on 3 January 2012
I have read all three books in this series now, and I'm always left feeling a little short-changed at the end. I don't know why, full of action, and I like the main concept behind how people/ideas become gods. I suppose one gripe is that it does all seem to be a big blur of killing and sarcastic asides, and I would agree with another reviewer that some of the 'modern culture' bits are laughable, such as the 'Lol-Catz' speak in one of them which was more than just faintly ridiculous. In all, I enjoy these books, but I still don't think Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) has anything to worry about yet. I am a bit indifferent about these, but will still see if the fourth book is any further improvement. Ideas good, execution could do with some improvement. The story behind this book, for example, could have made a much bigger story than it did. A load of fuss and build up, then they seem to sail through the final battles. Meh.
on 17 July 2012
As i stated in my review for the first novel i hoped that it was just a prologue for something better. Well it was but not by much. the personal development in this book is more advance and the secondary personalities are becoming more rounded and interesting however the authiur seems to insert and drop characters on an impulse which for me makes the book seem disjointed. oh well time to start book three.
on 11 July 2014
Another cracking book from Kevin Hearne.
This time we see Atticus up against German witches with all manner of mythical and mystical creatures popping up as well.
This is my second reading of this series and it improves even more this time around
on 9 December 2014
It has been a while since I found a series of books to hold my attention so well...simply awesome :)
on 14 May 2014
Book two of the Iron Druid Chronicles picks up pretty much right where the first book left off, following up on some of the hanging threads and rushing into new plots. A group of evil witches is coming to town, and they aren't the only threats that the last Druid will need to deal with.

I though that the first book in the series was fantastic, and so the second had a lot to live up to. Overall I don't think it quite makes it, feeling rushed and having too many elements to make a consistent narrative.

There were interesting developments and more was revealed about some of the characters, but it feels more of an action thriller with scene after scene of fight interspersed with witty banter. There's also something of a middle book feel, with the impression that it's working more to set things up for the third book than to have a single plot of its own.
on 13 October 2011
This was a great second instalment to this exciting new series. Just as strong as the first if not stronger.

The storyline focuses mainly on the witches this time. Atticus hasn't survived two millennia by being overly trusting, and when he's approached by the local witch coven to sign a "play nice" treaty, he's dubious to say the least. It seems that the witch coven, who call themselves The Sisters of the Three Auroras, has recently been attacked and lost one of their own. Malina, the head of the coven, wants Atticus to help hunt down some German witches known as the Daughters of the Third House, as well as fight off Bacchants, rogue demons...you know, just the usual.

There are great action sequences to be found, some laugh-out-loud funny lines (cue Oberon, the mind-talking dog), and great mythological elements. Kevin Hearne is excellent (and I mean EXCELLENT) at incorporating myth and legend into these modern tales. Atticus as a character is an example of this perfect blend of old and new in that he is an ancient druid with all the wisdom, knowledge and experience that that entails, yet can do an impression of a teenage student stoner like the best of them. I'm mean, like, todally dude!

Oberon still steals the show for me in these books, and if I'm honest, I would still prefer Atticus to form some closer relationships (with someone other than Oberon, that is) as I mentioned in my review for Hounded. Maybe his new apprentice could fill the role if he'd let her? She seems to think he's got a nice bum....that's a start, right?

I'm greatly looking forward to the next one: Hammered. And happily, three more books have been announced for this series: Tricked in May 2012, Trapped in December 2012, and Hunted sometime in 2013. Yay!

This is my favourite cover thus far. I'm loving the tattoos on the forearm there. Very cool.
on 13 December 2011

on 6 May 2012
(I got this copy via the Goodreads giveaway.) *Some Spoilers*

After finishing Hounded, I went right into reading Hexed hoping it wouldn't disappoint as some sequels tend to do. Gratefully, it did not disappoint. It had all the humor and action of the last, while continuing with the aftermath of the previous battles 3 weeks later. I loved the addition of Coyote and Atticus's pranks. I felt a bit dismayed because of Perry, who I had hoped would come to druidic side someday. Makes me wonder if later there will be possible threats from maybe Bacchus and that foreboding organization (The Hammer of God). Now, I really can't wait to see how they travel to Asgard in Hammered!
The "difficult second book". Hexed is the follow up to the rather entertaining "Hounded" and thankfully it is almost as entertaining as the first one. This time our Druid hero is attacked by some rather nasty witches and has to make some deals and alliances in order to be able to go on the offensive. One of those deals will be resolved in the next book, but Hexed is a self contained and enjoyable urban fantasy. I particularly enjoyed a brief cameo from the Virgin Mary, but that might not be to everyone's tastes! But I think it is a clever and fun series which doesn't take itself too seriously but it is not superficial at all, both effort and research has gone into this - and it shows. Looking forward to the next one already.
on 16 April 2013
Very enjoyable second book in the series! Fast paced and easy read. As good as Jim Butcher, Harry Connolly et al....