on 18 May 2012
Travelling a lot for work, and having to take the work laptop with me already, I wanted something portable I could use on planes / at airports etc for music / films / internet etc. After spending 4-6 weeks debating either this or the 7.7" tab I happened to see both at the airport, and that made up my mind to buy this.

The screen on this is great - so much bigger and better than my wife's I-pod Touch. It is just the right size to fit in a coat pocket when not needed, and really lightweight to hold.

Initially it took a bit of working out due to the very limited instructions supplied - e.g. needing a Gmail address, and logging into Samsung apps, but after a few errors you can work it fairly easily.

So far: wifi great, internet great, sound quality from the inbuilt speaker = good. I got a proper set of JVC headphones to go with it, rather than the in-ear set supplied, and the sound quality with them is superb.

Transferring music files onto it is pretty easy when you work it out (just make sure you carry out any editing of artist / title in Windows Media Player before you transfer it over to the Tab, as I can't find a way to do it after sync'ing it).

I can't fault it so far.

Update 25 May 12: the unit is really easy to use when you get going, and the capacity for holding music tracks (8Gb unit & 32Gb SD-card)is really good. Sound quality from the inbuilt speakers is really good as well.

HOWEVER - have had the 2nd most frustrating day in my life trying to use the KIES software from Samsung. After 3 attempts at dowloading and running it it will not run and connect - it either comes up with unhelpful error messages with no answer to resolve it, or sits there for 1.5+ hours saying 'connecting....' and does nothing else. If I had to score the KIES software it would be 0 stars out of 5 for user unfriendliness and un-usability.

Update 26 May 12: after browsing the internet I have fixed the issue with access to Kies - go to Settings / Wireless & Network / USB settings & activate the Samsung kies option.

Update Oct 2013: Still think it's great.
on 12 January 2012
I wanted an MP3 player for my wife which would be easy to use so she could enjoy our music collection. This looked good as it has a large screen but not too big and heavy. Having internet access and android apps is a bonus.

When it arrived it was quickly charged up and music loaded quickly using drag and drop via USB. So far so good.

I noticed on the back of the Quick Start Guide a reference to install the Samsung Kies PC Sync. Kies is used for Firmware updates, so quite important. I downloaded and installed the software onto my Windows 7 PC. connected the USB cable and tried to connect. It kept trying to connect for ages without success.

I checked the Kies site for help including the support pages and couldn't find a solution. I checked the web and found a fair amount of problems with Kies and Galaxy S phone which didn't help. Eventually I stumbled on the solution. Kies uses a special Kies mode turned on for the Galaxy S. Why this is not made obvious is a mystery.

SOLUTION: On the device: Settings > Wireless and Network > USB settings > select Samsung Kies > press the home key to exit settings. Connect the USB cable and press the home key - the device will show Initialising then Connected Press the home key to quit Samsung Kies.
On the PC: Start the Kies program. It should now connect though it initially takes a few minutes to install the drivers.
NB All apps on the device should be closed before using Kies.

I'm not impressed with Samsung's documentation, support and the sync software isn't easy to setup. They've still a lot to learn from Apple. The device itself is good, it's much more than an MP3 player.
on 27 February 2012
+I bought this to replace a ipod which I had stolen am very pleased with it in some ways it is a better appliance ..the scree is bigger....the sound is better...and the colour are brighter ...the only thing down that I can see at the moment is that the android apps are not as good as the apple apps..but no doubtn they will soon be
on 10 June 2013
I'm still learning how to use this player but have hit a major drawback on my main objective in this purchase - to play Spotify through the car's sound system. It will not play Spotify into the USB of the car so I have to use the AUX socket instead which means that it is not being charged up. My own music tracks can be played back via the USB but I have not been able to show them on my car's display either by album or with graphics - just get a list of tracks.

I also found the Samsung Kies software used to synchronise with my computer very poor compared to itunes. I have had to delete and reinstall the software twice already as it fails to recognise my devise when it is connected. It now does not work with my Samsung phone which only works with an earlier version of Kies. My friends, who also have Samsungs, have also given up on the Kies software.

I would now add that the screen switches off after only 10mins max even when it is on charge. I cannot find a setting that allows the screen to remain on. To use the unit it has to be restarted - very infuriating if you just want to fast forward a track whilst driving the car. Impossible if you have set a password protection.

I find it ridiculous that you must choose between 3 setting for the USB to get it to connect to your computer or the cars computer system - otherwise it does not work.

I have now downgraded it from 3 star to 1 star - amazingly I see the price has increased significantly since I purchased it 6 weeks ago.
on 22 April 2014
The unit was faulty would not load via USB contacted supplier was not interested ,spoke to Samsung about the fault they could sort the problem sent it to them and could not fault Samsung they sort the problem what great service .
The unit is fantastic very loud great screen even wireless headphones blows my iPod out the window and you can expand the amount of storage great unit skpy blue tooth 5inch screen good cameras the GPS very good plus all the free games
on 17 October 2012
This is a brilliant device and so much more that a MP3 player, more like an Apple itouch but much bigger. I've had it for just over a month and I'm extremely happy with it. I particularly like the fact that you can take photos with the camera and then share them via email, Facebook, Pinterest simply and quickly. I'm also enjoying using different free Android apps like Kindle and Audible. Its got a good battery life on it and charges really well plugged into my PC with the USB lead. If you'd like a smart phone without the phone, which is what I wanted, then this is definitely the device for you, you will not be disappointed.
on 7 January 2012
I wanted this for a long time and I eventually bought it 3 weeks ago.
I am very pleased with this (how can I call it? Portable media player? Mini Tablet?) device. It's easy to operate, sound quality is very good (with the great earphones provided... not so good with the in-built speakers), video quality is great, battery lifetime is amazing (lasts about 5 days for me, but I don't have it on all the time... anyway I watched a movie, listened to music for a few hours, downloaded apps, played puzzle games, chatted with friends and it's still going!), the touch screen is really responsive... everything about it makes me happy. The only "disappointing" bit is that the GPS is not working well without WiFi connection. I have seen online many reviews from people with the same problem. I found many advices for solving the problem as well, but haven't tried any yet. I am sure there is a way around it... but I didn't buy it as a Sat Nav, so this is not a big deal.
There is one thing I find really weird though. If you switch the device off at night (like I do) the alarm clock won't work. You have to leave it on stand-by for the alarm clock to wake you up in the morning. This is not a major problem again, but I find it really stupid.
Given the non-conventional size of this gadget, there aren't many cases for it yet (at least not on Amazon)... but I asked my mum to make one for me with a bit of spare fabric she had and her sewing machine. It took her something like 7 minutes to make 3 of them. If you know someone that can use a sewing machine you can save money and have a personalised case.
That's all folks. I love the thing and if you are looking for an android iPodtouch-like, this is for you!
on 21 September 2012
Bought September 2012 in Amazon lightning sale at £114.99

I have an ipod touch 4th gen which I use mainly for collecting emails, occasional website browsing (poor) and keeping my daughter quiet with Youtube cartoons.

This Samsung is big and chunky but that's not bad thing IMO. Thumb can't stretch right across the screen so its not a one-handed device but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

There is lots of guff around right now about quad core this and A6 that....ignore the hype. I have no idea what the processor in this thing is but it plays all videos well and I have not experienced any lag whilst using it for browsing, apps etc. This does the job just fine.
on 14 June 2013
I have a smasunf 10 and 7 inch tablet. Thought the 5.0 might be handy. All the bits are there, but the operating system / apps hold it back. For instance the only we I can make a video call, and the party able to see me I must hold the phone upsidedown, so I can not really see them well. If you are looking for a small footprint tablet, this is not it......accessiores are few, and none shared with other samsung tabs
on 26 February 2012
What a great player; had it a couple of days now. The huge screen makes a great e-reader; plays audiobooks (but BE WARNED: it doesn't yet play library (Overdrive) WMA audiobook format, though the MP3 format is fine). Speakers are fine for audiobooks etc - for proper music you'd probably use the earphones.

I've not connected to wifi hotspots yet, but no problem with connecting at home. It is quicker hitting sites than my 2 year old PC.

Some things I haven't worked out yet, but a great piece of kit.

NB: it DOES come with charger and USB cable.