on 26 August 2016
Just what I was looking for - a taster before I get stuck into reading in more detail about this period of history. Yes I would like to know more about this time period now but getting bogged down in too much detail at an early stage is a deterrent.
on 6 February 2013
I had read the two books previous to this about the world wars....but this just completely confused me and therefore I lost interest. If you were to ask me now what happened in the cold,war, I wouldn't be able to give you a definite answer...I would read it again, but I fear that I may die of boredom....sorry
on 21 November 2012
This little book really does take about an hour to read. It covers most of the important Cold War events on a few Kindle pages. It is well-written, although on a few occasions it included some random facts (which is nice, but also strange as there is so much to talk about in the Cold War and this is a small book!)

I liked it, but it left we wanting a bit more detail. It seemed too basic for my part, but I suppose that was the point of it.

There is a section with the biographies of some of the key people in the Cold War which is good (although maybe the book could have made better use of its limited space by describing some of the Cold War events in more detail..). The price was more than fair - compared to the price I have paid for some other Kindle books which aren't that much bigger, it seems like good value.
on 21 September 2014
This war was more just people talking trash to each other for 50 years. The temperature of the countries involved is irrelevant (although it can be cold in Russia Brrrrrr!)
on 12 February 2013
I really enjoyed this informative snapshot of the Cold War. As a complete novice to this subject, it has definitely inspired me to find out more.
on 5 January 2012
A great refresher on what I half remembered from a-levels - nice to have pictures to look at on the new kindle too. Would recommend.
on 20 January 2015
Granted, there's only so much a little book like this one can cover, so you won't get all the fancy details that perhaps a traditional Cold War history book might ponder with such as the exact names of spies and specific development points of the Manhattan project or the intrinsic linking of WWII with the American involvement in the Cold War (i.e. this book doesn't talk about the how's and why's of Japans attack on Pearl Harbor), but why should it, because that's extensive, and it's not the Cold War.

I didn't expect much, but this book is the meat without the bread on the Cold War, it gets four stars for sometimes skimming over certain facts, but overall it's a great cost effective way for a mild historian of WWII to quickly acquaint with the eery timeline of nuclear 'about to sneeze kind of sensations' type scares that came after it.

Also, the only book I've read by skimming through it momentarily throughout just one day.
on 3 April 2015
If you just want a quick refresher it I'd a good way to start. If you are looking for an in depth overview why are you even considering a book with "History in an hour" in the title.
on 10 February 2013
I have a very sound understanding of the cold war period and found that by referring to chronological events shown in this book it is a very good memory aid. However, the readers should be wary of a few minor innacuracies, such as the one for one exchange for Gary Powers was in actual fact a two for one. Just niggly issues like this prevents a 5 star classification.
on 28 September 2013
Brilliant - This book will tell me everything I need to know
and it won't be endless hundreds of daunting pages which
will take an insane length of time to read - It is short and
easy - Just what I'm looking for - I've been after books like
this for a very long time