on 11 July 2012
Considering the minimal energy consumption, this is an impressive little bulb. The light is bright and quite warm. The main differences between this bulb and the halogen bulbs it's designed to replace are:
1. It's a little longer, so I suggest you check carefully whether it will fit the shade or unit for which it's intended.
2. Its light is much more directional, as other reviewers have pointed out. Despite the opalescent diffuser cap, this LED bulb functions more like a tiny torch than a conventional incandescent bulb with a filament that spreads light all around it. That's why LEDs are great for things like traffic lights and brake lights, where a fairly narrow beam is an advantage, but the technology needs to evolve some more if they're going to conquer the world of domestic interior lighting.
on 28 December 2012
I purchased 3 different G9 LEDs to compare side by side and see which best fit my lights. All made by Long life Lamp Company and sold by Strictly Lamps, one was a 1.9W capsule, one was a similar 2.5W capsule (these both have silver bases and visible yellow LEDs) the third was a 2.5W ceramic which has the white base and domed bulb. All in warm white 3000k.
All were very impressive and brighter than the standard 25W which looked a dull yellow when compared side by side. The 1.9W has all the LEDs facing forward so acts a little more like a spot light than a regular bulb but good amount of light still comes out sides. The 2.5W with silver base is longer and has additional LEDS around the circumference so it puts out a more radial light. The 2.5W ceramic puts out good radial light from the domed bulb.
If size was no issue I would probably go for the 2.5W with silver base. However at 24mm diameter it was just too big for my glass tubes on ceiling light (but fit into larger tubes on floor standing light). Both the 23mm diameter 1.9W and 18mm diameter 2.5W fit into my ceiling light. I prefer the radial light from the 2.5W than the more forward directed light from the 1.9W.

This bulb is good but because light is more directional it isn't my preference. If it will fit I would go for its 2.5W bigger brother or if diameter is an issue the 2.5W with white base and domed bulb is my choice.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2012
Purchased three of these bulbs to go in a lamp where the halogen bulbs were always failing.

Gives a much nicer light than the old halgen bulbs, and use very little electricity, cannot detect their usage on the wireless energy metre.

Excellent product and will use in the future.
on 5 May 2012
These bulbs are pretty good, though buyers should be aware of a few minor (but potentially important) considerations:

1) the size is slightly different to that stated - mine are 24mm wide, not 22mm. (That said, they're still a lot narrower than a lot of the LED G9s out there, and still small enough to fit comfortaby in the narrow glass shades of my Tesco "CARA" wall light fittings).

2) the aluminium body, along with the orientation of the LED "chips", means that most of the light is projected in one direction, unlike the halogen bulbs they replace, which project light over a much wider area. This WILL alter the visual effect, especially in glass fittings, which won't "glow" as much.

That said, I'm still pretty happy with my purchase, as using four of these bulbs instead of the halogen ones supplied with my light fittings, means they're using 8W instead of 80W! By my calculations, (based on 6hrs per day usage) this means they'll save me £25 per year (paying for themselves in the first year).
33 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2012
I am very pleased with these & am ordering more. The light is not as bright as halogen, which is not surprising, but halogen gives much too much & have to either turn lights off or use a dimmer. This is a much better option & with all lights on I will use 20W as against 40W for just 1 bulb, 400W in total! I will soon save the cost of the bulbs.
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2011
More and more the incandescent bulb and the halogen derivative also , I suspect, the compact fluorescent bulbs have had their day. The LED bulb I think is here to stay and you can already buy some really good replacements for the GU10 50w halogen at a fraction of the energy consumption and far greater life. The G9 type is next for incursion by the LED bulb and this is a quality replacement which runs slightly warm but never hot and gives a good quality light. My only criticism, apart from the cost, is the fact that the light is quite directional and if, as in our dining room, you are replacing a bulb in an upward facing glass bowl type of light then there will be little light projected downward and most of the light will be projected upward. Mercifully this is not so much of a problem as we have a white ceiling which reflects the clean light downward to give a soft but bright illumination. I can see however if you have a similar light fitting and dark ceilings there may be a problem. The other consequence of this is that the glass bowl appears to be darker as it is in fact now in shade. On the whole not bad and I think I will save to replace one or two more.
44 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2012
We used this to replace a 35W Halogen Lamp (which was originally a 50W I think) in some Wickes Security lights. Importantly it was no longer than 55mm, perhaps a few mm shorter - so fitted. The warm white version is not important for our lights, but there wasn't a noticeable difference between the halogen still remaining on one side, and this new LED. (For this type of fitting the light coming out from the "front" of the bulb is not an issue.) Haven't had it long enough to know about its longevity. Will be buying another to replace the lamp on the other side of the security light.
on 27 November 2012
I did receive 4 bulbs in June. They seemed to work fine, but in the last couple of weeks I noticed some flickering. This week two stopped working, and a third one seems to be on the way out. The good news is that I did receive a refund for the 3 bulbs.
on 7 September 2013
Bought 5 of these to replace bulbs that kept blowing in ceiling light. Had previously gone through two full sets of halogen bulbs in less than a year - I think the narrow glass shades were causing bulbs to overheat. The LED bulbs fit perfectly in the shades (always check dimensions before buying), don't get hot, and give similar illumination with a slightly whiter quality to the light.

Update: Bought 6 more as old halogens failed. To date, in less than two years, two of the LED bulbs have failed and one flickers. I had expected much better given the significantly higher cost.
on 10 June 2013
I've just put 4 of these into an over head lamp.
It illuminates but is not as bright as I would like and that makes that end of the room look depressing.
Can't really tell about colour balance but I feel it may be too blue too