on 20 August 2013
A good sized phrasebook with useful grammar/phrases etc. in. Small area for Italian to English and English to Italian words so cannot be used as a dictionary. Some things in it are a little dated - for example it says men should not go into town dressed in shorts! This maybe in some areas of Italy but definitely did not apply in the area we visited. Overall a good book which I would use again. It helps with day to day phrases and the locals appreciate that you are trying to speak as much of their language as you can!
on 13 June 2011
This product was very useful not just because of the content but also because it was small enough to carry with you everywhere. It was nicely divided into sections and provided easy pronunciation too.

Well thumbed and will be carried everywhere.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2013
Being something of an Italiophile I always try to visit that country at least once a year and when I do it is always gratifying to be able to hold conversations in the native language. The only problem is that my memory for languages is, and always has been, positively short term. A little revision three weeks or so before a visit helps to brush up the finer points. Collins' handy Italian Phrasebook, therefore, is an extremely useful and portable tool to assist in this (I have the Kindle version). It is so easy to use, everything is grouped into sensible and relevant sections and there are handy tips throughout. I have used Collins' language guides in the past for Greek and Portuguese and can highly recommend these as well.
on 15 May 2013
I recently took this to Italy with me, I kept it in my bag and referred to it constantly, mainly to check meanings of words as it has quite a comprehensive dictionary in it as well as being a phrase book. It also has 9 pages of grammar. It is very small, 4 1/2 ins by 3ins, but packed with very useful phrases clearly separated into situations eg shopping, health, driving etc. I think the Italians were quite impressed with my attempts to speak the occasional phrase and words to them in Italian. They said most English people never attempt to speak Italian and expect them to speak English.
on 14 August 2013
Nice pocket phrase book, Ideal to pop in to the suit case,just what we need to travel around Sorrento and get stuck on the language
on 26 March 2015
A great little book which I bought in conjunction with the Lonely Planet guide. I like the fact that this book also has a grammar guide at the back as I've managed to link it to French grammar and words, a language of which I also speak a little, which has helped. This guide is definitely the one to get if you are planning to drive around Italy as it has a section on car hire, explaining car problems to a garage and road signs. Although there are also extensive sections for public transport - even down to telling you the best value tickets to get for the metro in Milan!
I think it has some quirks too - the familiar form of the word 'you' is used in conversations where you are meeting people, a situation which implies you would need to use the formal form of 'you' as you don't know them at that point.
The book is handy sized for fitting into hand luggage and has extensive menu decoder and English to Italian/Italian to English dictionary guide. I would recommend to all travellers. It also compliments my other guide.
on 11 October 2013
Extremely helpful so much so I didn`t need the rough guide to Sardina that I purchased to go with this book. Easy simple phrases that were very useful. Also contained information on local customs, where to buy certain items, opening times etc etc. It never left myside the two weeks we were there. Great
on 15 October 2013
Covers all the areas you will need to communicate easily whilst on holiday, a tip though, read it thoroughly before you go as there is a lot of information in there, I would also bookmark the commonly used areas with "post it tabs" for easy quick referencing.
on 26 August 2013
Bought the Kindle version to be able to take this phrase book with me all over Italy. Found the phrasebook really useful, but did find there were some Italian and English words missing from the dictionary, but for the price of the book this can be overlooked.
on 14 December 2013
This lovely wee fella helped me out in many a sticky situation when I was in Italy for 3 weeks - it's got almost every useful phrase imaginable when you're taking a trip to Italy, and even has a menu-translator and a dictionary at the back! Very useful :)