Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 October 2011
I first noticed Andrew Gold as part of the Linda Ronstadt band along with Kenny Edwards etc, produced by Peter Asher. They all became a bit part of my life, educating me in the ways of the West Coast music. The songwriting, harmonies, arrangements and amazing guitar work from Andrew Gold and Waddy Wachtel in particular. The only Andrew Gold tracks I had until today were either on Linda's albums or on 70's compilations. This album is all I'll need now. Outstanding tracks are obviously Lonely Boy, Never Let Her Slip Away, Thank You For Being a Friend and others from his early period during and after Linda, but there are another couple of totally incredible and beautiful ones on this album - That's Why I Love You, Looking For My Love and some incredible instrumentalising (is that a word?) on Still You Linger On, which is breaking my heart right now as I listen, touching all sorts of raw emotions. Just brilliant! Whatever you decide, you'll be better for this one.
22 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2011
A superb showcase cd showing the brilliant talents of this great underated artist . great writing ,superb playing this guy knew how to write the perfect pop/country/rock/song and it is sad that we have lost such a talent.
From the well known hits to his later great work with Graham Gouldman there are some real other unknown treats here ,listen to One of them is me a slow burner of a song with the drums and guitar used to build to a great climax ,superb. Please buy this cd and sit back and enjoy the talent that Andrew Gold was ,thanks for being a friend.........
on 1 May 2012
I loved Andrew Gold for " Never let her slip away" and bought this album to get this track. Traveling home from work in the car is a great time to listen to my music. So on went this album! Two weeks later I'm still lovening it. Hit after Hit !! Songs we all know but dident know who preformed it. If you want to listen to great music from a great era, this is a must !!
on 15 August 2012
I have been looking for a reasonably priced Andrew Gold album for a while featuring 'Never let her slip away' which is a favourite of mine from when I was at secondary school in the late 1970's. It did not let me down - fantastic to singalong to! Also 'Lonely Boy' which I had forgotten about. A good album of songs from years ago which still sound great.
on 29 December 2012
The 1970s was a wonderful time for singer/songwriters, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Jackson Browne, Gene Clark and many others.
Andrew Gold emerged at this time and made an positive impact with Lonely Boy, Never Let Her Slip Away and Thank You For Being A Friend.
He also helped out on numorous sessions for stars including Art Garfunkel and Linda Ronstadt.
While the majority of the songs were not known to me before hearing this, they all display good production standards and gennerally a bright outlook on life.
Andrew Gold fans are unlikely to need to look beyond this Rhino collection.
on 20 February 2015
Andrew Gold was an American singer who had about 4 chart singles in the UK in 1977-1978 which were "Never Let Her Slip Away",Lonely Boy","Thank You For Being A Friend" and "How Can This Be Love".Also included here are the singles "Kiss This One Goodbye","One Of Them Is Me" and "Go Back Home Again".A good 2CD compilation album but a single CD Album with more singles releases on would have been better.
on 31 January 2016
I bought this CD purely out of curiosity as Andrew Gold was one of artists associated with collaborate with 10cc back in early 1980. I must say I was quite impressed by the songs he has produced and am glad I bought this CD collection. This has got lots to offer in terms of lovely and catchy melodies and I enjoyed listening to them. Andrew Gold has since been added to my collection of favourite artists. It's a shame about his untimely death though.
on 27 May 2014
This is a great double CD of Andrew Golds better know solo material as well as a significant number of tracks from his work with Wax (with ex 10cc member Graeme Gouldman).

Included are excellent tracks such as "Lonely Boy", "Never let her slip away" (with Queen Frontman Freddie Mercury on backing vocals), "Endless Flight" (written by Gold and title track from Leo Sayers Album) and "Bridge to your heart".

What I like about this collection is that it is stylistically varied and you get a lot of music for the price. Most of it is well written and everything is well produced.

Not all the tracks work and some of the 80's songs may not be to everyones taste due to the synths (I like them).

The tracks have been sequenced so that the style jumps from singer-songwriter to pop. I think it keeps the compilation interesting but others may be reaching for the program button on their CD player.

Gold was probably best known as a producer rather than a performer, in particular for Linda Rondstadt. This is an excellent double CD compilation of a very underrated artist and is worth tracking down.
on 26 August 2012
I never made a connection to Linda Ronstadt or the group Wax and Bridge To Your Heart has long been a favourite song of mine. It's ironic that it takes the death of Andrew Gold to make me realise just who he was and all those great songs I've been hearing on the radio were by him!
Whenever I put this cd on my player I loved it, so many good songs and well produced and arranged.
on 21 June 2012
As with many singers there are some excellent memorable songs and many that never got above the radar except in 'best of' or 'essential' albums like this. As a consequence this double CD is well worth getting for the 3 or 4 songs that made it, (i.e in my case that I'd heard before), and accepting the remainder in the mediocre category. Good singing and certainly not poor but don't catch you like 'Thank you for being a Friend, Lonely Boy' and another couple.