on 31 August 2014
An advocate of excellent coffee (in my case strong black Americano), I have owned one 'Pod' type machine and tasted from many others owned by friends and family. Impressed by none yet, mine was sold within weeks after spending far too much on every pod available to my machine. Ugh...!!!
Then, having read a report from a well-known analytical magazine. I decided to give it a chance. My cafetiere was ok, but I needed something a little special. Clearly, ground coffee advertised as being for 'all' machines is not an option with a pressure pumped machine so beware. The coffee needed is ground to a much finer powder. Grind your own beans as I do but never with a bladed grinder, it must be a proper 'crusher' machine. After trying numerous famous expensive brand beans, oddly enough, the best yet for me are a well-known supermarket's own grade 5 bean. A thick creme head which lasts to the bottom of the cup is enjoyed from this machine. Usually two a day does me and, I am enjoying one now as I write.
Surely, it's a little more trouble than pods but heh! What price an excellent cup of coffee against a mediocre one.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2012
Bought this machine after comparing all the overs. Couldnt be more happy a super machine makes brilliant coffee and really easy to use. Leaves a great crema onthe coffe that stays all the way down and the milk frother is simple to use and makes great lattes and hot chocolates etc..
I am so pleased i bought this machine its saved me a fortune on buying Costa coffes as can make them just as nice at home!!!!
on 6 April 2012
I have had this machine over a year when we moved to England and could not take it. So, I purchased another one exactly the same from Amazon. It arrived is 2 days and I had free delivery. It is easy to use. Makes a great foam. And saves money. Be sure to get a good coffee that is ground for espresso and not for a coffee maker.
on 10 October 2012
I purchased this product after our 2.5 years old Magimix L'espresso started leaking. We looked around and found that "Which" had given a good review for the new ( January 2012) DeLonghi EC250 pump espresso machine - it does what it says very well, good espressos with plenty of crema and excellent frothing - in fact the best I have experienced. The only niggle is inserting the coffee filter handle, it seems hard and awkward, but with time one may get used to it. Which reported this machine being avaiable for around £90 but no where is available for that price.
on 18 June 2013
This leaks all over the place from the bottom of the machine. Nice coffee but short lived. Would not recommend.
on 7 November 2013
This machine makes great coffee as good as you can get at Caffe Nero etc but major fault is that the machine leaks water all over the place- it must be a design fault- the water from the rear reservoir gets sucked up into the machine where it is heated to steam-fine- but the water that is not used in the coffee cup runs back down after use BUT is not re-absorbed into the water reservoir despite the fact that the reservoir has a simple spring valve - it just drips everywhere- i have fiddled with the plastic washer around the spring but to no avail! i am so f.ed up with this happening that i now don't use it as often as i would like! The fault might be more tolerable if the water reservoir was not stuck externally on the back of the coffee maker! Not a great idea as it is easy to dislodge when moving the machine around
on 28 January 2013
I bought this coffee maker for my husband for Christmas and he seems really impressed by it. I wasn't sure which coffee maker to buy but I happened to notice the Which magazine had done a review on it and it came out as a best buy. I would definitely recommend it as a good purchase .
on 9 June 2013
Do not buy this. It leaks whenever I use it. Coffee flavour is not that good. Very disappointed with this item.
on 7 July 2012
Very Very excellent I am happy with this lovely espresso machine, easy to clean, dose not take a large space, quick to warm up and I recommend it for everyone who loves drinking coffee
on 20 January 2013
Delonghi EC250.B Pump Espresso Machine

First the good point, the coffee tasted like a cappaccino should. This was far outweighed by the bad points:

1. I was not in when it was delivered but because the tracking email stated the day of delivery I wondered where it was. I was on the point of phoning the courier (£1.90 a minute)the day after the delivery date when I saw my neighbour and asked her if she knew anything about it, yes she did but she hadn't told me nor had the courier left any notification that it had been left with a neighbour.

2. Filter holder does not go into correct position resulting in water and coffee grounds coming over the top and going into the 'made' coffee.

3. The cappaccino maker and nozzle continually shot off when in use, I thought at first this was my error in not putting it on properly but it was not, very annoying especially when it had to be fished out of very hot milk.

4. Water tank LEAKS, there was a big pool of water under the machine and this is DANGEROUS.

5. Condensation behind three buttons at the top.

I read the previous reviews but thought that because WHICH had recommended this machine, the negative reviewers were unlucky, no so - WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY THIS MACHINE.

I would like to add that Amazon have been excellent in facilitating the return of this machine, refund of cost and postage and I now have received my replacement machine a Gaggia Espresso Cubika Plus RI8151/60, keeping fingers crossed that there are no problems with this one.