on 31 August 2014
bought this about a year ago for my son as he goes to camps etc with Scouts so didn't want to spend too much money. He absolutely loves it the only downside was that with duracell batteries in after about 30 pics the batteries just died. took it back to get an exchange and was told to try lithium batteries all though they are expensive they are well worth the money and had no problem since he takes it everywhere with him and we use it a lot on holidays. We have had some exceptional photos from it and some good video footage also would definitely recommend this sort again.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 November 2011
I can't believe that I'm back again reviewing a Canon powershot - but I am. I saw this one come out, with no intention of buying it, but there was a good price on Amazon, cashback from Canon, and a relative needing a camera, so I couldn't resist passing the old one on and buying the SX150is. It's available in silver and red as options, but I stuck to black.

First of all this is a superzoom camera, which means it has a big range of focal lengths. This gives a body which is slightly bigger than most pocket-sized cameras, but the benefit is the ability to zoom in - and boy can you zoom in! It has a 12x optical zoom and to indicate what that means; I was standing so my shed was filling about a quarter of the screen, and then zoomed in fully and the fairly small shed window filled the screen on the optical zoom, without resorting to the digital zoom. It is the equivalent of 28 mm to 336 mm, for a 35mm camera, which is as much as you are ever likely to want.

Power is provided by AA batteries, which doesn't suit everyone, but it really works for me. We have dozens of high capacity rechargeables, and they are long-lasting, with charged spares always to hand. The original alkalines didn't do very well though, so try to use rechargeables. If you are going to carry them charged for a long time it's also worth getting the long-lasting ones.

The sensor has been upgraded to 14.1 megapixels, from 12 before, which helps in low light, and is all anyone is ever likely to need for everyday family use.
Settings are simple to use, with lots of manual options. I tend to ignore the easy mode and go straight to auto option, which has 31 settings for the camera to choose from. Then you can move to SCN mode, which I generally use for scenery and people. Then there are the programme modes, and finally manual settings.

There are various filter modes, including a miniature scene mode, toy camera mode and colour swap. I rarely use them, but they're useful for a bit of fun. Speaking of fun smart shutter, smile detection takes a photo when it detects someone smiling. It may seem a little gimmicky, but it does actually work, and has improved photos of people - maybe because they know they're stuck there until they smile!

Photo quality is very good, probably an advance on the last one. Because of the large sensor you can blow the photos up quite large, and retain the detail. Canon reckons you can print to A2. I rarely print photos, but like to use the highest quality setting nevertheless. A 4gb memory card holds around 1000 photos at the highest resolution. Even zoomed in the detail is good, with the image stabilisation working to reduce shake. Colours are good, very realistic, although I have sometimes detected a slight yellowish cast indoors.

I have tried the video, and am quite happy with it, but it isn't why I bought the camera, and I'm unlikely to use it very often.

It's worth giving the software a quick shout as well. I like zoombrowser to upload new photos to my computer with very little fuss. Plug in the camera, switch it on and off you go.

So all-in-all this quality of camera, with this range of zoom, with an overwhelming range of manual settings, but very good photos out-of-the box in auto mode, has to be worth 5 stars.

Edit 27-12-11 I've added two photos of Leith Hall to the product description. They are intended to show the range of the zoom, rather than being held up as good photos. They were both taken from the same place, one at the wide-angle setting, and the other fully zoomed in, using the optical zoom only. As you can see it really does have a huge range.
review imagereview image
164 people found this helpful
|77 Comments|Report abuse
on 19 August 2014
I was so looking forward to using this camera on my short holiday...but it refused to work from the start. I am very surprised that a giant like Canon could allow a dud like this to go onto the market. It has shaken my confidence in their products, and I am wary of ordering again.
On the bright side, the Amazon staff were exemplary, and understood exactly how disappointing it was. They spent literally hours on the phone, to find as solution.
on 30 May 2015
Really good camera, excellent zoom and great quality pictures, however the battery life is appalling!!! During a four day trip it used up 6 batteries. What am i doing wrong? No-one else seems to have had the same problem so i don't know what the issue is
on 15 February 2013
I received this item as a Christmas gift as my previous digital camera (Samsung NV100 HD) which I have had for years had sadly been dropped a few too many times and so had become faulty. An interest of mine is photography, and my Samsung was a brilliant all-rounder digital camera for this and even got me through a Photography course with top marks! However I was recommended Canon as they were also deemed to be good "all-rounders"

Having used this camera for a good two months I have found the following:

PROS:
- Excellent zoom quality
- Easy to use
- Comfortable to hold when shooting
- Picture quality can be good when shooting inside (provided flash is used, otherwise blurry)
- I find using the flash generates high-quality pictures
- Landscape pictures come out good quality
- Nice looking camera
- Cheap price

CONS:
- When not using flash, even in outside/well lit environment picture quality is not good
- Manual flash (Can be seen as pro or con depending on preference)
- Macro (close-up) mode is awful. Have taken better close up pictures with the camera on my old mobile phone!
- Flash has to charge before and after use which can be time-consuming
- Never had a camera with such high battery usage (I use re-chargeable specially designed camera batteries, have tried alternate batteries thinking mine were just getting old but then realised it was the camera at fault)
- Unreliable picture quality

Sadly this is not the camera for me and I am hoping to upgrade soon. Depending on preference/use I'm sure this would be perfect camera for some people but for just not for me.
4 people found this helpful
on 12 February 2012
I got active on flickr so I needed to learn how to use a camera properly. In this digital age most is done for us in the design and the technology of cameras but I wanted to understand the use of manual focus, shutter speed and aperture and all that makes the difference to a good shot. The canon powershot SX130is was recommended to me last year by a photographer of 50years+ so I bought it. I learnt so much with the SX130is and saw a vast improvement in my own photography. Sadly I had an accident and broke this camera but I still have much to learn before I spend out loads of money on a camera I don't really understand. So I bought the SX150is which has more to offer than the SX130is for near enough the same price. I'm extremely happy with this purchase and would recommend this to any novice in photography or even and the expert just to carry around with them. Like anything else though your need a good teacher but this camera is so easy to understand once you've learnt the basics and will produce exceptional results. Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Camera - Black (14.1 MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD with Wide Viewing Angle
20 people found this helpful
on 3 June 2013
Purchased this camera from Fonz Mania as a present for someone else.Camera arrived,but as soon as I unpacked it I realized it has been used.Box was tatty,no manufacturer seal nor there was a protective film on the LCD display.On further inspection I found a glue from a ripped off sticker near the battery compartment.When I contacted the seller he asked me - 'Why do you think the camera has been used???'
There was no communication afterwards and I had to contact Amazon.Please,check your cameras carefully for scratches on the screen and all the above-mentioned.The discounted price had a catch for me.
on 24 April 2013
The Canon SX150 is a really great camera. I'm not away of any other camera that comes close to it for value for money and in red looks even more cool. Built like a brick and I've dropped it and still works fine. It's not a pocket camera like the SX200 series it is a hunk of a camera, but I don't mind that. You can however still get it in decent size jean pocket and definitely jacket pocket, it's not huge like a bridge or DSLR.
I shoot night shots and macro mostly and this does the job brilliantly, due to the manual modes it has. Also a great lens to go on the front of it is the LittleBigShot which gives it DSLR performance for macro shots.
So saying all that why only 4 stars and not the max. I have to drop a star because of it's slow, almost non existent continuous mode, it really is terrible, even for a compact camera. I also have the SX220, cameras are my thing and the 220 blows it out of the water as regards speed. However if shootings wildlife and more static subjects is your thing this is a top camera it really is. These are some of the shots I've got with it [...]

Pros:
Manual mode PASM Modes
12 x Zoom enough for most situations
Nice in the hand
Good build
I actually like the look of it
Design
You can use CHDK Canon Powershot Hack with it, which is fantastic on this camera believe me
Great for night and macro shots
All rounder

Cons
Slow
on 10 January 2013
This is a great camera with great features & a great lens at a great price. You won't go wrong with this product.
on 3 February 2012
I purchased this camera to replace my old Fuji which, after years of good service has now stopped working. The Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Camera is a vast improvement and shows just how much digital cameras have improved over the last few years. I am absolutely delighted with this purchase and the quality of pictures is superb. Amazon was also the best price by some way! Highly recommended!
11 people found this helpful