Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 15 September 2011
I have just purchased the Kindle edition of the New International Version (NIV) Bible and I must say I'm impressed. Don't get me wrong as far a ebooks go its not perfect. You still can't search BOOK:ChapterVerse, eg, John3:16. What you have now though is finder links and chapter links within each book. There is NO table of contents. Pressing right or lift on the d-pad takes you forward or back a book making jumping around the 66 books easier.

When you first enter the book you are presented with "Welcome to the Bible [Finder]", followed with the intro blurb to the NIV. Clicking on [Finder] takes you to a page containing all the links to all the books. They are displayed horizontally and not vertically like in other ebook bibles. Below the book links are further links to "Welcome to the Bible", "The Bible at a Glance", "People of the Bible", Well-known events in the Bible", "Well-known events in the Life of Jesus", Selected parables of Jesus", "Selected miracles of Jesus", "Help and Guidance", "Reading Guide", "About the NIV (Preface)", "Tables of weights and measures", "Bible Guide" and "Copyright Information"

When you select a book to read there is a [Bookname][<][>][Finder] Link above every chapter.

Overall for the price I think this is a great Bible ebook. It has solved some of the navigation issues that are prevalent in ebook bibles and I only hope that as publisher get use to producing ebooks of this nature that they improve on the getting-around-it bit.

Enjoy and God Bless!
0Comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2012
Most of the comments from previous reviews are relevant but, if you're used to the `traditional' NIV as used in churches in Britain, be prepared for some surprises with this Kindle version.

This translation is a later version, which seems to have been paraphrased to some extent. For example, Mark 1:17 in the `traditional' translation says, "Come, follow me, Jesus said, and I will make you fishers of men." The `new' translation says, "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people."

In a group session, which included a biblical Greek expert, we discovered that the `people' option was the more correct but `make' was more correct than `send'. `Make' denotes an element of training while `send' simply means to dispatch, trained or not.
66 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2011
Was horrified at first when I pressed MENU then GO TO and there was no TABLE OF CONTENTS then, deep joy, I found the 'FINDER'. It really is very easy. Whatever verse or passage you are reading, the 'FINDER' link is always on the page, so when the preacher's firing references at you really quickly, you can keep up. I'm really pleased with this version, it was well worth the wait. I think with most kindle books you can download a sample for free and try out the navigation. Thank you NIV ebook publishers, Job Well Done :)
22 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2012
In 2011 the publishers of the NIV published a revised version of this popular bible translation. This kindle version is the new 2011 version of the NIV, not the traditional 1984 one. I understand that the old 1984 version (along with the TNIV) will now be going out of print and will not be available in any format once existing stocks all been sold. The translators notes [...] explain what has been changed and why. So far I have found that the changes make this revised translation clearer to understand. It is NOT a case of political correctness gone mad!

I read all the reviews before I purchased this kindle edition, as I was concerned that it would be difficult to quickly change from one reference to another during a church service or bible-study. Not having seen the kindle version, I found all the references to 'finder' in the reviews confusing.

In short, this version is very simple to use and it is very easy to move around the bible. With a few days practice it is possible to move to a new reference as quickly as one would in a printed bible.

Touching L or R the 5-way controller on the kindle moves back or forward by one book. Holding the L or R the 5-way controller on the kindle moves rapidly through the bible books in seconds. Between each chapter there is a 'finder', which allows you to use up or down buttons on the 5-way controller to highlight any book of the bible, selecting with a double click once the required book is highlighted. The same process is used again to select the chapter within the book. Once at the chapter you want, you just turn the pages as you would in a printed bible to get to the required verse. Simple and fast.

The NIV bible footnotes are all there and easy to access using the 5-way controller.

As a kindle it is much smaller and lighter to carry than a printed bible, and the text can be enlarged as normal to whatever size you need to read clearly.
on 18 September 2011
I have been using the 2011 revision of the New International Version since last November via the web, and have had printed copies since May 2011. It is a wonderful translation, treading a good line between readability and keeping true to the original language. Now it's on my Kindle and can go with me absolutely everywhere and be read anywhere. My only gripe with e-books of Bible versions is that few have good navigation, though the finder feature in this does help. Many books we read cover to cover, but the Bible isn't one of those. Most of the time we want to navigate to a particular chapter and verse of a particular book.

The Kindle is a great asset, I have over 100 books on mine - most are theology books and Bible commentaries to support my theology studies and my training as a Methodist Local Preacher. Its usefulness cannot be understated. My bookshelves were full and overflowing, but my Kindle has prevented the crisis worsening.
on 26 December 2011
I was a bit wary of buying a Bible for my Kindle because of navigation issues, but this is really easy to navigate - the only way it could really be better is actually being able to flick through the pages. For anyone who wants a Bible for their Kindle, get this one.
on 26 September 2011
For the most part I'm really pleased with this version. I'm delighted that the UK are finally allowed to have the NIV on Kindle. The Finder is good with the contents well laid out to minimize page turns and there are handy links at the end of each chapter. There are a few excellent extras. The Help and Guidance section gives you Bible verses to help with problems you may experience e.g. When friends let you down.

My only criticism (and the reason for dropping a star) is that, like many Kindle versions of the Bible, the layout hasn't taken into account the Kindle's Find ability being limited to Whole Words; the verse numbers have been put immediately in front of the first word in the verse and this means you won't be able to find e.g. Matthew 11:29 by typing in 'Take my yoke' because the word 'Take' is read by the Kindle as 29Take.

About the only Kindle Bibles that have managed to avoid this while still allowing good navigation is the KJV Easy Navigate Book by Hendrickson Bibles and the wonderful Bibles by Osnova (unfortunately, Osnova doesn't do the NIV yet)
on 17 September 2011
NIV Bible eBook (Bible Niv Internationl Version)

This is proving to be very handy indeed. The navigation around the books of the Bible and the texts is greatly aided by the 'finder' facility. As a regular reader of the Bible, it's tremendous to be able to carry it around in the Kindle with the text enlargement facility.
on 26 October 2011
It took a while to learn to navigate this Bible but have got the hang of it now and am very pleased with the Kindle version but it takes a bit to get used to the navigation process. If you use "Go To" the "Location" and "page" don't work or are no use to you. I spent ages selecting Cover and then having to go foward three pages before getting to the index to select the book I needed. A bit slow doing that. The quickest way I have found to navigate from one place to another is......

(1 don't use "Go to" in the Menu
(2 On the four way switch move to the next or previous chapter by pressing right or left.
(3 Then select "finder" to go straight to the book of the Bible that you require, then
select chapter, then scroll to the page containing the verse that you require.

This Kindle version of the NIV is really great and a fantastic bargain but I hope that those who converted it to Kindle do not stop working on the navigation as I myself would certainly purchase another copy if navigation could be improved in any way.
on 27 February 2014
I realise there is a free King James Bible through Project Gutenberg which I also downloaded, but what I wanted was the NIV which is used in my local C of E in Muswell Hill. Being a Christian for many years now, this is the version I turn to most often - this and occasionally the Good News Bible which is an even more easy to understand translation. It is the NIV where I feel the Greek NT Gospels and Paul's letters translate into English the best:

"We glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character and character, hope. And hope doesn't disappoint us because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us." Romans 5:3-5

Recommended.