on 20 December 2002
While visiting in Britain, I borrowed this book from a friend who had, in turn, borrowed it from the Haemochromatosis Society in Barnett, and as I read it, more and more symptoms described in it seemed terrifyingly close to what has been plaguing my brother for years. I persuaded him to take the information to his doctor as a result of which he was diagnosed and now all our family have been tested. We are so grateful!
The book is well written and tremendously absorbing but its main value lies in the fact that it saves lives. We are now reading the new edition and sincerely recommend it.
on 6 January 2005
However, I think that - in all fairness - I owe it to other readers to point out that the back page which is shown, together with all the other information, while correctly pertaining to the 2000 "NEW" edition, do not belong with the ISBN given on the website. I have both editions, and the number I read here, belongs with a previous, and certainly not so expensive edition.
The 2000 edition comes with more information, an update and footnotes (both re the characters in PART ONE, and the reference book, "Iron...the other side of the Story! which is found in PART TWO), and, whereas the former edition (1989) only carries the story up to that publication date, the 2000 edition tells it almost up to the present day. The reasonable price places it well within the reach of patients who desperately need to know more about the world's most common genetic disorder, of which all the ghastly, potentially fatal ravages are unnecessary and preventable.
on 13 June 2006
Reviewer: Rita van der Bijl (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Even the edition listed here, while not the most recent,is a great resource for the newly-diagnosed, and a well-written, gripping bio - but it is far more than that. ... What an moving reliance on the power of prayer! What an awesome testimony of faith! I loved the anecdote about the 'pennies from Heaven'!