on 1 March 2012
I bought this product to do what it says on the box: improve wireless cover in poor reception areas in the house. I liked the idea of just having one component.

Using an Apple Mac I tried installing the device using the set-up CD. I kept on getting a message saying the adaptor could not be found on the network. I connected the Apple to the Linksys router with an Ethernet cable and tried again. No luck.

I phoned Cisco Support and that is where my frustration only increased. The support operator based in India spoke unintelligible English. Painfully I gave him the unit serial number (microscopic 10-digit number on the outside of the box), my personal details etc. and finally we got down to trying to install the unit on the network.

In principle the installation process using the CD should be straightforward- but not it seems with an Apple.

To cut a long story short: after 30 minutes of concentrated and repetitive effort we failed to get the unit recognised by the existing Linksys network. The Cisco support person then simply said ' Yes, we do have problems with Apple, try it with Windows'. I gave up and returned the Linksys Extender to the shop and bought a set of Aztech plug-in power extenders. Plug and Play - simples!
on 22 February 2012
After reading a lot of good and bad reviews on this product i decided to take a chance as i already have a Linksys router so I thought that would somehow way the odds in my favour and this product would work better in my home system.

After a couple days I unplugged it and put it back in the box. Its performance is terrible. When I first got it I checked the signal in a specific location I wanted to put it with my laptop running on a wireless G LAN card. I then set up the RE1000 there and it would only pick up a 1/5 bar signal there according to the software installed.

Once I had eventually moved it closer to my router which was only about a metre away from the router its self the software said it had successfully connected.

Once it was all setup this device kept dropping connection time to time and when it was connected it was impossible to connect to the internet. It was almost impossible to access internet at all with this plugged in. It took about between 5-10mins to access a Google page, when I unplugged this device it loaded up webpages instantly.
It's a nice enough looking device but as of performance is terrible. If you're thinking of getting this my advice would be to buy a cheap wireless router connect a Network cable from one router to the other and turn of DHCP on the second router.
on 18 November 2011
I don't normally write reviews; after all what's good for me may not be any good for you. This is the exception.

A couple of months ago we moved to the country to a Victorian stone cottage. The Internet signal here isn't great: downloading at around 6.8 bps to my wired mainframe - by the time the wi-fi signal struggles through various stone walls to our lounge it drops off to a very precious little. Very frustrating, all I want is to drown out Downton Abbey on the TV (I know this sounds horrible, but it's true) by watching Sky Sports on my iPad2, but it couldn't be done. I even took to reading books (try it; it might well catch on). I've tried several ways of enhancing the signal - all fruitlessly. Then I saw a review for the Linksys RE1000 in a computer mag and thought it was worth a go (buoyed up by Amazon's no-quibble returns policy). £76 is a lot of money; it needed to work well. Anyway, the delivery arrived within 48 hours (thank you). It took no more than 10 minutes to set up. Get this: take the CD out of the box, insert it in your computer and follow the very simple instructions. It works. Amazing. Anyway, I had a placement issue which was speedily resolved - and then it was time to test the iPad. The download speed on my iPad via the box was 5.8bps - just 1 down from my wired mainframe. This was gobsmackingly good. I was able to watch Sky Sports with a perfect picture and surf the web at previously unknown of speeds. (Books? Pah, who needs 'em). So, this box is not going back; it is far far better than expected.

Gizmos have a habit of flattering to deceive, like a first-date, if this happens and my opinion changes I promise I'll up-date this review; but outside of this, if you need to enhance your Wi-Fi signal you should certainly consider this magic box; I hope it's as good for you as it is for me.
on 16 December 2011
The Linksys RE1000 Range Extender / Bridge arrived with a set up CD that didn't play on any of my computers so I had to set the Extender up manually. That apart it has provided me with what I needed - a good signal in previously dead areas of the house. Linksys offered to provide all the set up help necessary but the manual set up proved not too difficult to follow and no help was needed.
on 14 January 2012
This product works very well for some, but for me it simply doesn't work. Check out the review of equivalent products at amazon.com for a description of some of the problems that can occur. The bottom line is: this product may or may not work for you. Unlike me, make sure you keep the packaging, so you can send it back if it doesn't work.
on 22 September 2013
I bought this to improve the signal strength in a Victorian house and outbuilding. It just doesn't work. Having spent two unsuccessful days trying to get it working and four live chats totalling over ten hours with Linksys they can not get it to work either. The problem is possibly that the device is either not compatible with Windows 8 or with the BT homehub. Do not buy is my advice!! Not even worth the one star I gave it.
on 6 January 2012
I had a real dead-spot in my house - upstairs from the router. This was a perfect, very simple, very quick installation that now gives me 100% signal strength everywhere. It's much much better than I had hoped for. So now I have bought two more for friends.