on 19 August 2013
I grew up and cut my teeth on competitive multiplayer FPS games back when optical mice were the new kid on the block (mostly hours and hours of Q3/RA3), and have always compared every mouse since then to the original Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (the white and silver ambidextrous five button model) that I fell in love with. I've owned three of those, but mouse technology has moved on. I've been through Logitech, Razer and later Microsoft iterations and although I adjust to them relatively well, they tend to be overcomplicated and pricey to boot, or the buttons are too fiddly to use reliably. I've never liked on-the-fly DPS switching and the side buttons and shape of these mice tend to put me off a lot, but the Sensei Raw is well put together, is very similar in shape to that old mouse I love and has a fantastically smooth glide and nice switch/wheel action. The main buttons have just enough "give" and a shallow but satisfying action and click to be sure you're neither accidentally pressing it with the lightest touch, putting too much effort into pressing it or not sure if it has been pressed or not. The rubberised coating on this model is also very easy on the digits.

Someone in another review stated it feels "cheap", but I think this is more a product of it being less weighty than some. It still has a touch of heft to it (it doesn't feel like it's made of cardboard), it's just not VERY weighty. The actual feel of the mouse itself is solid, not "cheap" at all in the same way £10 off-brand budget mice might feel.

The Steel Series Engine software that serves to customize your keybindings and hardware settings is also easy to use and works without a hitch (I often had trouble with Logitech mice jumping between settings or resetting themselves).

So if you're looking for something that uses up to date optical tech and a nice feel in a simple, sleek package, this is a pretty good bet unless you have very, very large hands (since it has a relatively slim profile compared to some of the chunkier mice for high end gamers).
on 7 October 2014
The mouse feels and works very well. Only reason I did not give it a 5-star rating is because the cables are not braided but rubber. This is exactly the same as my previous SteelSeries Sensei Raw (Glossy Finish) except for the cable.

On a side note, the mouse looks absolutely gorgeous! The white is clean and sleek while the blue light definitely makes it a real beauty!
on 4 December 2013
I'll start by saying I ordered the mouse on 17th September, it arrived shortly and now it is 3rd December.

I bought the mouse to replace an old Microsoft mouse and as I already had a gaming PC I thought it was time to get peripherals to match, this mouse was a brilliant mouse, I play very 'aim' intensive game and this mouse is perfect for those, it's all you would expect from a gaming standard mouse, light, responsive, comfortable, 4 extra buttons that are individually programmable, 5 extra buttons if you count the DPI modifier next to the wheel. The comfort of this mouse is a key point for me as I often play for hours, the design allows for a 'clawed' grip or a 'palm' grip which are to my knowledge the most common ways of holding a mouse, also the mouse is designed for left handed or right handed use and includes a left hand mode in the software.

The steelseries engine the mouse runs off is also very nice for optimising the mouse to suit how you are comfortable with playing, I said earlier about there being a left hand mode but it goes further than that, allowing you to set 2 sensitivities for your mouse for when the LED next to the mouse wheel is on or off. You can set the brightness of the lights on the mouse and even the rate the lights pulsate from dim to bright.

All in all the best mouse I have ever used, and I can say through experience that it is very good for FPS, rhythm games (osu!), real time strategy and MOBA.
on 13 September 2017
It took about 2 years for there to be noticeable cracks along the start of the two mouse buttons, it has gotten so bad that the right mouse button has come off and is held together by tape. I am a bit sad about this but have loved using it, very responsive.
on 20 November 2015
I bought this during an offer where it was £31 and I can say that for the last 2 years I have had it I've had no problems at all. Compared to the Razer Mamba which I had, which had problems after a year, I can say that this mouse is well worth the purchase especially comparing the price.

I like this mouse for its no frills looks as I find many gaming mice tend to be covered in buttons or weird edges which just make them uncomfortable for daily use. The design of the mouse is just great for my grip and I'd recommend this mouse to anyone.
on 22 September 2014
Fine for most uses, but for gaming not quite perfect. Replaced my RAT 7 with this - the rubberised surface was a little difficult to get used to, but design-wise it's fairly standard. Comfortable, if a little small in my hand (I'm 6foot plus). The 'forward/back' button placement isn't quite right. It's good, fine for most, but not the best.
on 30 August 2016
This is a quality bit of kit. It isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for. The fully customisable buttons are great and although the customisable lighting colour is a bit gimmicky, my mouse matches my backlit keyboard...

This mouse is advertised for sale on the Microsoft website, which makes me think they might ultimately own the company that makes this.
on 10 December 2013
I'd be using Microsoft explorer 3 for many yeards and then i was pushed to change my mouse to habu cause i couldnt get my hands on an apropriate M.E. 3.Loved the habu , couldnt let it go , but since it stopped being produced , and my habu had problems with clicks i had again to move on to my next mouse. I was in love with the rubber on the buttons on habu , and was the main reason i was checkin this , but the grip was a little different and iI always had second thoughts.I got it , used it for a week , through which i couldnt stop complaining about the grip and the difference between the previous mouses.

At a sudden moment i found myself really relaxing my hand on it.It was as everyone claims a matter of habbit.I love it.
on 5 September 2012
I have used this mouse for a few months now, and it is pretty good. I have used and owned tons of "gaming mice" in the past couple of years and the Sensei is very good. First impressions are awesome, as the appearance of the mouse is very very nice, the finish on the top of the mouse is awesome.
I did have a lot of problems installing the software, as it's kinda buggy for Win7x64, but I did get it working in the end.
I also used a SteelSeries Xai a few months back, and I don't know what it is but I just prefer the Xai.
I think I paid £49.99 for the Sensei, and the Xai was cheaper, so I wish I would have got the Xai instead, but maybe that's just me.
All in all it's a pretty good mouse, I use it with a SteelSeries QcK Heavy mouse mat and don't have any problems with tracking.
on 30 September 2012
The mouse works as i expected it to, apart from if you are left handed and don't use the steelseries engine software/drivers ,

Because if the software isn't running any buttons that you have swapped from the left side to the right will revert to the left side, even after you have created a profile and saved it to the mouse (on board profiles).....

As this is one of the main selling points i feel it should retain those settings but other than that is seems ok, the build appears to be reasonable,
But the weak point is the cord,it shorts causing the mouse to randomly disconnect/reconnect again or become an unrecognisable device in windows, and the RMA means shipping costs to Denmark