Customer reviews

on 11 November 2013
A very enjoyable and well written book. The plot is unique (in my experience) and a far cry from the young-hero-gaining-mystical-powers stereotype. The characters are interesting. The ending is more satisfactory than most 1st in trilogy books.

I have one, tiny, niggle (and when I tell you what it is, you will think me very petty). It's the demographic/geography detail. Most of the action takes place in a town of (we are told) 20,000 inhabitants. This place has nobility, a series of murderable dukes and relatives, a thieves guild and a very powerful assassins guild. It also has a number of districts. It isn't the capital, and in other ways seems like a provincial town.

Well, I have lived in places with 5,000, 65,000 and 500,000 inhabitants. Only the last of those could have supported such a diverse collection of groups - and then only just. In the pre-industrial 17th century, London would have been the only town in the British Isles to support the events of this book.

You are probably thinking 'what a ridiculous thing to get hung up on'. And I agree! I mention it for two reasons - firstly I did find it distracting, secondly, if this is all I could find to whinge about, then this is a VERY good book!
5 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2014
Despite the similarities with other stories, this story manages to keep its own unique slant on the basic premise and gives the reader a good time.

It's fast paced, full of engaging characters whether you love or loathe them, and it leaves a believable opening for more. Believe me, when you finish this one you are ready for more.
on 21 July 2013
Engaging and captivating...starts simple and interesting but as you get deeper into the book, the story, characters and plots thicken. I initially thought this is a weak version of Brent Week's Night Angel, but a wonderful book nonetheless.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2013
I generally love fantasy and medieval books so this was right-up my street. It was slightly different from the many others in this category and had some really good characters with a mix of romance,martial artists and corrupt villains.
on 1 September 2014
New approach to fantasy fiction very impressed now on book two already purchased book 3 would recommend to fans of fantasy
good character building with plenty of excitement built in .
on 27 May 2016
Very clever idea. Well written but poor end.
on 21 April 2014
I very much enjoyed this book, gripping easy to read and hard to put down can't wait to read the next book
on 22 December 2014
A book that gets you hooked in the first few pages with great story and character you just have find out about and see where there story takes them . A well thought out book and will be buying the next in the series after this review.
on 3 February 2014
It held my attention to the very end with a good twist to make me want to read the next instalment.
on 23 July 2013
Light and easy nice action in the fights could have dine with a touch of humour more every now and then but otherwise enjoyable