on 27 August 2013
Here's another TV detective with damaged reputation, heart of gold worn on the sleeve shamelessly, flawed to the core. Still, much better writing and direction, photography and acting than in some of those awful american private eye potboilers.

Set in Edinburgh, unpronounceable by American critics, the dialogue can be a bit thick of accent, so keep the rewind button at hand. Some nice shots of the city and countryside, too. At least we see something other than the grime of Central London or the overly-sanitized throwback atmosphere of Midsomer! (Upon which I dote despite the retirement of John Nettles).

The plots are a bit rushed, and there are too many loose ends when each case if wrapped up, but definitely worth the low price, and far superior to the likes of "Monk" or "Murder, She Wrote" or that cigar-smoking detective in a dirty mac in San Francisco with the odd Italian name..
on 16 June 2013
I missed this first series when it was on TV and had to get on DVD after watching series 2.

My only complaints would be the endless clips of Jackson jogging with his childhood traumatic memory flashbacks interlaced with present day, which becomes rather laboured and tedious. Also the fact that he does get beaten up rather a lot!

Nevertheless, I believe I have fallen in love with Jason Isaac's Jackson Brodie! Such a versatile and excellent actor who has really brought the character to life and when the 2nd series was over (on TV), I missed it more than I expected!

I have read a couple of the Kate Atkinson novels which portray this character and also enjoyed other of her novels.

This drama series is a wonderful change from our beloved Morse and Lewis.

More please.
on 10 August 2013
I'd been wondering about this for a while, sounded like it might be right up my alley, (I love British detective shows!). Saw the first show in season 2 when we were in England, really liked it. Ordered both seasons when we got back to the states. Really love it. Haven't read the books, but how can you compare a book to a TV show anyway? Love that it takes place in Edinburgh. We're big fans of Rebus. I like that we see so much of his personal life. Our only complaint is the music! We're big music fans, but theses singers drive us crazy! For those who've not seen it, folky, bluesy female vocals, who, if we weren't watching with subtitles, would assume were actually one singer, but there are many. But definately not anything to keep us from loving the show.
on 11 May 2013
Jason Isaacs plays an ex police officer now a private detective. All the characters in the stories are real people in a way seldom shown on much of TV not least in this genre.The scenes between the lead character and his pre teen daughter, who lives with his ex-wife, I think are particularly brilliantly done as is the relationship between him and a former police colleague with whom he interacts on a regular basis.

With a wide variety of stories from the seemingly mundane to those that are not, they are all good.

Set in and around Edinbrugh,Scotland the land and cityscapes are atmospheric. I was pleased to see that the BBC are showing a new series in the UK from May 2013 and I will certainly be buying the DVD here in the USA when it is released
on 15 August 2016
Fantastic series and well worth the re-watch.

They mash-up and expand the Jackson Brodie books but to excellent effect. Fine acting from an excellent cast, a cast that keeps making you say "it's thingy from thing".

When will there be good news? With this DVD.
on 7 June 2014
I love these books, and the films are wonderfully made - and who can resist Jackson Brodie? (well not me anyway)
6 people found this helpful
on 20 April 2015
The series grew on me with watching it, so in the end I was sorry that there was not more. The final episode was particularly revealing of the subtelties of Scottish weather. It was set at and around Christmas, and there was snow and frost, and then again flourishing green vegetation, all within a few hours! Anyway, I would buy a second set of episodes wholeheartedly.
on 19 May 2018
If I had not read the excellent books I would not have had a clue. Hardly kept my interest beyond the first episode.
on 1 September 2014
This is an extremely watchable drama, adapted from Kate Atkinson's books. I admit to being biased as i love most programmes/films that feature Edinburgh, but all the same these are quirky detective stories that will appeal to anyone who likes the crime genre. Occasionally Jason Isaacs gets his top off too, which is an added bonus for some!
3 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2018
An excellent series based on the brilliant books by Kate Atkinson and faithful to her characterisation and events. Good directing and brilliant acting from Jason Isaacs and the whole cast.