Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.12

on 7 February 2014
I don't tend to read work like this. Historical fantasy and me butt heads a lot but we worked well together on this. What a great read! Loved the fact it had recognisable characters in the story, well known characters from history and mythology.

I admit it starts off slow and it feels like a young persons story but please, give it a chance. The story fleshes out really well and gets you gripped, turning into a well written, in depth read.

Do not be put off by previous reviews about too much "bad language", as there isn't any to be overly concerned with and the language suits the characters. If I had to mention the "worst" word used then I'd say it was the word 'crap'. Judge that word as you please but I don't think it's worth getting upset about.

As for rantings about the book ending right in the middle of the main storyline, ignore them! The story is too big for just one book, much like most stories written. Yes, it's a cliffhanger but that's fine. If the author had rammed the whole story into one book, it would of been short, uninteresting and full of holes.

Overall, a very good read and i'm glad I left my comfort zone to try something different. I look forward to reading the next installment
on 24 September 2012
I have really enjoyed this book. Once it picked up it became quite fast with lots of characters to get to know and like. To be honest I have read the first couple of pages a few times because it starts off like a book for younger readers so I wasn't sure if it would actually get any better. But I stuck with it and I'm glad that I did. If you like Celtic Mythology then be prepared for a multitude of names that you will be familiar with. This book ends very quickly but I'm very glad that I have the second one ready to go and I've just put the third one on my wishlist for Christmas!
on 19 June 2014
Amazing book, amazing story, if you like fantasy style books, then this is for you, keep up the grand work, and get writing, my girl is waiting for the next one
on 6 August 2014
One of the best fantasy books I have read in a long time. The characters pull you in and i was just itching to turn the pages to see how their stories would unravel. An absolute masterpiece. going straight onto the next in the series :-)
on 22 October 2013
The characters are great - story is great - what more can you ask - I am even doing the review before I have finished - love it
on 1 January 2013
Enjoyed this book very much and looking forward to reading the next instalment only downside was a few spelling mistakes. Would be enjoyed by anyone young and old who like adventure and magic
on 7 December 2012
I chose the glass apple because he is a local author. I was hooked after first couple of chapters.I enjoyed the relationships between the characters.
on 9 September 2011
I picked up this book last week by chance - and I'm very very glad I did. This is a wonderful piece of storytelling suitable for all ages.
The story tells of three orphans - Jason (12), Kylie (10) and little Anna (5). After the death of their mother they end up in the care of their eccentric Grandfather Ethelbert Gobswistle, a strange character they have never met before.
The first few chapters are humerous and may seem more suited to a younger reader but stick with it because it gets a lot darker later on. Gobswistle is on the run for stealing a glass object (the apple of the title) and a small black christmas tree fairy from his 'employers' in the USA and nearly as soon as he has the custody of the children they are pursued by the enemy - "The Medb" (or Mave).
It turns out the only way to defeat the Medb is with the help of 3 books but these are hidden in the past. When Gobswistle, the children and Etain (the fairy) go back to the time of Merlin to get the books they are separated, Jason and Anna in one place and Gobswistle, Kylie and Etain in another and this is where the story really kicks off.
The characterisation is exceptional (especially Etain, the fairy with sass and attitude and Aiken the Boggart) and the feel for the historical times is top notch.
The story ends on a cliffhanger and I am eagerly awaiting the next book (due Christmas 2011).
The style of the story is part Harry Potter, part Narnia, and part E. Nesbitt, and all of the parts come together to give a wholly satisfying yarn.
Enter the world of The Glass Apple - you won't be sorry.(less)
on 9 September 2012
The Glass Apple has got good reviews and I got it when it was free so I was eager to read it. The story started as though it was a children's book, very like an Enid Blyton story and I nearly gave up reading it because I felt it was aimed at a far younger audience.

It almost felt like the author had woken up one morning as a different person as the writing style changed and the story got more involved, the fantasy deepened and the whole thing became more readable. I felt that the original quest the children had started changed into a different one altogether.

I agree with the other reviewers about the author's ability to write good, atmospherically descriptive scenes and I was well hooked until......... I was getting near to the end of the book thinking that the tale would have to twist quite a lot in order to come to a conclusion, when I realised that there wasn't going to be a great ending! The story finished right in the middle of the plot and I was left feeling really disappointed.

I hate books that don't make it clear they cannot be read as a whole story, I don't want to read part of a serial! I didn't feel it was so good that I have to buy the next book to find out what happens, so, reader, be warned!
on 25 May 2014
as others have mentioned this book has a beginning that seems written for a much younger reader than its main body. the rather twee tone in which we are introduced to the principal characters is 'ok' (although the car which puts chitty chitty bang bang in the shade is a step too far towards infantile for me). the personalities are distinct and well drawn and the dialogue is natural and flowing, with the exception of the 'americanised' characters accents which are pretty muddied. as soon as the ridiculously named 'cookie crumb' (a house!) is breached by evil forces the story seems to undergo a schizophrenic change for the better and we are plunged into a frenetic adventure through time and alternative realities. i found the way the author describes scenery, atmosphere and characters absolutely gripping. you are quite effortlessly drawn into the action and quickly become involved with the childrens welfare and what direction their twisting paths will take next. there is a tough, gritty reality to the writing which creates an undercurrent of doubt that everyone, including the main characters, are going to survive their perilous adventures. this is rare and totally refreshing when most fiction/fantasy guarantees "everything will be ok in the end". while the unpredictable nature of the storyline keeps the reader guessing, the fact it is peopled with heroes, villains and creatures of myth and celtic legend that we are familiar enough with to somehow ensure we dont feel totally dazed and confused by all the action. while i have a great interest in the many ancient myths and cetic folklore the uk offers, i am not a fan of pure fantasy 'sword and sorcery'. while i enjoyed this book (which was a free download) i am still rather undecided as to whether i will continue following the series. however i have read a sample of book 2 and would not be surprised if i am lured back to follow this clever and vry well written series