on 25 August 2013
This is a great Baroque album of Corelli's op 6 Concerti Grossi. It won a Gramophone Awards Collection for Early Music - Baroque 1989. There have been a lot of changes in performance practice and interpretation but this is still an outstanding performance and recording. Of course I love the No. 8 in G minor 'Christmas Concerto'. It is truly inspiring. Another full concerto that I particularly enjoy is No 4 in D major. Corelli seems to have enjoyed F major since there are four concerti in F major ( Nos 2, 6, 9, 12) And in all the concertos there are things to admire whether from the soloists,or the continuo players or the main band. The English Concert with Trevor Pinnock are a class act. This is a lovely collection to own.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 January 2014
I thought this an excellent recording. It shows just how much later composers took from this master. The lines are clear, ensemble is terrific and the tempi seem to me to be just right. This is just the performance to lighten a cold wintry day!
3 people found this helpful
on 15 June 2017
Well-recorded, beautiful music.
on 21 February 2014
Having read the reviews of others, I decided to purchase this CD. Once I had listened to it, I too was mesmerised by the beautiful playing of this group and now consider this the best classical CD of my vast collection. You must buy it!!!!!!
One person found this helpful
on 29 June 2013
Heard on a dance program on Sky Arts tv
Loved the pieces I heard. Soundhound couldn't identify it, but a bit of googling led me to it! Well worth the search for this lovely piece
One person found this helpful
on 18 December 2014
A fine recording performed by the best.
on 10 April 2015
sublime
on 25 January 2010
Before I bought these CD's I had only come across No.1 and No.8 before.Now I know them all, I have played them many times. I can only describe these performances as electrifying. Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert bring such clarity and energy to the music, you will not want to put the CD down.If you only buy one CD this year make sure it is this one.You are sure to be as thrilled as I was.
23 people found this helpful
on 21 January 2010
I heard the theme of concerto no 8 by Corelli, which is part of this CD,on TV and began searching for this particular piece on amazon.co.uk which gave the result Corelli: 12 concerti Grossi Op 6 conducted by Niel Pinnock. It is some of the most beautifull music performed by great musicians. Well worth the price.
Carsten Groa
Denmark
14 people found this helpful
on 26 May 2016
I have been unable to download the album onto my computer - each time I try it says that there has been an unexpected error. I buy mp3 from Amazon regularly and it's been the first time it's happened. Very disappointing!