on 27 May 2016
Very clever idea. Well written but poor end.
on 11 November 2013
A very enjoyable and well written book. The plot is unique (in my experience) and a far cry from the young-hero-gaining-mystical-powers stereotype. The characters are interesting. The ending is more satisfactory than most 1st in trilogy books.

I have one, tiny, niggle (and when I tell you what it is, you will think me very petty). It's the demographic/geography detail. Most of the action takes place in a town of (we are told) 20,000 inhabitants. This place has nobility, a series of murderable dukes and relatives, a thieves guild and a very powerful assassins guild. It also has a number of districts. It isn't the capital, and in other ways seems like a provincial town.

Well, I have lived in places with 5,000, 65,000 and 500,000 inhabitants. Only the last of those could have supported such a diverse collection of groups - and then only just. In the pre-industrial 17th century, London would have been the only town in the British Isles to support the events of this book.

You are probably thinking 'what a ridiculous thing to get hung up on'. And I agree! I mention it for two reasons - firstly I did find it distracting, secondly, if this is all I could find to whinge about, then this is a VERY good book!
on 21 July 2013
Engaging and captivating...starts simple and interesting but as you get deeper into the book, the story, characters and plots thicken. I initially thought this is a weak version of Brent Week's Night Angel, but a wonderful book nonetheless.
on 9 January 2014
Despite the similarities with other stories, this story manages to keep its own unique slant on the basic premise and gives the reader a good time.

It's fast paced, full of engaging characters whether you love or loathe them, and it leaves a believable opening for more. Believe me, when you finish this one you are ready for more.
on 18 November 2014
I chose this book due to the reviews and the cover if I'm honest and wow am I glad that I did.I struggled a little bit in the beginning as the story took a little time to get going but once it did 5 stars from me it has everything it is fantastic
on 14 December 2013
I generally love fantasy and medieval books so this was right-up my street. It was slightly different from the many others in this category and had some really good characters with a mix of romance,martial artists and corrupt villains.
on 22 December 2014
A book that gets you hooked in the first few pages with great story and character you just have find out about and see where there story takes them . A well thought out book and will be buying the next in the series after this review.
on 1 September 2014
New approach to fantasy fiction very impressed now on book two already purchased book 3 would recommend to fans of fantasy
good character building with plenty of excitement built in .
on 15 September 2014
The book was a great read but the story was rather fast paced not leaving much to explore on but just bought no2 so hopefully more elaboration
on 6 November 2013
I enjoyed reading this book, it's full of action with twists and turns, and good, and evil characters to boot.
Thank you.