Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 3 April 2014
I just love this movie. Well written, well observed and very well acted by every performer. Leaves the watcher with a hint of sadness
that real life is exactly like this - never quite matching up to the younger persons dreams and expectations but well worth the living anyway.
on 16 March 2009
An amazing cast led by,Timothy Hutton,Matt Dillon,Uma Thurman,and Natalie Portman,plus many others.If its action and special effects you want,then forget it.This film is all dialogue led,but what dialogue.A brilliantly written and beautifully observed take on what women want and what guys are really like when we are together.Rosie O'donnells 'Playboy' rant is hilarious,as is the scene where the guys discuss the girls from school(waaaay to close to home!)There are also some fantastic one liners.
Any critisisms? Yes,I couldnt stand Neil Diamonds 'Sweet Caroline' before seeing this film and I hate it even more now! Finally....Uma Thurman is heartbrakingly beautiful in this film.If you want to relax and watch a film with great writing--I highly recommend this film. 5 stars.
on 2 May 2007
Having spent the best part of forty years watching hundreds of films on screen, tv and dvd, I`ve come to the slightly surprising conclusion that Beautiful Girls is quite possibly the one I enjoyed the most. It's a film about thwarted ambitions and trying to get the most out of life in small town America and, within this modest remit, it's just about perfect. The dialogue is smart and involving without being patronising or clichéd, and it is matched by some faultless ensemble acting from the cast The direction is so good you don't notice it, and I can't think of any higher praise than that. The only thing I can fault is the banal title, which was probably meant ironically but grates nonetheless. It's one of those priceless films that leaves you with a good feeling inside no matter how many times you watch it.
on 6 September 2010
I can't believe this superb film is available for a measly £3 - talk about a bargain !
This is easily one of my all time faves , classic stuff and well worth taking a chance on at that price , truly.
Had the DVD for years but i wish they'd put out a new 2 disc version with lots of extras to enjoy (or even a 3 disc box set with the soundtrack on CD !) , i'll be first in line for a copy . Tremendously excellent !
on 2 September 2014
I first watched this film over 30 years ago and really enjoyed the way the film pulled you into the story.
I must admit I was unsure about purchasing this DVD as it is a Spanish version however the speed of delivery and the informative instructions helped make is easy viewing.
Now I know I don’t have to wait another 30 years to watch it again.
on 29 May 2007
Whilst most of the reviews have said it all I still felt moved to add my 2 cents worth. Starting slowly and gently I was immediately comfortable with this movie but wondering if it was going to go anywhere. Perhaps it might lull you into a false sense of security and then explode into violence. There is humour and wit aplenty but for me it wasn't a comedy, more a tale of love and friendship and a healthy dose of real life. The characters are all immediately recognisable, be they American, British, or from any part of the world. The word comfortable returns again and gradually I was drawn into their small town world and felt like I lived there and wanted to know these people. The stars for me are Timothy Hutton, a real fave of mine and Natalie Portman. Their tenderly drawn blossoming friendship across the picket fence becomes a beautiful glowing "courtship" of sorts that could have led somewhere "in five years time." Natalie, a self described "old soul" is very wise beyond her years, captivating Hutton's days back in his old hometown. His friends have their own relationship difficulties with twists and turns, pain and angst. There is much flirting in the movie with the arrival of Uma Thurman seriously cranking up the heat. How it all turns out is for you to discover and I cannot recommend this movie highly enough. Six stars out of five, immensely and richly enjoyable and rewarding.
on 28 March 2009
It's a suburbian story revolving around a loving cast (Matt Dillon, Rosi o'Donnell, Uma Thurman, and Natalie Portman at her best)about a lost bygone youth and the question of 'What have I done with my live'. The atmosphere and the soundtrack are in perfect harmony, so that you wish this movie never to end.
on 23 January 2002
If you liked John Hughes' movies about growing up as a teenager then I think you'll love this about life in your twenties. If for no other reason you must see this for Rosie O'Donnell's diatribe on how men view women, its hysterical and worth having in the collection just for this. Plenty of other funny moments too, a film you can throw on and just sit back and enjoy without having to get too involved in if you don't want to. The cast is superb and bring to life a quiet New England style town contrasting the lifes and loves of those that have stayed and those that have left for the big city as they come together for the local High School Reunion. There is nothing particularly unique about the plot but good script and good acting take it a notch above the ordinary. Picture and sound quality are good but that's all you get so unless you can utilise the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, watch it when it comes on TV
on 23 May 2016
I love this movie. It is timeless! It manages to portray how men think and how women think and how they interact with eachother.
on 22 November 2011
Simply love this film. Great feel to it. Great actors, good background track. I always tend to watch this in the winter!