on 24 January 2013
Bought salt spreader for private estate in anticipation of snow. When snow fell, used spreader to scatter fairly coarse grit / salt mixture. The hole size is adjustable (and can be closed when filling it to avoid spillage) by rotating the base. With the coarse mix we use, it needed the widest setting of 6. The grit / salt can then be spread just by walking along shaking the spreader up and down to spread the correct amount. Worked perfectly and very easy to use, many times easier than having to stoop continually to use a shovel for scattering. For use with finer salt, a lower setting with smaller holes would be needed and you would probably agitate or swing the spreader rather then shaking it up and down. Thoroughly recommended as a brilliantly designed product perfect for its purpose. Other reviewers who have complained that not much comes out at a time should be aware that the correct rate of spreading is only 1 tablespoon per square metre and it achieves this. Scattering more would just be a waste and wouldn't have any more effect. The melting is caused by people then walking on it or vehicles driving on it which mixes the salt into the snow, not by the quantity of salt spread!
on 17 January 2014
I bought this in anticipation of it snowing this winter but it has not done so yet.
I have given it a "dry run" with a salt grit mix with the largest opening selected, I also tried it with some sand I had left over from the drive blocks.
So far my only concern is that the hinges that open the top are not really hinges but a thinner bit of plastic and I am not sure how these will stand up to much use. If you want one of these search for the best price as they vary tremendously for the same item from the same manufacturer.
I will update this review when/if I use it in anger.
on 7 January 2013
Only used twice as we have not had much ice so far this year. it did the job, but a bit slower than just throwing down a few handfuls of rock salt. However, after using the second time i liked it better.. perhaps a case of just getting used to it. Saw the same item in a catalogue for £15 PLUS POSTAGE... Yes . EXACTLY the same label..
on 2 December 2012
I've had 2 of these for 2 winters. It is a good idea but the amount of salt released is too little to do the job unless you have hours to spend on it.It takes about 10-20 shakes to treat 1 foot on path (2 foot wide). A table salt grinder would be quicker! Bearing in mind that this is heavy and cold, it is just not worth the effort in my opinion. I do not use mine at all any more.
on 11 March 2013
Most of the time in winter, we all use our hands to spread rock salt or something similar. Apart from the fact that the salt isn't really good for one's skin, it's very very cold as well.

This item is a fabulous idea and I wish I had had the opportunity to have one in previous years. It deserves it's 5 stars, and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 6 February 2013
I found this product difficult to open at the top and had to work with it for about 10mins before I could get it open. Once opened and the rock salt inside, I found it spread unvenly and if the rock salt slightly damp, it just clumps together in the bottom of the spreader. I find I use my hands to spread the grit / rock salt and basically use it as a container.
on 28 December 2012
well desidned, well made ,makes spreading salt very easy,i used for non salt deicer still works...tried it on both types,has a simple click lock for open close..aduster screw lock to adjust amount put down ...v good
better than a shovel for smaller areas, even large areas can be done if you swing your arms.. clever design.
on 20 January 2013
This is actually an excellent product but came without instructions and the lid was open when it arrived in the box.
1 - close the dispensing holes of by sliding the bottom light blue component
2 - put salt/grit into the unit
3 - snap the handles closed
4 - carry to site
5 - turn unit upside down and open the holes - selecting a good hole size to dispense what you need by testing - dispensing happens when you turn the right way up and twist and shake the unit.
6 - when finished dispensing and there is still salt/grit in the unit then turn the unit upside down completely and close off the holes
7 - when empty open the handles by carefully unclicking the handles and return to 1..

I have only had the unit for a few days and so far so good..
on 22 February 2013
a rilliant piece of kit when the weather turns. I can grit both the drive and path in one go instead of backwar and forward with a shovel. I am now ready for what ever the weather an throw at us. Bring it on!
on 14 February 2012
Item arrived promtly and in good condition. I used it after recent snow and it worked reasonably well. However the amount it
dispenses at any one time is a little on the small side for real effectiveness.