on 13 April 2017
Not particularly good
on 2 September 2011
As another reviewer said, these aren't horror stories of the vampire, slasher, gore-fest type and, as a result, they lever themselves more insidiously into your consciousness. Even though you know that's the genre you're reading, Longmuir lulls you into accepting the normality of what she's describing. Her characters are normal, relatively `ordinary' people in mostly familiar contexts, but as you get to know them, they or the contexts warp, twist, take us further and further into what becomes a nightmare for them, and/or for us. My own favourite here is Brainpower, but they're all good, scary reads.
on 10 November 2011
A total spine tingler!!! fantastic collection of 4 short stories that will have you begging for more! Totally creepy. Loved it loads!!!
on 18 April 2012
This collection of stories was entertaining with some nice twists in the conclusions. The "Ghost Train" had me guessing until the very end. "Brainpower" is a salutory lesson and should be a warning to us all. "The Gourmet Club" deals with a difficult subject in a clever way and delivers a horrific and unexpected conclusion that should please readers of this genre.

Overall this is a nice group of stories that is suitable as a gentle introduction to new readers of the ghostly and horror genres
on 26 November 2011
I approached this book with considerable trepidation, since horror is most assuredly not 'my thing'. I actually won the book in a competition - and wasn't sure whether to say Thank You - or 'Oh Help!'

Anyway - I steeled myself to read it - with a stiff drink close by, a cat on my lap and a comforting dog at my feet - and I'm very glad I did. Chris Longmuir writes a great yarn - and the horror is generally of the subtle variety that creeps up on you and leaves you shuddering, rather than flying straight at you with fangs bared and talons curved ready for action.

Having said that - it would probably be wise not to read 'The Gourmet Club' if you're just about to have your tea - or worse still, if you've just had it!

I'm never likely to become a convert to horror - I'm too much of a scaredy-cat - but if anyone could drag me to the dark side - it would definitely be Chris...
on 15 July 2012
The only disappointment I had in reading these short stories was that there wasn't more of them. Each was different and thought provoking, especially The Gourmet Club. Please write more. I was reminded of that great TV series way back when of horror stories with a twist. More please.
on 20 August 2011
Ghost Train and Other Stories by Chris Longmuir is a collection of short stories that is sure to have you sleeping with the lights on, providing you can get to sleep in the first place. We've all heard horror stories that scare us but we can dismiss them as fanciful. The truly horrible are those stories that take a normal fear well beyond the comfort level where you really don't want to go; to a place where maybe you can see it actually happening.... have fun, horror fans.
on 21 August 2011
This collection of horror stories has no vampires or werewolves nor the blood and gore that the horror genre has taken on in recent years. These stories get inside your head and stay there.

Definitely not for the faint-hearted but if you love to be scared when you read, then this collection is for you.
on 26 October 2014
I love horror and stories of the supernatural so thought this would be a good read going by the synopsis.

After reading the first two tales (Ghost Train and The Gourmet Club) I almost gave up on it as the writing style wasn't convincing or particularly engrossing ... if it had been a hard copy I'd have been checking to see how much longer each story went on but as it was on a Kindle I just plodded on as I hate to be beaten.

I'm glad I did as the final tales were so much better - less predictable and perhaps I'd just got used to the slightly flowery prose but I found them much more enjoyable to read.

Worth buying if only for the last 3.
on 17 October 2012
The writing style put me off and the characters didn't seem real enough. Even the 'good' people I found to be unsympathetic, a little more description to set up the scenes wouldn't have gone amiss.

Not my cuppa.