Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.69

on 20 September 2011
Having followed Ed Sheeran since his "Nandos Skank" days, I had mixed emotions about his finally gaining the recognition he deserves. Mainly I think I was worried about whether he'd be stripped of his individuality and turned into another processed pop sensation. Listening to this album, I realise I needn't have worried. Although a couple of the songs from his original EPs appear here as more mainstream, beat-driven versions (The City and - of course - You Need Me, I Don't Need You) the emotion behind them is still very much present.

My only complaint is that I find some of the tracks on here a little samey. The stand out ones in my opinion are Small Bump, You Need Me I Don't Need You, The A-Team (which I am pleased to note remains unaltered since its original release on 'Loose Change'), The City, Sunburn and the beautiful Little Bird, which can be found on the deluxe version of the album.

It is a rare thing to find an album where every single track is amazing and sadly this is not one of them, but what I can say for it is that all the songs on here compliment each other rather well. And oh my goodness, what a voice! It's worth buying just for the wonderful vocal work alone.

All in all I consider it to be one of the best first albums I have ever bought, and an excellent showcase of Ed's talents. Roll on the second album!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 June 2014
Note: This review is for the standard, single CD release.

Whilst we are all looking forward and waiting with anticipation for Ed Sheeran's upcoming second album 'x (multiply) ', I thought that I'd take the time to review his debut, which is, rather alarmingly now three years old.

'+' is an impressive showcase of a then twenty year old's quite exceptional talents. The man has a good soft voice, certainly knows his way around a guitar, and the album consists of catchy tunes with interesting lyrics. The songs range from the soulful and folksy, 'The A Team' is a gem that encouraged me to buy the album, to the more punchy like 'Drunk', and even shades of hip hop with the edgy 'You Need Me, I Don't Need You'.

Whilst there isn't a bad song to be found, some of them do sound quite similar, whilst a couple also start to wear on you after a while, hence the four stars. Nevertheless, it's a very playable album for the most part, and admirable for a man of such young years to be able too, not only sing as well as this, but to be able put together a debut entirely of his own songs, particularly when the material is good as it is.

The majority of the songs are written from Ed's own experiences as a struggling musician, and 'The A Team', according to an interview with 'Billboard' magazine, came from spending time assisting at a homeless shelter. He wrote the lyrics after hearing all of the stories of the homeless people there, which gives the tune a real heartfelt and sincere quality that some manufactured pop music will never have.

This is real music from a real musician. I strongly highly advise you to pick '+' up and discover Ed Sheeran, who I think has the ability to stick around for a while.
on 13 October 2011
Wow this is the best album I have heard in a very long time, beautiful voice and fantastic lyrics. Stretches over several different genres making Ed difficult to pigeonhole. He has rap and hip hop influences that appeals to the younger audience, whilst I heard the hidden track, "The Parting Glass", played on Mike Harding's BBC Radio 2 Folk Show. I am sure without doubt we will be hearing a lot more from Ed Sheeran for as very long time to come, he has ground out a loyal live following with his intensive live gigging over the last few years. 4 bonus tracks are on the "deluxe" version of this album and should not be missing in particular the outstanding ballad "Sunburn" and the Reggae influenced "Gold Rush".
There is not a bad track on the album and I can't wait to follow Ed's career as I am sure it will go from strength to strength.
on 12 October 2011
This is an amazing album Ed Sheeran is amazing, love it i listen to it all the time. Would definitely recommend people to buy it!
on 10 January 2016
The best songs from Ed Sheeran, i do prefer this to the X album as im more for easy listening chill out music, the vinyl is awesome as its translucent Orange so really pops on the record player, I have uploaded a photo so you can see its the translucent disc
review image
on 19 September 2011
this is by far one of the best albums of the year! kiss me, autum leaves, the a team and drunk at probably the best songs although the whole album is great. YOU HAVE TO GET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2011
I bought this CD for my daughter - her pocket-money had run out and she made a good fist for me up-fronting the cost; something about keeping her bedroom clean and tidy... Surprisingly, I'm glad I did, even if she did renege on the deal. After a week's worth of school runs, with Mr Sheeran belting out from the sound system, I have to say I rather like his style. The voice is strong, individual and convincing, the lyrics smooth, solid and interesting, and that compulsive strumming guitar gutsy and melodious. The breakthrough came when I realised I was still playing Mr Sheeran after I'd dropped off my daughter at the school gates, even singing along on a couple of the tracks. At my age I can't say better than that...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 September 2015
I love the artist and his music. To have this on an LP is magical because for me the sound is much better and raw. I love the orange disc too.

The only negative thing is the disc itself, there was an underlying low dragging sound on the record, very noticeable between songs and quiet parts of tracks. Needle, player of mine is fine.
on 14 April 2015
Really pretty special album with a certain long term star as long as he doesn't become too main stream. Like to think he'll keep writing about things he really feels mean something rather than just taking the money. Might be harder once you have all the trappings of a superstar. Like the way he mixes the style of his songs up.
on 30 April 2015
I loved this album so much I bought three copies and gave a couple to friends, they now love it too. What a sensitive wordsmith and competent musician Ed is, not afraid to tell it from the heart and share his experience. I never heard a guy sing about losing a chid before birth, Small Bump exquisite