Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

UNTYING THE KNOT
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

VINE VOICEon 7 September 2011
How does Linda Gillard do it? She writes such easy to read books, that flow and are never ever a chore to read, and yet they contain so much emotion and such depth to the story and characterisations.

This latest offering is about Fay and Magnus, a couple who divorced but never fell out of love with each other. Fay works with textiles, making what sound like some wonderful pieces, and Magnus is an ex-army man with PTSD. They're interesting characters in their own right, but put together they become even more intriguing as their love story is revealed. Added to the mix is Tullibardine Tower, a ruined castle that Magnus has taken on and renovated as a labour of love.

There are very few supporting characters in this book, because they are not needed, but I did particularly like Jessie, Magnus's mother.

This is another beautifully written book by one of my favourite authors. I feel that Linda Gillard gets to the very heart of what her characters are about, and their feelings.

I can't wait for her next book, whether it be self-published on Kindle or if a publisher actually takes a chance on a unique and brilliant writer. Publishers, you're missing out, but thankfully we, the readers, are not anymore!
on 14 July 2017
One of my favourite authors and the best read so far. Fantastic understanding of PTSD. Believable characters. Kept me reading until 3.30 am. Amazing!
on 20 November 2015
Linda Gillard has done it again! I love the way she writes. She moves from past to present effortlessly, so that it doesn't jar. A woman nursing her hurt, loving a man impossible to live with because of his past experiences. Well done.
on 21 June 2017
tastefully written about what our brave soldiers go through when and if they come home. would highly recommend it
on 4 June 2017
This turned out to be surprisingly entertaining. The head dialogues were a bit much.
on 22 February 2013
Any die-hard romantics will not be disappointed if they choose to read this book. I managed to read this book with out getting impatient or irritated by it as it kept me interested and happy to pick up where I left off whenever I had some spare time. Enjoyable and easy to read.
on 27 April 2017
Very good
on 9 September 2011
It's impossible not to ache for the hero and heroine in this stunning novel. In a classic can't-live-with-him-can't-live-without-him situation - but with a heartrending extra dimension in Magnus's PTSD - Fay and Magnus have been the saving of each other, literally and metaphorically, yet life together seems impossible. Fay has divorced Magnus, unable to cope with the very thing that has restored his sanity after being invalided out of the army: Tullibardine Tower, a ruin he has devoted all his energy to restoring.

Magnus is a magnificent hero: courageous, troubled, vulnerable and impulsive (all my favourites). His struggles with PTSD - the nightmares, the flashbacks, the hallucinations and the paranoia - only serve to make him more humanly heroic. Fay is gutsy, intelligent, and no pushover: I loved her preparations for the trauma that is Magnus's engagement party to another woman. And she has a terrific sense of humour: there is one passage, told in the first person by Fay, that made me genuinely laugh out loud. There was nothing I wanted more than to see these two damaged people back together; yet I didn't see how it was possible.

Linda Gillard does not shy away from difficult subjects, and Magnus does something to Fay that makes the reader reel; yet for all his faults, I never once stopped liking him. The denouement is absolutely gripping.

I'm not one of those who has lost faith in traditional publishing - which makes me all the more bewildered that this brave, timely novel did not find a home with a big publishing house. Come on, somebody: grab it. It's not too late.
on 6 September 2011
This is my 3rd book by Linda Gillard, and once again it is a triumph! Linda excels at creating a world and characters that draw you in so thoroughly you don't feel like you are reading a book, you are immersed in their lives, it's not a character, it's a friend telling you their story!
Once again, it's an entirely different type of book than her others too, you certainly can't fit Linda in a box, but I think that's where her strengths lie!
And also, once again, an entirely different hero to those we've had before! In House of Silence I was attracted to Marek straight away, and that attraction grew as the story progressed, in Star Gazing's Keir, I fell in love at first sight like a star struck teenager, but with Untying the Knot, I was drawn to Magnus, I was intrigued by this interesting and damaged man, and initially wanted to know more of him, before ultimately wanting to be there for him, to try and heal him in some way, almost maternally! At the same time, rooting for him and Fay to sort themselves out!
I was completely gripped by the story, so much so I very much begrudged the arrival of 3 o'clock, school run time, and had to tear myself away to go fetch my son, and was back into it as soon as I could on my return!
Highly recommend this one, it will stay with me for a very long time! My only gripe was it ended far too soon!!
on 26 August 2012
Well, that was a surprise! I've known Linda Gillard since we were both debut authors with Transita Ltd and I've read all her books. I was quite sure that my favourite was, and always would be, 'Star Gazing'. It'll certainly stay with me as a memorable story but my goodness, 'Untying the Knot' has leaped up into first place now. You think it's going to be a 'can't live with him, can't live without him' sort of book, and so it is, but it's so much more. There are twists and turns, passions unleashed, violence and tenderness, emotions all over the place coming at you from all corners so that you're never sure where your allegiance lies, with Fay or Magnus - or with neither of them. In amongst the turmoil there are moments of great peace when the reader, and the protagonists, can take a moment's rest, then all hell breaks out again.
Not a comfortable book but written with a clear-sighted sympathy, this is a story that will stay with you.