on 5 March 2017
Great camera for non or semi professionals. SLR quality pics.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 November 2011
I've been using a Panasonic GF1 for two years now and quite happy with it. It offers good image quality and flexibility - though I must admit I spend most of the time in aperture priority mode and change aperture size to suit the subject and light levels.

I also have a Nikon D700 digital SLR but its just so big and heavy and so often gets left behind in favour of the lighter Panasonic GF1.

What tempted me to upgrade to the Sony NEX 5N was:

1. Sweep panorama feature. This makes creating panorama photos, whereby multiple photos are joined in to one extra wide photo, very easy. To do this normally you'd need a tripod and a fair bit of time and patience. I have created a panorama with my Nikon D700 but it involved carrying a heavy tripod and takes around 15 - 20 minutes including post processing. With the Sony the same thing takes less than a minute and no need for a tripod. I was surprised at how good the results from a Sony Panorama shot are. It tends to work better at the wider end of the 18-55 lens - more hit and miss at the telephoto end with some blurring.

2. Auto HDR. Cameras just can't cope with the wide level of light intensity you get in some scenes in the way our eyes can. One solution is to take multiple photos of a scene at different levels of exposure and then back home process the images with software to create an image that combines the right exposure for the bright areas and also for dark areas. Again this requires a tripod and quite a bit of time. With the Sony NEX 5N it takes just a few seconds! I was bowled over by how good the results are.

What I like about the Sony's auto HDR is its subtle. For example when you have a shot on sunny day and you want both the sky and ground to be correctly exposed. Normally the issue is which do you expose for - sky or ground - but now you can have your cake and eat it and have both correctly exposed - within limits! While its "auto" you can change its settings and sometimes this is necessary to get the best result.

What the auto HDR won't do is create the freaky/alien looking photos you often see people create using HDR. I personally don't like these unnatural looking shots but its personal preference. I just want to make sure shadows retain details and the highlights are not blown out.

3. Light weight and small body. I was surprised how tiny the camera and lens are - even compared to my Panasonic GF1. To compare:
* Panasonic GF1 with zoom lens, battery and inside the smallest case available weighs 710g approx.
* The Sony NEX 5N with battery, zoom lens and case weights just 600g.
* My Nikon D700 with battery, lightweight bag and general purpose zoom is almost 2400g!!!! That's 4 times heavier than the Sony NEX 5N.

4. NEX 5N's amazing high ISO quality. After looking at a number of reviews I realised the Sony NEX 5N has amazingly low levels of noise even at high ISOs of 3200 or 6400.
I did some test shots with the old Panasonic GF1 and the new Sony NEX 5N and there's just no competition. Its not like its a subtle difference you really have to look for - the difference is huge. I guess ISO 800 on the Panasonic is just about on a par with 3200 on the Sony - even then the Sony is marginally better in terms of noise. High ISO images are not just less noisy but the colours are punchier than the Panasonic.

I used to avoid above ISO 800 on my Panasonic GF1 but with the Sony NEX 5N I'm happy to go up to ISO 3200 and know the results will still be good. Even ISO 6400 is acceptable - things do get a bit noisy after that though.

I also compared the Sony NEX 5N to my full frame Nikon D700 DSLR - which is known for having excellent high ISO capabilities. The Nikon high ISO images are very slightly better - less grainy, less noise and punchier. But the difference is very small until you get to ISO 6400 and above, then the Nikon is clearly better but the Sony gives the Nikon a run for its money. At ISO 3200 viewing images on screen at 100% you can see a very slight difference - but at normal print size I think you'd struggle to tell the two apart.

5. LCD display that tilts. This didn't influence my decision to buy the Sony but something I have found useful since buying the camera. The ability to shoot over a crowd ( or low on the ground ) and flip the screen so I can still see it is definitely very useful, though not something I use all the time.

For me the pro's more than outweigh the cons but here are the downsides:

1. The Sony has very flexible controls - not quite as easy to use as the Panasonic. The Panasonic GF1 has more buttons that act as short cuts to changing ISO setting, camera mode, etc. You can program the Sony buttons but there's not quite enough physical buttons for all the settings I need - so occasionally there can be some going through menus. Not a major chore but it does lose out to the GF1 in this respect. However I notice the newer Panasonic's don't have the buttons of the GF1 anyway.

2. Range of E mount lenses if quite limited. For most people its just about enough. The kit lens is good but not stellar - option to buy a better quality general purpose lens would be nice - but then perhaps it'd also be heavy - spoiling the Sony's light weight advantage. I understand from the Internet more lens are likely to be released in 2012 but nothing definite.

3. Clicks during video filming. A problem so wide spread Sony now has a news announcement on its site telling you about it and recommending you send the camera back. Sony have promised to fix the issue for later production I would say until current stocks are used up the issue will remain. I guess if you buy this camera in 2012 the issue will be solved. But it certainly wasn't with the camera I bought in early November 2011.

I use the camera as a still camera mostly and the clicks I find moderately annoying rather than show stopping - so rather than part with the camera I've not sent it back.

4. Ok build quality but you'd not want to knock it around too much! Unlike Nikon D700 which is built like and tank and feels as heavy as one - the Sony doesn't feel like it could take too much abuse. Don't get me wrong its well built but the SLR does win in terms of the level of abuse it can take - especially water. The Nikon is semi waterproof and I have used it in the rain - I don't dare test the Sony but I doubt it would survive a heavy rain shower.

Overall I'm really pleased with this camera. Good image quality - some genuinely useful features and very lightweight for this type of camera. But if movies are your priority wait a few months till they fix the click issue.

5. Battery life. I could take the Panasonic GF1 on holiday for a week, shoot a couple of hundred photos and still have loads of battery life left. I've not yet holidayed with the Sony but after a day out taking around 30 or 40 photos it was down to 70% ( very approx ). I guess time will tell how well the battery does but I think a spare would be useful.

6. Lens flare with Sony 18-55mm kit lens. I've been on a few day trips with the camera and have noticed its very susceptible to lens flare - much more so than any other lens I've owned ( and I've owned quite a few over the years ). In a recent photo the sun was actually not in frame but shining strongly from the left hand side - even with the lens hood that caused flare.

Its not a disaster - lens flare doesn't happen every time and often its quite small but certainly something this lens seems prone to compared to the kit lens on my Panasonic GF1.

7. Issues with battery compatibility. At the same time as buying the camera I bought the "Sony NPFW50 Battery for NEX/A33/A55" from Amazon themselves ( not a marketplace seller ). But while the battery is the same size, when I installed it an "Incompatible battery" message appears and the camera shuts off!

I contacted Sony support but they were distinctly unhelpful and said must be a fault with the camera - even though the battery it came with works perfectly. I notice a search on the Internet shows I'm not alone in suffering from this issue. It seems sometimes batteries work, sometimes they don't - but not easy to be sure which will and which won't. I assumed because I bought a genuine Sony one it would work - at least I assume its genuine! I wonder if there's a firmware issue with the NEX 5N but don't have enough evidence to be sure.

*** Gotcha to watch out for ***

May just have been my bad luck but when my Sony arrived all batteries main battery and also internal battery for storing settings were drained.
I charged up the main battery but hadn't been aware of the internal battery. So when I tried to set the date it appeared to work, but when I checked it'd not saved the date changes.

I must have spent 20 minutes thinking I'd done something wrong - but each time I tried the date just wouldn't stay set and when I tried to take a photo nothing happened!
Eventually I discovered in the manual that the internal battery gets charged up over time by the main battery.

After an hour of leaving the charged main battery in, the internal battery was charged enough to store the date and actually take photos.

*** Update 25 May 2012 ***

I've taken almost a thousand photos now with this camera.

Having used the camera now for a while my impressions are:

1. Still image quality is really, really good.

2. Its a very lightweight and portable camera - I use it with a Sony NEX LCS-BBF Carry Pouch for NEX with 18 - 55mm Lens - Grey case which fits the camera and lens well and adds very little weight. Because its so lightweight and small I now often take my camera with me - bigger cameras I've owned often got left at home.

3. The Sony 18-55mm lens is very good. Its especially good between 24mm and 35mm. I purchased a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Sony E-mount Cameras because its very small and light and assumed being a fixed lens it'd produce higher quality images. In fact there's nothing between the two lenses at 30mm.

4. Where the Sony 18-55mm lens is weaker is at the 18mm end - especially wide open ( f3.5 or f4 ). Stopping down to f5.6 produces better image quality. I also purchased the Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens and this does give a noticeable improvement in image quality - especially at f4 and below but even at f8 to f11. The corners are where the most improvements is noticed. I take a lot of landscape shots and almost half at at 18mm - so now I often use the 19mm Sigma instead.

5. Sony provide RAW image conversion software - which produces terrible results when using the 18-55mm lens when compared to the JPG produced by the camera. Even Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop don't produce quite as good results as the camera can. However the reverse is true when using the Sigma 19mm lens - RAW images in Lightroom are much, much better than the JPG produced by the camera.

6. If you want the smallest and lightest bag possible then the Lowepro Apex 60AW Digital Camera Pouch To Fit Panasonic TZ6, TZ7, Canon G10, Canon SX200, A1100 - Black is the best choice if using the Sigma 19mm or 30mm lenses ( which are smaller than the 18-55 Sony ). I've not tried it but the 18-55mm lens may just fit but it'd be a very tight squeeze!

7. The menus take a little getting used to but the ability to have customised buttons saves the day and makes this a usable camera. Without the customisable buttons it'd be a nightmare to navigate menus for simple setting changes.

8. Battery life is fantastic. Two batteries are enough to last a weeks holiday and still have some spare power left. I don't bother taking the charger on holiday - two batteries is enough.

I've had this camera 7 months now and its the best small camera I've ever had. Image quality continues to wow me and its so easy to carry around.

I recommend the 18-55mm lens and if you take landscape shots the Sigma 19mm lens. The Sony 55mm-210mm lens is well worthwhile if you plan wildlife shooting.

I also recommend the Sony NEX LCS-BBF Carry Pouch for NEX with 18 - 55mm Lens - Grey case. Or with the Sigma lenses then the Lowepro Apex 60AW Digital Camera Pouch To Fit Panasonic TZ6, TZ7, Canon G10, Canon SX200, A1100 - Black case is the smallest one that fits the camera.

*** Update 28 April 2012 ***

I often shoot RAW files ( usually RAW + JPG ). The Sony Image Data Converter 4.0 Software can convert RAW files to JPG. However it does a shockingly bad job when compared to the JPG created in camera. Images suffer badly from chromatic aberrations and look - especially in the corners - a bit blurred.

I think the reason is the camera itself knows about the lens used and its weaknesses - such as distortion and chromatic aberration issues. It uses this info to correct using its internal software the problems. However Sony Image Data Converter 4.0 Software appears not to attempt any corrections - you get the image with all its faults.

You can also use software such as Adobe Lightroom 4.0 - as I do - to convert RAW images. This does a much better job than Sony Image Data Converter 4.0 Software. However Lightroom still doesn't correct as many of the lens faults as the camera itself can. So its worth always shooting either JPG or RAW + JPG.

*** Update 7 March 2012 ***

Video quality is excellent from the camera - but I couldn't bear the clicking. My parter has no plans to use the video feature so I gave my old one to her and bought a new one off Amazon.

I'm pleased to say in the new silver one I received today ( 7th March 2012 ) the clicking issue was largely resolved. However be aware clickers are still being sold - Sony didn't pull them back in but instead let them be sold to unsuspecting consumers - which personally I think is shameful and does nothing for their reputation. I guess over time there will be less and less clickers in the wild.

It does still click - but less often and when it does its a much quieter click. To be honest you'd have to really listen out for the clicking to notice it. With the original NEX 5N you didn't have to listen carefully - the clicking was loud and proud and not ashamed to show itself!

Having put the clicking issue behind me I've taken a few videos and the image quality is excellent. It probably doesn't autofocus as fast as my camcorder but its good enough for general use. Image quality is very similar to my old ( 2009 ) and over £1000 Sony top end consumer camcorder.

*** Update ***

After using this for a month now I'm still very pleased with the still images. The sweep panorama has been useful but what's really been great is the auto HDR - used at around 3 to 4 stops difference it really can capture more of the extremes of lighting - very useful for sunsets or exceptionally bright days. I've found at 5 or 6 stops difference the loss of contrast makes the scene look a bit flat.

The autofocus doesn't seem to be quite as quick to focus as the old Panasonic in difficult situations ( moving targets or low light ) but its more than good enough.

The movie mode however sucks big time! I did a short moving while slowly walking along a coastal path - and despite the background noise all I could hear in the recording was "click...click...click..click" Its not subtle of something you have to listen out for - its loud and proud and in your face. Which makes the camera useless for videos unless you remove the audio.

It rarely clicks if you stand stock still and don't move at all. Start to pan or walk and its " click...click...click".

It worries me that Sony say they have a fix that "reduces" the clicking - I would expect NO clicking at all except in extreme circumstances.

Videoing is a disappointment - in fact I usually use my smartphone for videos as the clicking annoys me too much!

********
1313 Comments| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2012
Just a very very quick "review" to say that the kit arrived this afternoon and having spent a couple hours exploring the camera I cannot get it to click. Just silence when recording and no clicks on play back.

Also the current special summer cash back offer means providing you buy before 29th August you get £50 back on the camera and another £50 on the 55-210 lens = £100

So far I totally agree with the other reviews - outstanding performance - outstanding value.

Seems like a pretty good deal.
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2011
After reading DPReview's glowing review, I bought the 5n for its stills and video capabilities. It's has a tiny body but very powerful facilities. Seems like a great camera even if it is a bit short on available lenses which are large by way of contrast since the sensor is large too. Still, lots of old cheap manual lenses and adapters are available. The 5n has lots of nice functions - 'peaking' being a major one for manual focusing, 1080p/60 video, APS-C sensor, very low sensor noise at high ISOs, very good jpeg engine, clear lcd, EVF option, touch screen, etc. Great stuff!

Sadly, Sony got it terribly wrong with the video audio - it clicks. Any movement up down or panning will cause a clicking sound to appear in the audio. Perhaps not all have this fault but a large number does from what I can see. Sony seems to imply unusual sudden movement is needed to cause clicks. In my case it is not, simply moving it causes it to click - as in filming a child or pet or car or anything that moves. Surely a hand-held video camera should not make clicks as it is moved. Who wants to watch a video punctuated by clicks? Sony of course thoroughly tested it before marketing it...

Seems Sony USA has acknowledged the fault and offers a warranty fix (which reduces the clicks rather than removing them completely) whilst Sony UK has not - as far as I can see. So, I will return the camera to Amazon for a refund and await for Sony to sell the 5n without the hideous clicking noise. I am very disappointed in Sony.

=========================================

I now have a later NEX 5n which is free of the audio click problem - so I now give it the full *****.

Alas, as is life, one other problem reared it's head and that is the internal battery. Mine arrived drained. When I inserted a charged external battery the menus etc came up but it kept asking me to set the date every time I switched it on which I did but it would not shoot after focus. WT! The solution to this after reading the small print at the back of the manual is simple: cancel the date - top right on screen. You can then shoot using the default date until the internal battery is charged. Mine took some 12 hours. So, now I have a fully functional camera. Looks like Sony has cleared the backlog of audio clickers.
review image
1717 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2012
I've been a bit of a brand loyalist with Sony for several years now, and own many Cyber-Shot cameras, and alos purchased the A230 SLR a couple of years ago for my more enthusiastic needs. However, I did not automatically buy into the NEX range. I spent about a week thoroughly researching all the mid-level mirrorless cameras, and ended up coming back to the NEX-5N as the preferred choice amongst almost all critics.
Thankfully the reviews were all correct as the camera is fantastic. It is a bit odd getting used to achieving SLR quality photos without the use or benefit of a viewfinder, but in the end the adjustable angle of the liveview LCD screen (very high res and clear in daylight) beats a viewfinder for 90% of your tasks. It's nice to take a shot from waist high to stay low key, or to take a shot over somebody's head in a crowd, for example. With an SLR, this would be pure guesswork.
On the night I received the kit, there were a few teething problems getting used to the menu system. It is far from intuitive, but after an hour of fiddling, you start to learn its way of thinking and it feels a little better.
The full auto is faultless at producing high quality images that need little post-processing, and the "photo creativity" modes save a lot of time achieving those clever effects you can spent a lot of time in Photoshop achieving too.
The 28mm f2.8 lens is surprisingly useful for general purpose shots (i was worried it would be too wide, but the conversion factor on these lenses must help), and the 18-55 kit lens gives just enough zoom to satisfy my needs until I can afford an upgrade.
The external flash is interesting, as it means you save size and weight during the daytime, and you only need to plug it in when you're going to be out at night. Saying that, I personally hate flash, and the low light performance, coupled with the "handheld twilight" mode (6 pictures taken in a burst and compiled into a superior version off all 6 combined) mean I'll rarely be turning it on.
I've only had the camera for a week, so it's early days, however one of the few things I've learned is that you need spare batteries (I managed to get two for £15 from a well-known auction site) if you hope to rely on using the camera for a full day out.
on 4 December 2011
I've been taking photographs for many many years. Not long ago, when we gave up the family photography business, we sold off our professional Canon 5D full frame DSLR gear and the professional Sony FX7E HD camcorder, and I started off with a Lumix FZ100 just for hobbying. Dreadful. I gave up after a few months.

After much research I decided on the NEX 5N and the 18-55 lens. I am now prepared to state that this is the best camera I have owned. It's perfectly adequately replaced BOTH the Canon and the camcorder. I have never before experienced such a high proportion of pictures which are spot on straight out of the camera - even the Canon's results needed much tweaking. It's HD movie results are, while not up to the standard of the pro triple sensor FX7E, superb. And all of this in a tiny almost-pocketable camera. I really can't praise this camera highly enough, except for one tiny tiny little moanette - the 18 to 55, while a fabulous sharp lens, just doesn't quite focus in as close as I, keen on macro, would like it to, but that doesn't reduce my star rating. That doesn't matter now, as I've added the excellent 30mm macro, capable of 1:1, to my arsenal, and now I just couldn't be photographically happier.
I have been using a NEX-5 for over a year and was therefore very interested to see what changes had been made to the NEX-5N and whether these represent a step change. The fact is that the NEX-5 is such a strong contender that I found it difficult to imagine that the NEX-5N would offer anything more than a few tweaks.

At the headline level, the NEX-5N offers about 13% more pixels - 16.1 to the NEX-5's 14.2. The touch screen menus and an additional pivot for the LCD screen offer a more dextrous feel and the more versatile digital zoom adds significantly to the functionality.

One attribute both versions have in common is the fact that they are suitable for the full range of users from the snapshot amateur to the semi professional. The former can choose to stick with automatic options that produce stunning images but there are a host of shooting options (and associated help) available at your fingertips via the touch-screen LCD to keep the more intense photographer happy.

This is a compact and lightweight item of kit, which makes it an ideal companion on a holiday as it doesn't take up a lot of space or make you feel as though you are carrying a ton of equipment.

Fantastic still shot capabilities combine with very high quality video so there is no need to double up on equipment if you like to take both media. I have been able to put the camera in a pocket even with the 18-55mm lens fitted without feeling bulked out.

* Setting Up

The battery needs to be charged for four hours to achieve a full charge. This provides around an hour of HD video footage or enables hundreds of photographs to be taken. The battery slots into place in the base of the camera alongside the memory card.

One minor tip based on my own 'failure to fully read manual before playing with camera'. When the camera is switched on for the first time you are automatically prompted to set the date and time. It is intuitive and seems straightforward but I found that the settings didn't take and the camera prompted me to re-enter this information each time I switched it on over the course of an hour or so. I was also unable to take any photographs or film. I thought that the camera was faulty and did not find the explanation until I reached page 84 of the manual; it appears that both issues are to do with an internal battery that needs to be charged up when the camera is in use and it can appear to be glitchy until this has occurred. Around an hour after the fully charged battery was installed the date and time settings seemed to 'stick' and the camera suddenly sprang to life and allowed pictures to be taken.

NOTE: The one essential item that is not included with the camera is any form of memory card. You will need to purchase one before you can truly start to experiment with the camera. I use a SDHC class 10 card, which enables fast shooting without any discernable time lags or loss of data.

* Picture and Video Quality

These are both superb. When new to the camera, the automatic options will enable you to immediately take great images without very much effort, even in very low light levels. Your skills can be honed via the host of shooting options easily accessed via the menu but I know that, even if I have to grab the camera to catch something unexpected, the resultant shot will be good.

* LCD vs. Viewfinder

One of my first digital cameras was the Sony F828; it incorporated both a view finder and small LCD screen so the lack of a view finder with the NEX-5 and NEX-5N was not a culture shock for me and I have not found it has compromised my ability to take the shots I want. Sony do now offer either an electronic or optical viewfinder to fit the NEX-5N; it is not included as part of the normal camera package but can be purchased separately.

* Touch LCD Screen

This is a new feature to the NEX-5N and makes navigating through the onscreen menus a much easier and faster option. As the camera does not have a view finder this screen is the only means by which to compose shots so I have added a screen protector to guard against scratches, which has not impaired either the visual quality of the screen or the sensitivity to touch.

The LCD screen can be tilted up to sit at almost 90 degrees to the camera body, which makes it much easier to monitor what you are taking when the camera is on a tripod or held at low level. The screen can then also be tilted to face down (sitting in a v-shape at about 30 degrees to the camera), which would make it easier to take shots above the head, for example.

Lots of information can be accessed and displayed on this screen, so you do not have to study the 94 page instruction manual for days before you can hit the road.

One increasingly useful feature offered via this screen is the ability to tell the camera what your main subject matter is; in an otherwise crowded arena, a simple touch on your subject on the screen helps to ensure it remains in pin sharp focus whatever else is going on or gets in the way.

* Interchangeable Lenses

The camera comes with a 16mm wide angle lens and an 18-55 zoom. These lenses provide a sound base for many requirements, particularly now that the 10x digital zoom can be used with the zoom lens rather than just the single focus lens.

Sony offer a range of fully compatible lenses to purchase separately, including an 18-200mm zoom that allows you to get much closer to some action and a fisheye convertor for ultra wide angle shots.

* In Summary

This is a lovely camera that offers the portability and convenience of a compact without compromising the results; you don't need to be an expert, or know the manual inside out, to achieve good results with this camera. It does the hard work for you.

Where does it stand in relation to the NEX-5? The hardware changes are nice to have as opposed to essentials but the digital zoom really does enable the full benefit of all those pixels to be capitalised upon. There will still be NEX-5 stock around at a differential which offers the opportunity to pick up a real bargain on a brilliant camera. However, the NEX-5N with its digital zoom opens up entirely new dimensions for this very well thought out piece of kit.
on 30 May 2012
I bought the camera with the 18-55 lens and the 55-210 separately. I looked around a lot before settling on this, and compared this model with the NEX-7 to see whether I should save up the extra for it, but in the end decided that for the extra £300+ you would only be getting the extra megapixels and a viewfinder. I am so pleased that I chose this camera. It is light and very compact, but still feels great quality. I am not a professional photographer, but I do find that the pictures I take, sometimes just for the sake of taking them always seem to come out well. On a recent trip I played around with the camera's inbuilt creative filters and found some of them to have amazing results. The clarity really surprised me, even at full zoom using the 55-210 lens I blew the picture up on my 40 inch HD tv and it still looked amazing. One feature I have found really cool on this camera, is that the more you zoom into a picture, the more you see that your photograph looks as if it has been physically painted, there are no pixels just this soft textured effect. Anyway, I could talk all day on what I like about this camera, and I've not had any major issues with it; so I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a good compact camera to take professional looking shots, -it would be good for photography students at GCSE or A-level too, if you can get over the price.
on 1 September 2012
After spending a great deal of time researching CSC camera's, and being very tempted by the Nex7, I finally opted for the 5N. The full size sensor was important, as were the overall dimensions, as I travel widely with only hand luggage. For almost half the price of the Nex7, I was able to purchase this with two lenses. I have been using it extensively in the last two weeks and can honestly say it exceeds what were already high expectations. I use the touch screen spot focus facility far more than I would have imagined; the flip screen is sharp and clear even in bright sunshine (I normally use the viewfinder on my dslr's and was thinking of buying the optional one available for this camera, but now I'm not so sure I'm going to need it). The photo quality is superb, and yet even with the 18-55 zoom fitted, it does actually fit into my coat pocket. I take mainly stills, but the video quality is stunning - and no hint of any 'clicking' reported in some reviews (some of whom seem to suggest it happens when they vigorously shake the camera - what's that all about?!)
Would really recommend this to anyone used to dslr's who wants a great travel camera. I find it's rapidly becoming my camera of choice in all situations...
on 3 December 2012
I cannot believe the picture quality in low light. I enjoy museums and as any museum visitor knows,this often means no flash. Well the nex5 doesn't have a pop up flash so you can't get caught out as you have to screw on the one supplied. Any way...the pictures i have taken inside of various museums with no flash have been outstanding,and often much better than when you can use a flash. At night time too the image quality is fantastic.
The depth of field for portraits is lovely and coupled with the high contrast black and white setting allows truly stunning portraits.

Outstanding value for money especially now the nex 5r has been released and the 5n has come down in price.

I am somewhere between amateur and pro, preferring a dslr normally, but this 5n has blown me away! Its easy to carry, easy to change lens and it shoots in RAW. The sensor is actually just bigger than my old dslr and way bigger than the silly 4 thirds cameras.

If you're thinking of getting this...stop thinking, just get it. I love it.

Ps i have no video issues. I bought mine November 2012 and have had NO video problems the older versions did. It has been solved.