TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 September 2014
Steven Spielberg' brings another highly family orientated movie to the screen and re-mastered to the Blu-ray format, of course he also gave us movies like 'A.I' artificial intelligence. ( great movie also available on this format ) and perhaps the 'gem' of his family movie collection 'E.T' ( also remastered and presented on the 'Blu-ray format )
Well, this movie tells the tale of 'Peter Pan' (played by the late great 'Robin Williams) who has now grown-up and married 'Wendy's' granddaughter, they have two children.
The family make a seasonal visit to 'Wendy's' home. where years before it all began.
'Hook' still lives in 'Neverland' and has grown bored, longing for the adventure and rivalry he once had with his 'tormentor' --'Peter Pan'
'Hook' (Dustin Hoffman) decides to kidnap 'Peters' two children and leave a challenge for 'Peter' to rescue them.
'Tinker Bell' (Julia Roberts) arrives at the London house to whisk 'peter' back to 'Neverland'
'HOOK' mocks ' PETER' and says he's not worthy of his sword, trouble is 'Peter' has forgotten how to fly and has long since forgotten his years in 'Neverland'
'HOOK' gives 'PETER' just three days to remember who he is, or the children will be harmed.
This really is top-line family entertainment, the 'transfer' to Blu-ray is pretty good, wish all restorations were as good..............enjoy.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 July 2013
Just the job for thhe kids. Good value what more can you say about a DVD. Would recommend this item.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 January 2013
I bought this DVD because I was writing an essay for university about the various adaptations and spin-offs from J.M. Barrie's 'Peter Pan', and I have to say if I'd not needed it for studying then I wouldn't have bothered buying it. It's awful! It's very sentimental and although I love Robin Williams his performance as Peter/Pan leave a lot to be desired. In Williams' defense, I think the awful acting is more to do with the script which offers a very mawkish view of childhood that completely detracts from Barrie's novel. In the film's defense Captain Hook is brilliant, but if it hadn't been for him then I doubt I could have endured sitting through it.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 June 2013
I loved this film when I was younger and nothing has changed about that, even though I'm now 22!

Robin Williams is, as always, brilliant. He's hilarious and I think he makes a great Peter Pan - definitely one of my favourite portrayals. He plays the grown-up Peter fantastically, as a man who has forgotten all about Neverland and his life before growing up. Once he returns to the magical world and finally remembers, his take on Peter was wonderful to watch. Who'd of thought Robin Williams in tights would have been so cool?

I loved the lost boys in this. They were so dependent on Peter and had clearly missed him so much and the ending when he left again just ripped my heart out. They were also so funny (BANGARANG) when they were 'training' Peter to become himself again (the dinner scene was just awesome). Also: Ru-fi-ooooooooooooooo.

Dustin Hoffman as Hook was just splendid. He's such a great actor and I've learned to expect nothing better than AWESOME from him. And he delivered. Hook is perfectly creepy but also kind of strangely likeable.

The puns in this movie provide a lot of laughs (perhaps more now, watching as an adult: see the dinner scene when Peter and Rufio get into an argument) and the film is just a joy to watch throughout.

Okay, so it's not a completely oscar-worthy masterpiece. But it's a film that will keep you entertained throughout and get you back in touch with your childish side, something we all need once in a while. In my opinion, it's a must-see for anyone who's a fan of Williams or, you know, fun.
on 11 March 2007
This film is an insult to the British. A terrible performance by Dustin Hoffman, one of Hollywood's "got lucky" boys. If he wants to ham it up, the local Pantomime would be more appropriate. I can't believe Speilberg did this. A complete waste of money and Bob Hoskins. A lifelong fan of Julia Roberts, I can't see any point in casting her. Surely Roberts and Hoskins must cringe at showings of this crass presentation. As for Dustin Hoffman, bring back Mrs. Robinson, he needs some more luck.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 February 2014
Peter Pan has grown up to be a cut-throat merger and acquisitions lawyer, and is married to Wendy's granddaughter.

Captain Hook kidnaps his children, so Peter returns to Never Land with Tinkerbell.

With the help of her and the Lost Boys, he must remember how to be young again in order to save his children by battling with Captain Hook once more......

Seeing this in the cinema as a fourteen year old, I was truly blown away by just good the film was. Just getting into films, it was a rarity for Spielberg to get something wrong, and with Williams in the lead, I was quite confused as to why it was so poorly received.

Twenty years on, after introducing my daughter to it, it's easy to see why. The film starts off really well, Williams is great as the grouchy dad, and Spielberg definitely has the golden touch in the first act.

But as soon as Peter reaches never land and meets the lost boys, the film turns into a bloated mess, and you crave for Hoffman to get back on screen quickly.

The films at least thirty minutes too long, and this should have been trimmed down during the second act, as this seems to go on forever and ever.

The film does pick up at the final act, but it's a long time coming, but it just about redeems itself.

Saying that, the cast are excellent, and the film still looks as good and fresh today as it did back then.

So all in all, it's a good film, just a little saggy and boring in the middle.

The lost boys should have stayed that way..
on 31 October 2017
Poor Blu-Ray release, I think Spielberg would rather forget it exists. I am one of those rare people who genuinely loves Hook. I saw it when I was ten so perfect age for a film full of adventure and wonder.

Its a shame no one tells Spielberg that it actually isn't a bad film and has many great moments and memorable characters. The disc is the film and hmmm maybe a trailer but nothing else. Even a documentary all about the reason its director doesn't talk much about it would have pleased me as it is a little more left field than usual classic he makes.

If like me you love the film then of course buy it as its the best its gonna get but if you want more then don't, especially if you are not a fan.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 October 2011
First off, I wish amazon wouldn't colate reviews for films. DVD and blu ray reviews should be kept seperate.
Now, with that out the way, to the blu ray.
I have to say at first I was worried that this would be a hash job with how cheap the blu ray was to begin with. But boy was I wrong. To say the film is 20 years old this year, the picture has new life breathed into it.
Hook is one of my fave films of all time so naturally I have seen it countless times. With this new blu ray release I am picking out details that I had never noticed before and its fantastic. The picture is clear and sharp, the colours more vibrant. This is how the film should look, to do neverland justice and it makes me very happy that a good job has been done. Im sure the tech heads will find something to pick apart at, but for the general viewing public this will be a treat. Superb!
11 Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 December 2001
Hook is an absolute cinematic epic, along with an allstar cast, you also have some of the best effects ever seen.
The allstar cast includes Julia Roberts, Bob Hoskins, Dustin Hoffman and of course not forgetting the lord himself Robin Williams.
The special effects in this film are somewhat superlative and most astounding to the eye ...
The soundtrack to this film actually sent shivers down my spine as it is the most electrifying presentation of classical music i have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.
on 3 May 2015
Excellent film although thd copy purchased had subtitled on which spoilt it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse