VINE VOICEon 9 October 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Dave Duncan can always be relied on to write a good, exciting and very readable book. In Against The Light we have a fairly complex story but one that is always easy to follow.
The Hierarchy, Priests of the Order of Light are persecuting the followers of the old religion of Mother Earth. Many of the latter have powers that can be considered magical. In fact quite a few of the Hierarchy also have these powers but when these are used they are classed as “miracles”.
The Woodbridge family follow the old religion. One of their sons has been sent to another country to be trained properly in the use of his powers. Upon his return he is captured and tortured. Meanwhile Earl Uptree arranges the destruction of the Woodbridge family, mainly to gain their lands. Only Maddy, the 15 year old daughter and Brad, a 10 year old boy survive.
From then on we have a tale of revenge, rescues, intrigue and plots culminating in an extremely exciting finale.
To describe what each of the surviving members of the family do in their independent actions would spoil the story. However I can say that each works in their own way, sometimes with unfortunate results.
While the story ends in a very satisfactory way it is obvious that there will be sequels but at least this book does not leave you in mid sword strike as so many trilogies do these days,
on 24 April 2013
I have very mixed feelings about this book. Whilst I completed it, and enjoyed the story, there is something that never really engaged me, and I cannot truthfully put my finger on it.
The story is not particularly original, and the general thrust of the plot can fairly easily be guessed. The characters are a little one-dimensional, so when they do something odd, it doesn't necessarily come as a surprise, when perhaps it should.
The elements of 'magic' or whatever you want to call it seem to come in merely to be able to move the plot forward, or get one of the characters out of a difficult situation, they didn't seem to me to be an intrinsic part of the whole.
Overall, although I finished the book, I never felt involved in it.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 July 2013
Great yarn set in medieval type of context, with "wisdoms" (witches?) and a long-running battle between the established church and the old religion. Plenty of gore as well as interesting characters; I enjoyed this tale of loves and stretched loyalties enormously and would recommend it.
on 8 July 2013
Good family based connections with lots of 'powers'. Good read. Got involved in the plot and the personalities. One of my criteria is would I buy next in series - and I would.
on 30 August 2013
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS STORY, A BIT DISAPPOINTED IN THE ENDING I HOPE THERE IS MORE THAT WILL BE CONTINUING THE TAIL.
on 18 April 2014
Good characterisation. Interesting story line. Excellent concept. Story line kept interest not easily predictable. Would recommend this book to any readers who like fantasy
on 17 July 2013
Really good read, left me keen for next book in the series, really bought into the character's I recommend for all.
on 22 February 2015
This book is hard to put down, just had to finish it
on 13 April 2012
Enjoyed this book, able to empathise with characters and the plot was believable. Left me wanting to read a next installment.
on 30 July 2012
Not the sort of of book I would normally buy, but it came on the Kindle daily offer so I bought it. Very interesting read and shows the problems that fanatical religion can cause.
One person found this helpful