Customer reviews

on 28 January 2013
Please see the review I wrote for 'Supporting Character Secrets' which pretty much covers this book too. These Blue Books on screen writing are, IMO, an incredible bargain. I suspect that there's more practical knowledge and insight here than you would get in a term (year?)at college. Save money on tuition fees and buy these books! Bill, if you read this review - please hurry up and convert your other titles into e-format! (especially the one on outlining)
on 19 March 2014
Once again, Bill Martell provides a complete stack of tools to help you get under the skin of your protagonist. Definitely more about practice and practical tools than theory. He uses many good examples to help illustrate his thinking. Not every tool will suit you or your story but he covers the subject from many angles so you should easily find something that helps you.
What I like is that he doesn't give you a list of things to do with the assumption that they will work and give you the best story ever. Instead he knows that they may not work and offers alternatives.
I've found d it very useful in shaping my latest script and really looked at myself to dig out some of the answers.
Recommended.
on 11 November 2011
It's a little book thats crammed with loads of ideas to think about. I am half way through and extremely pleased that I bought it (for the price you cannot go wrong) Bill's writing is an easy read, and highlights important areas... which in all honesty would have probably taken a few more years for me to work out on my own so for the piece I am working on now, I am going to try to implement some of the ideas in this book. Can't wait for the action writing one...!