on 26 April 2014
The Garmin Edge does all the things I want it to and more, it is great how it uploads to my computer automatically I just have to connect it with USB cable, click on Garmin connect and it's all there with charts that can be overlaid on each other so I can see why readings are affected by each other. I also like the fact that I can see all the data on my Nexus and my phone without doing anything but downloading the app. On the negative side I found it difficult to set it up originally and am convinced the first ride was using the GPS and not the sensor for my cadence, speed and distance, but these were soon overcome. I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys keeping records of, and analysing their rides. I don't do events anymore but if I was I am sure this would be a fantastic aid to improving my times.
on 19 August 2014
Does everything I really need and in a nice small package. Cadence and HR pack was included in this deal, which I consider to be a bargain. Routes work nicely with TCX files which I create on Strava and port across. No more to say except Buy one.
on 25 April 2017
great value for money great tem will buy again if needed
on 19 September 2013
I wanted to know how much climbing I'd done on a ride. Got that. Now I've joined a site where you compare your performance to that of others on segments of road - brilliant, completley addictive.
on 19 April 2015
Does everything I need it to do
on 21 May 2015
Good product , well worth the money
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 November 2012
I've been using the Garmin Edge 200 for over a year now and it's really good. I wanted to add a heart rate monitor though and the 200 doesn't support them so I went for the Edge 500. It's exactly the same size (and fits all the same brackets etc) as the 200 and provides so much more useful data. This data can be spread over 5 screens and you can have between 3 and 6 pieces of data on each of the screens (which can be a bit over kill!!).

It's all really simple to set up and the included heart rate monitor is really comfortable. There's so much more data to look at when you get back to once you've uploaded it to Garmin Connect.

All in all, this GPS unit is really good. There's every bit of data a cyclist could want really and more, all in a really nice small unit which also happens to look good (and the red and black match my bike perfectly!!)

Only gripe I had was that the buttons on the sides to change screens etc are a bit small and fiddly, especially in these winter months when you're always wearing gloves. Shouldn't be as much of an issue in summer, but with full finger gloves on it does get a bit annoying.

Other than that, I'm impressed and I love my Edge 500!
on 10 February 2012
Ive had the EDGE 500 for almost a year now and I can't think of anything thats given me better value for money. At first I just used it for motivation on rides, just to see how much I was improving. I then started to program in alarms for cadence, speed and HR for specific goals. I then started using it in the gym and dissecting the workouts on Garmin connect and trainingpeaks. You can pull out all kinds of data to improve workouts. My last experience with the EDGE 500 came about a week ago when I forgot to take it out of my sweatshirt after a run and my wife washed the whole unit. Im not talking about the chest strap....the actual unit. That bad boy spent 90 minutes at 45 Celcius spining at 1600 RPM and came out laughing. So I am baffled when I read the reviews about people having issues with raindrops. This is a great device.
on 24 February 2013
what can you say about the garmin,easy to use,addictive on strava,cadence sensor and hrm is great but not a must have,love it!!
on 15 November 2010
Cycle computers are essentially one of two types; the simple "how far, how fast, how long?" type, or the more complex, serious training aid. The Edge 500 is one of the latter and is consequently more expensive. It uses GPS to record actual position throughout your ride, as well as the other data displayed by the simpler devices, and stores all of the information in its internal memory. The stored data can be uploaded to a computer for analysis, and the route cycled can be shown as a map display (with Google maps an alternative). The rider may designate a stored route as a 'course'. The rider may then select a course. and race against a 'phantom competitor' over the course to improve his previous efforts. The computer detects when the rider is 'on course' and displays 'distance behind (ahead) and time behind (ahead). The information displayed can be selected by the rider. The bundle being reviewed also comes with a heart rate detector and a cadence (pedal rate) detector, so you can really push yourself to the limit! If want to enjoy your cycling and also want to use it to improve your fitness then this is a very useful gadget to have. I can recommnd it.
22 Comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse