on 29 August 2017
This is a concept album which I didn't expect with each vocal track segued with some very touching instrumentals. Glen's voice still sounds amazing and it's only lately that I appreciated what an amazing voice he had able to hit some top notes with real power. Singing with great depth of feeling and authority the songs are deceptively simple but with a real emotional charge and beautifully arranged and produced.
It wasn't until the first play through I realised that I'd been listening to something rather special. This album is a treasured addition to my collection and a fantastic legacy for Glen Campbell.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2013
I usually cringe when ageing singers decide to go on yet another tour, or even to just produce another album. Whilst maybe excellent in their day, their voices are now weak, with poor range, and so often flat. In most cases, seeing them singing live is an embarrassment. Personally, I would prefer to remember them as they were in their heyday; ie when they were at their best, at the height of their careers.
Thus I would not have expected to have purchased this album, as much as I have always liked Glen Campbell and have many of his earlier albums. However I saw the recent Glen Campbell tv documentary during which Ghost on the Canvas was featured. I subsequently listened to a bit of each number on Amazon, and I was amazed. This guy can still sing! His voice is maybe not the same as that of the young Glen Campbell, but it is still strong, in tune, and most enjoyable to listen to. Furthermore the songs on the album are superb, and especially so if one listens to the actual lyrics.
My only slight criticism is the inclusion of the strange, ultra short instrumentals. Not sure what purpose these are serving, but are easily edited out! In summary, this is an album that should not be missed.
8 people found this helpful
on 25 January 2012
I was never a huge fan of Glen Campbell. He was more for my mother's generation - I remember Witchita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy being played when I was little. But reading a music magazine which spoke about his early stage alzheimers intrigued me so I previewed the album.

Just the first 60 seconds of Ghost on the Canvas was enough for me. I ordered it and haven't really stopped playing it, or being haunted by its flowing rhythms and bittersweet lyrics. Suddenly, I have an appreciation for the man that I never did in youth.
I think I'll be visiting his back catalogue as a result. But this record just reels you in. It soothes your soul, breaks your heart, shows you joy and lifts you up on eagle's wings.

Please buy it and gain a fine appreciation for Mr Glen Campbell. He is deserving of it.
on 11 January 2012
After seeing the infamous Glen Campbell in his latest and maybe last show, I was going to buy this CD after the show. They were charging an astronimical £15 for it, so knowing I could get it cheaper on Amazon bought it here for £8.99.

I thought he sang very well on this CD but it took a couple of listens to, before I became more familiar with the tunes and there's some I like more than others.

He still has a very good voice and carries it off well and I wish him all the very best in his latest attempt to carry on despite having altzeimers disease, in the show he remembered all the words to the songs but just had a little trouble in the middle of speech! He was amazing and I wanted this CD to remind me of his show, which it has done successfully.
on 24 June 2017
Great album, even with his condition the man can sing perfectly stil,l what a voice this man has always liked his sound songs and voice and he still has it.
on 9 August 2017
A superb, contemporary album by Glen Campbell, worthy of a 5-star rating. I have not listening to it since I received it and it gets better and better each time I play it. Would thoroughly recommend.
on 12 October 2011
Ok...I don't have any of Glenn's albums apart from a Greatest hits. But I am a huge beach Boys fan so I am aware of his part in the group and have kept a eye out for his stuff over the years.

I feel I have discovered a new artist with this album. As has been said the emotion and lyrics are meaningful and pointed in some cases. but aside from that the actual music is inspiring. Some gorgeous compositions added to by Glenn,s rich and wonderful voice. A modern sounding album with some great "smile" like musical interludes. Give it a go....you will not only not regret it but will be so happy to hear such class.

A wonderful and classy album
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 February 2012
I had never bought a Glen Campbell album before but after hearing some of the tracks being played on the radio, I decided to buy this album. There are some great tracks, my favourite being "There's no me without you" which is very moving. I also love "Ghost on the Canvas", "Any Trouble" and "Its Your Amazing Grace". These are possibly the most commercial tracks. I have no doubt that the remaining tracks will grow on me after a few more plays. I liked this album so much that I also bought the Glen Campbell Greatest Hits album. Even if you don't normally like country music, I am sure you will like this. Highly recommended.
on 14 October 2011
Everything Glen has done has been superb. A few years ago I was in Phoenix when I read a news report of his charge for DUI. I felt very sad that he had reached such low times in his life. Yet, just like the city, he has risen from the ashes of despair, to claw his way back to give the world his journey through life, through some of the most wonderful songs imaginable. Glen, you are a survivor and an inspiration to those around you. Your family must be so proud of you! No wonder your forthcoming concerts in the UK have been sold out for months!
on 2 June 2017
Better than I could have imagined brilliant !!!
2 people found this helpful