on 8 October 2011
Adobe PSE 7 (Editor) will no longer work in Windows 7 (I had bought it for Win XP), so I contacted Adobe by telephone. They were not interested that it would not work so I concluded I needed to upgrade to PSE 10 and asked about compatability with version 7. Two of the advisors I spoke to appeared to know less than I did. A third advisor assured me that in the Organiser I would be able to see all my tags etc including everything in map view. I asked specifically about map view and was assured it would show the positions of the photos as in version 7.
So I bought Version 10 and after a lot of hassle managed to register it. What am I complaining about? The advisor Lied, THERE IS NO MAP VIEW in version 10. I have to keep the version 7 because it does have map view and is therefore much superior in the Organiser. I have in effect bought version 10 just to have a working Editor.

No fault of Amazon who are excellent but the Adobe advisors are incompetant, their advice is worse than useless.

A disgruntled user.
1818 Comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 October 2011
This is a review for Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 for the PC. It was tested on a machine using the following specification:

Machine: Dell Studio XPS 8100
Processor: Intel Core i3 2.93 GHz
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
RAM: 4 GB (3.87 GB usable)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Mouse: Logic wireless
Monitor: HP 2210i

I use Photoshop regularly at home and love its versatility. However, at school we can't afford to purchase the full blown package for every computer and Photoshop Elements allows us to do all of the main graphics editing tasks that the average user would require. Of course it doesn't have the massive functionality of Photoshop but unless you are a professional graphics designer, a serious photographer or artist then you probably won't ever use a lot of the features or tools.

Photoshop Elements offers a great range of tools from simple cropping, resizing, rotating and removing red-eye. Its colour correction tools are very useful for anyone who might have taken a less than perfect photograph. It has a smart brush tool and drop-in frames.

There are a great range of filters and special effects that you can apply to your work, for example making your image look like a watercolour, a pencil drawing, a mosaic or even stained glass. You can use masks for more detailed editing such as removing backgrounds from objects and seamlessly merging one photograph into another.

If you are new to graphics editing packages then you might find the tool icons a little daunting at first, the same with using layers. However, there are plenty of tutorials around that you can use to get you started. Once you know the basics it is easy to start just playing with the different tools and options to see what they actually do.

There is an organiser feature where you can store your photographs in albums. This makes them easy to catalogue, search, view and edit your photographs. You can also use the photographs in your organiser to create things such as photo books, slide shows, calenders and greetings cards.

If you are familiar with graphics editing packages, perhaps having used a competitive brand then you will recognise many of the tools instantly and it won't be much of a learning curve to make the transition over to Elements. If you have used the full blown Photoshop before then you will pretty much know how to use Elements immediately. However, some of the options are under different menus in the two packages.

This package will suit:
* photographers who want to be able to edit their images - it can deal with RAW files
* people who regularly used images but need to adapt them for their own needs e.g. website or blog authors
* graphics designers who don't need the full functionality of Photoshop
* people who want to have a go at creating their own images from scratch
* students who need to create or edit images for their school projects - my students have created some fabulous work that is both creative and wouldn't look out of place in one of the glossy magazines.

If you already have Elements 8 or 9 then it might not be worth upgrading to 10 as there aren't a huge amount of differences between the versions. However, if you have an older version or you want to try out an excellent graphics editing package then this one is excellent.
1212 Comments| 271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 October 2011
I have just purchased this software after finally giving up on Corel's Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 which I brought last year. I decided to change suites as the performance of the Corel software became unacceptable after I upgraded to a full frame DSLR body and the file sizes increased. That software slowed right down and crashed after every three or four edited pictures as it suffers memory leaks it seems. I had the previous version of that software that I got a couple of years previously and have now decided to 'switch camps'.

Anyhow, this software is as fast as you like even handling the 35mb RAW files my camera produces and there are no crashes or hangs (obviously having a decent PC is a must as the software is resource intensive). The tool set is good but I do hear from friends that it is no real improvement over Elements 9. I do like the fact that your workflow can be quick in this software even when editing each photo individually. There are a reasonable selection of automatic edits that you can do like colour correction and sharpening that actually work well.

The user interface/workspace trays required some reconfiguring for me but after about an hour I had the toolbars and palletes set up how I prefer them. Familiarity returned for me and I was soon able to do all the edits I used to do on my old software without the frustration and the pleasure cameback to editing for me.

I think if you haven't already got a recent version of Elements then this software is well worth the purchase and I found it worth changing from a competitor's product line.

For reference purposes, my PC specification is: Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.2ghz Processor, 3gb 1066mhz DDR2 RAM, 2 x 500gb Seagate Barracuda hard drives, Invidia Geforce 8800GTS 320mb graphics card and Windows 7 Professional operating system 32 bit. (This of course well over the minimum requirement for this software).
1010 Comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 November 2011
For this price (under 50 quid) you cannot go wrong with Elements 10. Photoshop Elements and Lightroom all contain Adobe RAW. I bought Lightroom, but there was a problem with the seller. Luckily i changed my mind and I purchased Elements 10 instead (and saved myself 100 quid). Elements 10 is all i need for my canon 60d.

Upon installation on my new Advent laptop (Windows 7) with 3 GHZ processor (i5) and 6 GB of RAM there was no problem.

Regarding earlier versions of Photoshop, it is best to remove earlier versions completely before installing Elements 10. Elements 10 does not require users to decide whether to continue using an earlier version or use the new version....to save hassle simply uninstall older programs.

It seems to me that the license for Elements 10 allows installation on one primary and one laptop (mobile) computer. However there is a restriction not to use on both computers at the same time.

Regarding the software the files are still manipulated using layers and selection tools. The complete range of image effects (filters), image enhancement and editing tools are easy to use. There are options to open, edit and save in wide range of file formats.

Elements 10 and Adobe continue to assume plenty about user connectivity. All of the help files for Elements 10 are online. Select "Help" in the menu bar ,and you are not taken to local help files - you are taken to their web site.

Adobe annoyingly plugs its online services because most times i launch Elements 10 (enter "Adobe Online ID"). If you register (and you'll probably want to just for update notifications), you'll get some free services (2 GB of storage and some sharing functions).

As long as you download the .pdf file so you have access to help files when offline, and be aware of what any software company may be doing when they invite you to use the online extensions of their products. An over-reliance on online help files are what move this from a 5-star to a 4-star review.

This software can be complicated.I bought the basic Dummies book. After that I will probably consider the Photoshop Elements 10 book "Missing Manual". You can by it on amazon for 20 quid.

The software package (40 quid Amazon) for Elements 10 is very cheap, and it consists of 3 DVDs- One is for Windows users (Disc 1), one for Mac users (Disc 3). I was never prompted to do anything with the mysterious Disc 2.

I have read that this is the best photo-editing program available for under 100 quid. It will do most of the editing tasks that the full version of Photoshop does but at a fraction of the cost.

If you are serious (or semi-serious) about editing your photos I highly recommend that you purchase this. In addition, an important advantage of learning (and using) Elements is that if you decide to someday move up to the full version of Photoshop all the stuff you learned translates to the more expensive program. Also, there is alot of instructional material available online (most of it free!) and in books that will help you learn this program.

If you just want an easy program to use to edit a few photos now and then you can find cheaper software programs, and many online programs that are free. One good free online application is Sumo Paint.

New features in Elements 10 improving from Elements 9 is basically deal with organising your photos and some quick and easy templates and photo effects.nRegarding Elements 3-8 Users- it is recommended you upgrade to Elements 10 because there was a huge improvement between versions 8 and 9 (content aware, puppet warp, and the ability to add masks to layers).
99 Comments| 294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 December 2011
I have happily used Elements for a couple of upgrades now. Starting with 5 upgrading to 7 and thinking this was the best software of its type available. However I then upgraded to 9 on a Win 7 PC only to find the program has a bug. I use the Lasso tool a lot and in this version it causes the screen to blank and the marching ants disappear. You can continue your selection 'blind' or just give up in frustration.
I searched the internet and found this was a bug but no patch to cure it.
I then found that the same bug is present in version 10. No doubt this was already complete and awaiting release before the previous bug became apparent Adobe doesn't seem to even blush about this appalling customer treatment.
There are work arounds but why should you have to when you've just paid money for something that's supposed to function as its meant too.
I wonder if they are holding out to make everyone buy version 11 to get the cure? A patch would be the decent thing to do but that seems too much to expect. from Adobe.
Buy version 7 or 8 rather than 9 or 10 or wait until 11 is released, though check theforums before hand as they still might not have bothered to fix it.
99 Comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 August 2012
I bought this software because very many people told me that it was the best. However it is most definately, not for the beginner and I do not say that as someone who is less than talented. There is no Manual to this very, very complicated software, one has to buy a book to help in the understanding of the most basic procedures. There are guides and DVDs in the monthly Photographic Journals giving advice on how to operate Adobe Elements which leads one to the opinion that one must have a large amount of ability to be able to deal with this product. I have tried really hard to alter photographs but every time I give up in pure frustration. Both the Software and the guide book I bought are a complete waste of time to a person like me who is new to DSLR photography. Adobe say that they provide many video tutorials. Yes they do but try to watch them and learn. 'A' The persons giving the demonstration does so too fast, expecting a level of competence from the veiwer. The Pictures are too small the Tools pallette is too small so that when you come to try it yourself, you cannot remmeber what you have been told, often when you try to follow 'bit by bit' as I did. 'B' you find that the tutorials tell you 'what' the software can do but NOT 'how' to do it in such detail and PACE that the relative beginner can follow.
This software is not for me and I shall probably ask Amazon if I can send it back along with the expensive book I bought, However I doubt they will agree to that!
So, what conclusions. Well there is no doubt that this piece of software is amongst the best produced. Adobe do NOT however cater for the beginner, they expect a high level of competence. And, unless you have that, and also a great deal of time, I suggest you stick to taking photographs that do not need such sophisticated software to enhance them.

Adobe must expect this as they do not include any manual, except a piece of paper that is so basic is beggars belief and tells you nothing of how to use their product. For futher proof of whether I am right. look in your local bookstall and see the miriad of magazines published about Adobe Elements. A Guide to Elements 10, A guide for Photographers for Elements, Elements for Photographers. Amazon have in their stock 14 books on the subject. (See my review of Elements 10 for Dummies). There are courses all over the country to help people to understand it.

Adobe in my opinion have cheated their clients, especially the beginners, for failing to tell prospective purchersers that 'A high level of the appreciation of this kind of software is essential and if you do not possess that, you are better leaving it alone and trust in your photographic skills and abilities.

Let the camera do the work and leave it at that! On the other hand if you have money to burn, by all means try it.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 August 2017
I'd had an old version of Photoshop elements on my old computer and found it easy to use and very effective in its capabilities. On my new computer I tried a copy of the Corel photo-adjusting software. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to get used to it, but found it non-intuitive in the applications and tools. More annoying was that when I closed the prog down, a pop-up appeared requesting I agree to updates. I didn't want any and tried to close the pop-up window, but it was disabled. The 'X' failed to close it. Even closing down the computer left the Corel message hanging on until the Cntrl-Alt-Delete death blow. I'm now back with Photoshop elements and very happy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2012
It took me a while from receiving this software to load it on my PC and have a go. A cold and then Christmas got in the way.

But now I have done it, I am delighted. It is easy to install - although beware, there is a trial version of Photoshop Premier on the disks too. Which means extra expense if you want to keep it beyond the trial. It is for videos so we did not need it. We just want to organise and edit our photographs.

I started out playing with one photo to see what it can do. Amazing stuff and very easy to use without any instructions - for someone familiar with Word and Powerpoint. I particularly liked the artistic creations that came from my experiments - most of which bore no resemblance to the original photograph.

I am looking forward to taking more photos and playing with them. One of my friends is an expert and produces awesome results.

A fantastic software package - and seems to be able to do everything I want for the moment.

(There is a more expensive all-singing and all-dancing version).

Great stuff.
55 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 December 2011
Let me say that this is the worst software that I have ever bought.
Installing this programme on a Sony Vaio, and connecting up a new Olympus EP1 camera, I was expecting to be able to edit the images I had just captured. However, the software didn't even recognise my new camera.
This software is a complete waste of money, and I will be demanding my money back from Adobe or Amazon, or who ever else I can claim off. Failing this I will sue for a refund in the small claims oourt, or its equivalent in Scotland. These is totally unmerchantable goods. Avoid this software at all costs. I only think they offer it in order to con people into shelling out £600 plus for the full version of Photo Shop!
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 March 2018
Great offer for a great software back then
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse