Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 February 2012
I would heartily like to recommend "David Dubery- Songs and Chamber Music" ( Metier msv28523) as a superb example of modern chamber music. The music is so lyrical, David really knows how to write for the voice and Adrienne Murray's rich voice with its splendid diction serves the music wonderfully.The virtuoso playing from the emminent musicians, John Turner (recorders) Peter Dixon ( cello) Richard Simpson ( oboe) Richard Williamson ( viola ) Graham Salvage ( bassoon ) Craig Ogden ( guitar ) and Paul Janes and David Dubery( piano),is breathtaking.
To take out anyone track to praise above any other is not possible, everything is 5 star!
"Mrs. Harris in Paris", leaves you really smiling!
This is only some of the work of a fantastic English composer with an enormous output. He should be a household name in the classical music world.!!
on 2 March 2012
This CD by David Dubery is a stunning showcase of his amazing talent as a composer. The beautiful voice of Adrienne Murray suits the songs well and she conveys the meaning of each song wonderfully. I was however captivated by the stunning works for oboe and recorder especially the Sonatina for Oboe and Piano and Harlequinade for recorder and guitar.
My guilty pleasure is now Mrs Harris in Paris which is so melodious and lilting that it is extremely catchy. David Dubery is one of todays great talents and hopefully we will hear a lot more from him
on 6 November 2011
In 2005 I discovered David Dubery's delightful Parisian waltz Mrs Harris in Paris on the Dutton CD British Recorder Concertos. I have been searching for more of this composer's music and this new issue on Metier devoted to songs and chamber music is just the ticket!
A treasure trove of works recorded for the first time and in good sound and some very fine performances.
I was particularly struck by the beautiful voice of Adrienne Murray, who is new to me. Her diction is wonderfully clear and with the composer at the piano, has a real sympathy with his music. Try the lovely song 'The Birds', the characterful 'Onyons', or the moving setting of Rossetti's 'Remember'.
There is fine oboe playing from Richard Simpson in the 'Oboe Sonatina', a great opener for the CD with such a memorable middle movement.
The CD features the cello of Peter Dixon (BBC Philharmonic Orchestra) partnered by Paul Janes who plays piano stylishly on all the instrumental tracks. The 'Cello Sonata' is the centre-piece of the disc with a lyrical first movement, a profound and moving slow movement, and a finale that gives plenty of opportunity and excitement for the two players. I would love to hear this work in recital!
Other highly enjoyable pieces include 'Walking Cimbrone' for bassoon and piano played by the Halle Orchestra's principal bassoonist Graham Salvage who is also featured in the four 'Escapades', a trio with recorder and piano.
The four movement 'Harlequinade' suite is scored for recorder and guitar and receives a characteristic and bravura performance by the recorder player John Turner, with one of the UK's best loved guitarists Craig Ogden. The 'Arlecchino' movement is a real virtuoso display! I look forward to Dubery's next CD offering.
Great to see the tracks are also available as MP3 downloads.
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2011
I use classical music to help me to relax after a long day at work, and this CD is perfect, especially those songs with vocals, sung beautifully by Adrienne Murray. My favourite is Sudden Light, closely followed by Remember. I could listen to her sing all day!

I wish I could say more about the other tracks, but as I don't play an instrument I can't comment on how well they're played :) I will say that I enjoy listening to all of the tracks, both vocal and instrumental, and that I enjoy this CD more each time I listen to it.