Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 February 2002
In the live version of Tom Lehrer's first album he sets about parodying a variety of musical forms, from the nostalgic ballad about the absurdly saccharine home town to the football fight song. To the accompaniment of a piano he takes 12 different styles from their pedestals and gives them a firm grounding in reality( "Say you love and trust me/For I know you'll disgust me/When you're old and getting fat").
The CD also includes two songs Mr Lehrer wrote for a children's TV series called The Electric Company. These are nothing particularly special, although it was nice that they could be included rather than just leaving blank space on the CD.
In short, if you haven't tried Tom Lehrer before, this is a great place to start. If you are a fan already, the chances are you already have a copy of the songs here, but it's still worth it even if it's just for the dialogue between the songs. A hearty 5 stars.
on 28 December 2007
Superbe humour.
The songs are catchy and his stories in between are very funny. Sometimes references stuff from back then, but nothing wikipedia can't help you with.
on 19 May 2012
I loved Tom Lehrer's songs when I was young. Brilliant, clever, funny, often revolting. We had several LP records and we sang along. It was difficult to know which CDs to choose as there are different versions covering the same songs. I chose two CDs of live performances, and this was one. I am very happy with both and the songs are as good as ever.
on 10 September 2009
Such a great performer. My parents had one of Lehrer's albums and I had to buy this box set. Worth every penny. Enjoy
on 28 July 2013
This album is full of the Tom Lehrer wit and satire. How many times have I thought a boy scout should get a girlfriend. Though not many of his more famous songs are here, the Periodic Table for example, there is still plenty of anti establishment material.
on 16 January 2014
A C.D.of some great hilarious lyrics by a very funny man. He deserves a much wider audience of people with off beat senses of humour and maybe the world would be a happier place
on 13 April 2015
The songs are great but the remastering is poor, lots of crackles (which I was able to remove with some fairly simply desktop technology)
on 6 August 2015
I grew up listening to the Lp with my dad. It is a nostalgic and hilarious experience, and I would definitely recommend buying it.
on 19 December 2014
Excellent.Brought back happy memories.Laugh out loud and clever with it.
on 24 July 2014