Customer reviews

K.A.R.M.A
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 February 2014
This is a book that's difficult to read at times and so, because I only give 5* to books that I want to read again, I struggled with rating it. But felt I had to give it an extra * for tackling a difficult topic really well.

It's not a "child abuse" story as such. In fact it's pretty hard to categorise it at all. Hackett is a pot smoking freelance photographer, scanning the police radio to try and get his scoop. When he heads to a public toilet in a park, following up on a lead of a brutally murdered man, little does he know what chain of events he is setting in motion.

But the underlying current of the book (without giving too much away) is the pain and helplessness of abused boys and girls. The writing is skilful as, at times, it only takes a paragraph describing a boy who's tired, dirty, hungry and scared to go home to paint a vivid picture. Powerfully written.

And, in between, we come to know Hackett's dysfunctional family, his beautiful and ambitious girlfriend (Chandra) and his deaf geek-withdrawn-from-the-world friend, Fats. When the chips are down and Hackett is in trouble will Fats be able to overcome his crippling agoraphobia?

Don't be put off (as I almost was) by an early passage of chat-room speak between Cipher, Needle, Theresa and others. It's a crucial part of the storyline that the characters in this book are all chained to the Internet in different ways. And not all of them are using it for good things.

I have to recommend that you read this book. There are some difficult (fairly brutal) scenes - but they are kept short and don't feel gratuitous.
on 1 August 2014
This is a tale of adult black deeds followed by equally dark revenge executed by abused children. Fast-paced for sure, and pure escapism (if such a term could be used for such a grim theme). Hackett, a freelance photographer, the main character, seemed to possess a variable personality. From his eyebrow rings etc. he should have been a shade more off centre than a lot of his non-online dialogue suggests. At times he had downright conservative tendencies.
Generally well written although I found the story wobbled a bit towards the end and the young character in question requires large dollops of suspension of disbelief. Not that I know anything about the damaged psyches involved so the mental tangle might be realistic. I rate it just a shade under four stars.
on 14 January 2012
Another brilliant book from Grant McKenzie who has quickly established himself as one of the best thriller writers in the business.

KARMA (Kids Against Rape, Murder, Abuse) is a group of kids taking violent, bloody revenge against their abusers - all coordinated through secret online chatrooms by the mysterious Cypher.
Hackett - a freelance photographer - gets lucky and captures photographs of the first murder scene but that only drags him, his friends and family in to KARMA's web.

The plot fizzes along, the characters are well drawn and interesting. I certainly hope we get to see more of Hackett, Fats and Chandra!
3 people found this helpful
on 1 August 2013
This book has sat on my kindle for a wee while as I couldn't find time to start it properly.... so when I did it was an amazing experience.

Grant writes fluently and effectively. I couldn't' work out who the protagonists, hiding behind chat room names, were. I had to keep reading even as I worried that this would result in the death of the main adult characters Hackett, Chandra and Fats. (well done on the rescue Fats, btw)

Well done, brilliant read, looking forward to another :-)
on 22 March 2012
Having acquired a Kindle for my birthday, I was looking for something good to read on it. I had previously read the print editions of Grant's other novels, Switch and No Cry For Help and had enjoyed them immensely. So, I decided that the first Kindle novel I would read would be "K.A.R.M.A". My decision was richly rewarded.

The synopsis of the story is listed above, so I won't go into that. I will only comment that it was an interesting story concept and well executed by the author. There is some 'colourful language' and some scenes which are graphic in nature. Therefore, I might suggest that 'sensitive souls' might be better finding something else to read. However, there is nothing I haven't read elsewhere in popular thrillers currently available. Everything adds a realism to the characters and story setting.

The tension is taut throughout the story and you constantly have that nagging feeling that there are some twists on the way but you can't be sure exactly what. The twists do come and build to a satisfying climax.

Overall, this is another winner from the storyspinner, Grant McKenzie!
3 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2013
I haven't read anything by this author before, but really keen now to read his other books.

I found this story to be well written, with good tension throughout the book. The characters were well realised, and easy to identify with.

The only negative comment is the proof reading could have been much better. There were some unintentional howlers in there - such as the paramedics putting a wet compost on the sore eyes of Uncle Frank!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 13 April 2013
Never read this author before and didn't expect much from a free Kindle book but what a surprise. Excellent storyline which keeps you guessing right up to the very end. The ending also suggests that there may be a sequel perhaps? Will definitely look into other books by this author in the future. My only minor moan would be the font - the Kindle book seems to be typed as if it was on your grandmothers manual typewriter which was very off putting when I started the book.
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2013
Karma is about a group who are not above using all resources at their disposal to get back at those who despoiled their childhood. Tom Hackett is one of their unwitting resources, and K.A.R.M.A - think anonymous of internet fame- but with one sole purpose, and you have the story right here. Some scenes are graphic and heartbreaking and if you're a child abuse survivor, probably triggering.
on 31 August 2014
Nearly four stars but not quite. An interesting plot with some good characters but a little unbelievable in bits. I didn't feel that there was any real twists or turns if I'm honest but the pace was solid and it'll hold you attention making for a quick read.
on 2 May 2013
My husband is the one who buys the Kindle books. He downloads them to his ipad.

He never goes to the Library now because the large print books are in small supply, but on the iPad he can enlarge the writing to his liking.

He loved this book and all the other books he has read by this author.