on 25 April 2014
We're taking this with us on the Kindle when we go to Greece on holiday for the first time and have been using it alongside an audio learning Greek course. It seems to be well organised, covering the basics, and gives you phrases for a range of different situations. As is often the case, the pronunciation guides are a bit fanciful, which is why having an audio-based course which encourages you to mimic the phrases is really essential if you want to learn to communicate. I would rate this as a good second string to an audio learning course. One problem with the Kindle version (ours anyway) is that the Greek letter pi (lower case) fails to display at all in the earlier sections of the book. It seems to be ok in later sections.
on 29 July 2014
Nothing special as a book but also so many mistakes!! I am Greek and got that for a friend but the amount of mistakes must mean that they just passed it through an automatic OCR software or something... If you have it I would recommend avoiding the suggested 'Do you have any children?' phrase. Or at least don't be too surprised if everyone bursts out laughing... :)
2 people found this helpful
on 28 July 2014
This phrase book is so poor I cannot imagine in what respect the publisher thinks it is suitable for a kindle.

I often find phrase books frustrating to use, will I find the word for 'tomorrow' under 'useful phrases', 'days of the week' or reserving a table / room etc. So I thought a kindle version would be so much better since surely I would be able to search the book. But no!

Even when I am on a page with the word I am looking for, the search facility cannot find it.

The dictionary has no way of navigating to a particular letter, so every time you look for a word you have to scroll from A.

I have not tried any other publisher's phrase books, but this one is not worth buying in the kindle version.
on 27 March 2014
Just from viewing the first 20 pages you can see that lower case π [pi] is missing from words, for example μπύρα [beer] is written as μύρα. Since visitors with no Greek language experience will probably use the phonetic pronunciations, this may not be a problem for many users, but not much help when deciphering menus or street signs. Very sloppy of Collins to release this Kindle version.
on 12 June 2013
Really useful to be building a set of phrasebooks on my Kindle. There seem to be one or two omissions...like not saying anywhere that aspirated vowels need to be pronounced with a "p" before them. But having it on Kindle means one less thing to carry around and it takes seconds to type in a foreign word from a menu and get the translation from a much bigger dictionary than a normal phrase book or to find the Greek for an English word while out and about.
on 25 June 2012
This is absolutely loaded with errors and should be avoided, until they take the time to come up with a revised edition. Only gave it 1 star because it's not possible to give 0! I am only a student of Greek myself (certainly no expert) and yet I found it full of Greek spelling mistakes, Greeklish pronounciation errors, random spaces midword and inconsistent pronounciations and spellings, the formatting also leaves a lot to be disired.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 May 2014
Very poor. There are loads of errors both in the Greek and pronunciation. If you don't know any Greek, this will mislead you. Do not buy.
on 26 January 2014
I Chose this rating as the item was as ordered and as how I expected
delivery was as stated when ordered
on 26 May 2014
If this had of been bought as a hard I would have taken it back and asked for a refund. There are so many mistakes that its embarrassing. Even as a new student of Greek I could see the mistakes the Greek letter P missing and words and phrases incorrect.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 October 2012
It's a very good addition to learning materials - supports other aids very well. Great value for money too. Simple to use, even for an oldie like me!