Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 21 July 2016
Santo Spirito Blues is the twenty-third studio album by Chris Rea, released in 2011.

1."Dancing My Blues Away" - 4:13
Great voice :)
on 28 April 2017
Disappointing
on 5 September 2011
I've got to say that I don't usually do reviews, but being a huge Chris Rea fan from the beginning I thought I would give it a go after receiving his latest album The Santo Spirito Blues this morning (Thanks Amazon).
This is Mr Rea's best album for ages. I do think he lost his way a bit after his near fatal illness and his music reflected this. He seams to have got this off his chest now and this latest offering puts him back at the top of his game. There's not a weak track on it. Buy it, it won't disappoint.
11 Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2011
Chris Rea - The BBC reviewer thinks this album has something missing? I don't. If you've followed Chris over the years you'll know his first love is the blues, he even said at one point he wouldn't play his old stuff, like "road to hell" again at his concerts. Well he changed his mind and last year I watched a master of his craft doing his thing at the Newcastle City Hall. This album is Chris at his best and the track "chance of love" is being compared to a Dire Straits track...make up your own mind, and I have no doubt Chris would be not be offended by that comparison?
All I have to say is this is Chris Rea doing what Chris Rea does best. He might not agree?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 December 2014
My initial reaction to "Santo Spirito Blues" was a sense of deja vu. Some of the tracks had been released (in different takes) on "Blue Guitars", and I reckon that any song on this set could have found its way into that epic collection.
I don't mean to imply, however, that I have any feeling of "been there, done that" about "Santo Spirito Blues"; on the contrary, the music is absolutely excellent, as it almost always is where Chris Rea is concerned. The man has been producing top quality music for half my lifetime. During all those years he has barely made a false step, and he doesn't make one here. This is another real treat for admirers of this master craftsman's work. Keep on rockin', Chris.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 September 2011
"...I'll do happy blues... up-tempo, lots of off-the-wall guitar, to try and shake off the blues."

The above comment is the very definition of Spirito Blues, the latest album from Chris Rea.

And the quote comes from the acclaimed singer songwriter himself, who also happens to be a great six-stringer and one of the finest slide blues guitarists in the business.

Santo Spirito Blues follows the form of most of Chris Rea's releases over the last decade. It's an album rooted in the blues, a road the musician purposely found himself travelling at the start of the Millennium after he recovered from serious illness and an operation with a predicted 50% chance of survival.

The album and its up-beat tempo is typified by tracks such as `Rock and Roll Tonight' with its Stones-esque rhythm and riffing and `Never Tie me Down,' a song for the young man with his life still ahead of him.
It's not a one dimensional album, however, and Rea does deliver a tune or three in amongst the thirteen tracks that's more laid back or slow blues.
The two lightest pieces on Santo Spirito Blues close out proceedings - the smoky blues of `Lose My Heart in You' and the country-blues tinged ballad `I Will Go On.'

The album comes in two flavours.
There's the standard album release reviewed here and a multi-disc set.
The box-set edition is a five disc release featuring three CD's and two DVD's.
The DVD's are two films written and directed by Rea.
One is what is described as "a raw and brutally honest" film on bullfighting, while the other is about a man's journey on a search for the truth in the city of Florence.
The soundtracks to both films are featured on two of the CD's while the other CD is the Santo Spirito Blues album.

The multi-disc version is yet another ambitious and interesting release from Rea (who has in the past recorded and released an 11 CD Blues set) and, having started with a comment from Mr Rea, it's only fitting we finish with another:
"I love creating things and passionately believe artists should be looking to try new ways of bringing what we do to the public. There should be no rules whatsoever and, for God's sake, there are alternatives to TV talent shows."

Amen to that, Chris.
on 30 October 2016
This is the album that first got me really into Chris Rea's music and the blues about 2 or 3 years ago. I had been playing different albums and turning them off a few tracks in and then I came across this... I wound up playing this album over and over again on repeat umpteen times. I just never got tired of it. I had never heard anything like it! Chris Rea is the man, he is so, so talented. A beautiful, unique voice and just incredible guitar playing and song writing. Is there any end to this mans talent? If you like this (blues music) then I thoroughly recommend you go the whole hog and buy Chris's blue guitar albums - his 11 cd / 1 dvd - 127 track blues masterpiece. Also the blue café, blue jukebox, Hofner Blue notes and anything else bluesy that Chris has done... I love this man and his music. This man's contributions to music and especially the blues are incredible. Don't retire Chris - you're fans are still thirsty for more Chris Rea and more Blues!!
on 13 September 2011
First ofF ~ Chris Rea offers superb value to his fans, his multi CD / Album sets are amazing value ~ wake you other musicians.
Santo Spirito Blues again offers excellent value, 2 DVD's 3 CD's ~ OK the music from the DVD is also included as individual CD's but that gives choice.
The music is as usual brilliant, the Spanish Guitar music on "Bull Fighting" is superb ~ the video images of the actual Bull Fight are both compulsive viewing and sickeningly cruel ~ it should be banned!!!
The Santo Spirito DVD / CD is again excellent, some tracks have a Gotan Project feel, not all the tracks are winners I'm not fussy on Dante's Inferno but that's an individal view, as usual with Chris Rea some superb slide guitar.

Finally the actual SANTO SPIRITO BLUES CD excellent, all the things that make Chris Rea what he is ~ excellent guitar work, beautiful slide work and that gravely voice.

This guy is so good, I have been a Clapton fan since the Yardbirds in the 60's and Chris Rea was a pop singer who made afew good tracks to me, now? he's up there with the best ~ interestingly I chose this box set over Claptons new release for a birthaday present, and what a good choice ~ BUY IT, but I'd say get the box set you get so much more for the money and the tracks on Bull Fighting CD are well worth the additional cost on their own. Thank you Chris Rea.