SoundRing is a good option if you're strapped for space but still want decent audio (as long as you can avoid the streaming issues other users have experienced).
on 18 July 2015
Works well, good sound, portable etc but mine only lasted 2 years and according to the Philips support website its unrepairable!!!! Problem seems to be the rechargeable battery has failed, not a big deal as they usually only last about 2 years. Big problem is its not replaceable and the unit keeps switching its self off. Cant believe products can be made at this price which the manufacturer treats as disposable, bad for the pocket and bad for the environment, won't be buying a Philips product any time soon
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Given the massive choice of iPad iPod iPhone mp3 etc, speakers out there on the market, the main attraction of this Philips Fidelio model is the wifi "AirPlay" function. It looks great too. So as it is mainly a wifi speaker, I would expect connectivity to be quick and reliable. My initial experience was neither of those two. The instructions are easy enough to follow, and it did connect through the wifi in the end, but I had to go through 5 or 6 iterations of the same process until the connection was made and iPad (as a starter) connected to it. Then came the somewhat jerky reception of the music being streamed to it. It was rather stop start, with a puzzling delay between track changes, skips, volume control commands. Since the initial jerkiness of reception, which seems to have settled with longer time connection to the wifi, the only gripe is the slow response to commands from the iPad (I have the new iPad with the latest release iOS), works ok with the oldest iPad too.

The sound quality is not the best I have heard for the size of speaker, but it is OK and without distortion. Not a very warm mid range nor particularly well defined bass, but the quality across the range is more than acceptable as a portable speaker. However, for the price range, I prefer the sound of the DS3600 or DS3500 docking speakers, but they don't have wifi connectivity (docking or Bluetooth only)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Addendum ... 11th Jan ... I use the SoundRing in the kitchen quite a bit and have noticed that it does not like the microwave being on ... I get almost immediate drop out in signal ... That maybe just a perculiarity of my microwave of course ... Otherwise I have no real problems apart from when the battery is running down (so that is fair enough)

Addendum 2 ... Doesn't like the new convection oven either ... Was fine with the old low tech oven.

I wanted to run my Philips Fidelio for a good week or so before doing my review as I read so many reviews about the link dropping out, and whilst I know I have a reasonable wifi connection, if I'm using the SoundRing in the Kitchen, I'm a couple of rooms and brick walls away from my Router.

Set up was not as straight forward as I would have liked, WPS did not work on my BT Hub (several people have mentioned that BT have disabled this function), so I then went through the manual process ... whilst I'm no Luddite, I found I had to run through set-up 3 times before success.

Once up and running, I found the sound quality to be reasonably rich, but you do need to go into settings (on iPad or iPhone) to alter the EQ in Music ... I'm guessing that my iPhone has a volume limiter on it as the max volume is not that max, but it is better on my iPad.

So far so good, the only time I had drop out was when I was listening to iPlayer Radio, and that must have been an internet signal problem rather than a streaming issue as it still worked fine using iTunes or Music.

We have also connected the SoundRing to our TV and that really boosted the Audio of some films we watched over Christmas.

I also like the portability, and have listened for a good couple of hours away from the charging base.

As for the quality of sound ... it is good ... just not brilliant. I have a Sony iPod Dock rated at 40W which is much better, but nowhere near as flexible.

I'm happy to give it 4 stars on my experience to date.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2012
Update May 2012.
Had this for a few months now and have knocked my intial review down to 2.5 out of 5 because of major 2 issues.

The first is airplay. We have had a few dropout issues but the main problem has been getting the thing to connect and start in the first place. Although the soundring is seen as a speaker device in airplay, it often takes numerous attempts to connect to the speakers before the sound starts streaming and sometimes it just won't connect. This has caused my better half to give up on the device altogether. We know it is not our wifi network as various other airplay devices work flawlessly in the same area of the house.

The second issue relates to trying to connect an ipod via the audio input cable. On some occasions after having given up trying to stream music to the soundring, I have tried to connect various ipods. Connection via USB is fine, but trying to connect via the audio cable (the only option for some ipods and other devices) can be a real issue as the soundring often doesn't seem to detect that there is an input coming in and make the automatic switch to audio input (there doesn't seem to be any way to manually switch the input). This happens even when the ipod output is at full volume.

When it works it's fine ... but getting it to work reliably is an issue for us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The short and snappy version for those of you in a rush: Overall 3.5 out of 5. Looks good. Nice portability. Reasonable sound, although lacking bass. Airplay works. A little pricey.

Now the longer version.

This speaker looks great and more like and ornament. So good marks for style, 4/5.

It's easy to dock on the little base plate that serves as a power source and charging unit. The speaker ring just lifts off the base plate and can be taken wherever you like running on the internal battery. So good marks for portability, 4/5.

Wireless set up proved a little tricky at first. In the end I had to access the setup menu and configure it via bonjour from the computer rather than from an iphone/ipad/ipod touch as recommended in the quick setup instuctions. Annoyingly, Philips have supplied the manuals on a mini cd disc and I wasn't going to risk putting that into my slot loading drive having heard of some horror stories about mini cd discs in such drives. So as score of 3/5 for ease of set up.

Sound quality. Well, I have to say I was a tad disappointed and hoped for a bit more punch. If you like plenty of bass, this may not be for you... but as it is quite a small speaker system you can't expect a thumping bass. It is fine for a smallish room or desktop type situation, and as a portable wireless speaker I can take anywhere round the house or garden etc. But it won't be replacing my hifi system any time soon! So 3/5 for sound.

Airplay - no real problems encountered so far (once it was set up) streaming from a computer with itunes. Sometimes a little slow to connect. So 4/5 until I can test for a longer time period to determine reliability.

Value for money? Well that depends on what you want from this system. Based on sound alone, £300 is a bit pricey and I think I would be looking elsewhere... but factor in the airpay functionality, internal rechargable battery portability, and the cool style (wife approval - that can count for a lot!) and you may decide these features are worth paying the premium price. I'll give it 3.5/5
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Philips Fidelio SoundRing is well designed are works really well apart from the one issue that a lot of reviews talk about - the reliability of the network connection.

It was easy to set up and is easy to use from my iPhone 4.
It's highly portable and the idea of the charging ring is excellent - once it is charged it doesn't even need to be plugged in to work. It can be placed anywhere.
It's a very nice looking product, it looks and feels high quality.
The sound quality is very good.

But... it does drop network connection if the signal is not very reliable. I changed routers part way through owning this device. Even in the same room as my original router there were regular short breaks in sound transmission, possibly every five minutes or a little less frequently than that. It was irritating and did really reduce the worth of the product as a whole.

I changed to a new router which was more powerful and it has made a significant difference, there are now very rarely any interruptions and I am very happy with this speaker. The quality of sound is excellent and it packs a punch for those who like to crank up the volume.
on 28 December 2012
I went with this as a replacement speaker "dock" after getting an iPhone 5, to avoid the hassle of switching dock adapters and phone cases. Reasonably pleased, although I'm keeping an eye out for a firmware update.

The slightly off-colour speaker grille took some getting used to, but I think I like it now. The unit itself has a serviceable sound quality for such a small speaker, and going completely wireless thanks to the built-in battery is a nice gimmick. Tapping the Airplay button on your iPhone to switch from headphones to the speaker is very slick.

However, it seems like if you leave the speaker on for an extended amount of time, it'll start skipping. I leave the speaker on all the time, so I'm not sure exactly how long this is. At first it's not too bad, but eventually the music will cut out completely. Restarting the speaker sorts it out and I don't have the same problem Airplaying to my Apple TV, so it looks like it's something Philips need to fix in the speaker firmware.

Given how much the SoundRing costs, I won't complain too much about it.
VINE VOICEon 19 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Fidelio DS3880W is Philips attempt at a versatile speaker that acts as an Airplay device for Apple equipment and any other hardware that takes advantage of the Airplay format.

The unit comes in 2 parts; a large ring speaker, allegedly built this way to improve sound quality, and a round metal base. The look is certainly different, coming across as similar to one of those Dyson bladeless fans, but it does make the device striking to look at and the chrome effect is pretty nice.

The reason that the device is built in 2 parts is because the base acts as a recharging unit and mains adaptor. Plug the mains lead into the base (included in the pack) and once the ring is placed on this it will begin to charge, shown by a light on top of the ring unit. Take it off once charged and its ready to go as a portable speaker that can be carried around to any room. The best thing about this is that the speaker doesn't even need to clip on to the base, it just sits there with the weight of the speaker and a small magnet holding it in place.

Couple this with the Airplay feature, which allows you to wirelessly send music and sound to the speaker from an iPod, iPad or iPhone, or even a computer, and you have a truly wireless device.

The sound quality is typical for Philips and I found the bass and treble to be perfectly suitable for general music, even over Airplay. Some may complain that it doesn't match some high end systems, but it's just about right for the price and the sound was perfectly clear.

One issue that many will probably suffer with and that I found while moving this around the house, is that WIFI in general has an issue with walls, floors and pretty much anything that will get in its way, leading to blackspots where the signal falls over. This device, too, has issues with a lack of signal in some parts of the house because the signal is coming from the wifi signal, not direct from the phone, as some might assume. It's certainly something to be aware of before buying, but if you're generally ok with your signal on other wifi devices then this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Overall, then, I'm very happy with the Fidelio DS3880W as a useful portable device that all of us in the family can use to listen to music around the house.

And, yes, the title is a play on a Cliff Richard song, I can only apologise for that.
on 21 December 2014
This worked really well until I put some Belkin WEMO devices on the same network. Now this and my two D7000Ws just reset their wifi connection constantly (flashing red light). Maybe a clash with the BridgeCo chipsets?

This is where you realise that Phillips support is non-existent, and that is why i am giving them 1 star. If you want a firmware upgrade, you can't download it from a website, you have to email a Phillips support technician.

Basically, don't buy this if you want something that works, and then goes on working...
on 11 March 2013
Overall the sound is pretty good for the size, but don't buy it if you like a lot of bass as its just not there. I had no problem connecting as I have a wireless router with a WPS button which makes it a simple operation for the speaker and router to find each other.

The Airplay operation has been great. I did experience one drop-out but that didn't bother me and it might have been due to heavy wireless usage in the house at the time.

Also I'd say originally I thought I wouldn't move the speaker around and thus wouldn't need the version with the charging stand but I've already been picking it up and moving it to a few rooms in the house.

My only gripe is with Amazon, as the unit that arrived was obviously a returned unit. The main box wasn't shrink wrapped, a cardboard insert/protector was ripped by a previous "owner", and the accessories had been put into assorted unsealed plastic bags which weren't original. Although I understand that Amazon have to sell returned units I do have a problem with this being sold as new as its possible this unit had a lot of previous usage. I've lodged a packaging feedback with Amazon but I don't expect a reply. So I'm just saying beware.....