on 1 August 2017
A really enjoyable book with some real laugh out loud moments but also a few incredibly sad moments. Ben's dad sounds like he was a fabulous character and I loved the T shirt moment. I've now downloaded another of his books
on 8 October 2017
Any one with children who goes out for the day will relate to this funny book 😀
on 30 August 2017
I loved this book and the anecdotes of a man with his young family. Hilariously funny most of time although very sad in places. Highly recommend.
on 21 November 2011
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8000 Miles Around Britain in a Vauxhall AstraI hardly ever review books. But I just had to come back to tell everyone how much I have thoroughly enjoyed this one and quite honestly, couldn't put it down. Therefore, sorry Mr Hatch, but mine is covered in Spaghetti Bolognaise; some from cooking and some from my own mouth as I guffawed whilst reading and eating at classic, we've all been there moments such as Phoebe shouting at Charlie for looking out of 'her' car window to the 'Mummy stood in Charlie poo' incident - the latter not really suitable for mealtime reading!

As a Mum of 5 myself, I laughed, cried, snorted chips from the back of my throat through my nasal passages.. oh the agony and the irony and most importantly, the similarity between the Hatch Family's adventures around Britain to many of my own travels with family over the last 20 years or so.

Frank, open, honest, emotional; I had some uncomfortable memories of dealing with the death of a parent, whilst realising many of my emotions around that time where in fact quite the norm. It's astonishing and kind of Ben Hatch to share such intimate detail. I was right there in the story and felt I wanted to hug the whole family during the sadder, more stressful moments adn jump up and down during the more triumphant moments. Please tell us which Cafe in the Lake District refused to heat the baby food - I want to go there, stare at them angrily for five minutes and say "That was for Charlie!" ...if that's OK ;-P

A great book and a must buy for every parent who ever travels with children to help see the funny side of it all. Can't wait for another from Ben Hatch!
on 20 December 2011
What a joy this book is! Reminded me of so many trips with my own children many years ago - and reassuring to know that things have not changed much in over 40 years!Then we had a Vauxhall Viva, but the scenes were frighteningly similar. The atmospheric word pictures transport you with startling accuracy into the back of the sweet-wrapper, crisp infested back seat of the car with two kids. Just as you are laughing like a drain you will be plunged into the worries any family has when an ageing parent is making a journey of their own which you feel is so real that you are right there with Ben and his brother holding their hands and wiping tears away. In no time the tears become tears of laughter again, as overall it is a very happy book, and beautifully written. One of those rare animals, these days: a book you want to tell everyone you meet to go out and buy - because you don't want to risk losing your own copy as you know you would never get it back from any friend it is loaned to!
on 21 February 2012
If you want information on child friendly attractions buy the Frommer's Guide that came out of Ben and Dinah Hatch's 8,000 mile drive around Britain with their two toddlers. If you want a book that is a genuinely "nice" read, buy this. I'm sorry if "nice" is a word that grates with some people but for me it's the most appropriate word to describe it as, as he records his family's adventures, Ben creates a warm, generous and affectionate glow in the reader .

Like everyone else who is likely to buy it, I read with interest the few curmudgeonly one star reviews on Amazon before splashing out my 99p and I can only say that those reviewers are truly on a different planet as, for example, there is no sign of Ben and Dinah's children being anything other than normal toddlers and Dinah's bad driving is clearly exaggerated for comic effect. Okay there are one or two factual inaccuracies but this is pleasant entertainment and not sold as a traveller's bible.

The journey was a massive achievement although one that was tinged with great sadness as Ben describes his emotions at the loss of his father during the family's time on the road. His writing on his father's death is genuine and conveys true love between father and son in an extremely touching way - if my own children have feelings like this for me and my wife I will consider our parenting a job well done.

It's not hilarious - and I don't think it was ever intended to be. It's pleasant, well written and thoroughly enjoyable. And, unlike a lot of Kindle books, it's not riddled with typos and editing errors.

So why only four stars? See my profile for my interpretation of Amazon star ratings.
on 21 July 2012
A wonderful, life-affirming read, running the gamut of emotions from slapstick comedy and "Outnumbered" style family dynamics to the slow, heart-rending death of the author's father and his need to come to terms with their complex relationship. Yes, it's a travel book, but really that's just a metaphor for (dare I say it?) the journey that the author is on dealing with his father's terminal illness, and at the same time it's a significant staging post in his own fatherhood. It's one of those books that you can easily get completely wrapped up in purely because you enjoy the author's company (and that of his spirited wife and children too) - but there's very much more to it than that. It would be interesting to see how the "real" travel guide turned out that Ben Hatch was commissioned to write, for which he took this very British road trip. A gem.
on 7 December 2012
I was badly needing something uplifting to read and bought this after a recommendation from a Twitter chum! So glad I did. And not because it's laughter all the way. Yes, it made me laugh out loud - the descriptions of the interactions between parents and children were so funny. As are the descriptions of the destinations on this tour of the country. I particularly loved the section on the Lake District!
Then there's the ups and downs of the brilliantly real relationship between husband and wife while they are all confined to a car or "one night stand" accommodation.
There is also the relationship between Ben and his Dad, who is dying. All the relationships are beautifully written and totally believable and ultimately full of joy .
My only problem was that I wanted it to go on. I need to know how the children got on when they started nursery/ school. I understand a follow up is coming and look forward to it. Just don't tell us any more about alternative uses for a toothbrush please Ben!
I enjoyed every bit of the book. I wanted something uplifting and that's exactly what I got.
on 21 January 2012
This is a must read book! I have never laughed or cried or so hard while reading it. Ben and his wife and kids travel over 8000 miles in their car to write a travel guide. Some of the things that happen during the 5 months it takes them to complete their journey will have you shaking your head and going 'yeah yeah I can relate to that'. Ben Hatch has a truly remarkable family. I can't recommend this book enough. It is just fantastic! Read it! NOW!
on 14 June 2013
Well, who d have thought it? A travel book that had me laughing out loud one moment then I was bracing myself for the inevitable sad ending that was was coming.. The idea for this book is brilliant.. a family with 2 young children travelling the length and breadth of the country doing reviews on child friendly places to visit and stay. Some are good.. some not so and all through the book we are aware that the authors father is poorly.. very poorly. Hopes are raised and dashed but its dealt with sympathically.. I made sure I was alone when I was getting near to the part when the author realised that his dad hadnt got long left to live.. Theres a second book that is now on my wish list and I cant wait to read it.