Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 October 2011
I bought Ocean`s Kingdom on a whim, being an old Beatles and Macca fan with an interest in symphonies. Seeing it on sale today (release date 4.10.2011) I thought I might give it a shot. Expectations were, however, in the low range.

What a pleasant surprise was in store!

The first movement and title song is a slow one that begins in a somber style but slowly in a wavelength fashion adds more life into it. Despite being in the Adagio zone, it has all the Macca joyfulness one would expect, sometimes it is turgid and not panning out (he should have had an editor often during his solo years) but here it shines.

The Hall of Dance is, as the title indicates, starts more in the up-tempo arena. It has a Nordic and Slavic feel to it, written rather obviously with ballet dancers in mind. The middle section slows things down a bit and is probably the weakest part of the set. The finale of the movement is still very good.

The third movement, Imprisonment, is the best one. There is something haunting about this piece, slow but yet full of life. A natural flow of feelings set in a rather ambient arrangement.

Moonrise, the final movement, sets light to the set with what I would believe is descriptive or program music. There is much action going on during this set with a magnificent and joyful ending.

Despite being a traditional classical ballet score, the Macca touches are apparent. For those who appreciate classical music and are old Beatles and/or Macca fans, I recommend this set.
on 9 October 2011
As a fan of not just Macca but of the classical music genre I have found it interesting to see many of Rock's biggest names venture into this genre...Tony Banks,Billy Joel and of course Sir Paul.

I have all of Paul's classical works...Liverpool Oratorio which was not a bad first effort, Standing Stone I didn't get at all, Ecce Cor Meum which I thought was rather excellent...but none of these really touched me like Tony Banks' Seven did...until now...

This latest composition is full of lush melodies and quite addictive to be honest...well done Paul, an excellent piece of work...worth getting IMO if you can ignore the dud storyline...yes it is awful but hey the music is what it's all about...worth buying.
on 29 October 2011
Paul McCartney's greatest days as a composer were when he was an ebullient youngster and can be dated from 1960-something-to-the late seventies. I have however much appreciated his later forays into the orchestral genre, and this is no exception. I appreciate he has had help with the orchestration, on the other hand his hand is noticeable throughout the work. Just listening to the CD I was struck by the clarity of the sound, the depth of the bass, the undeniability of the strings... Paul seems rather influenced by Philip Glass and other 'repetitive' composers, so one may miss the melodic genius at times, but on the the other hand - we have already had that. As an addendum I think his greatest work was Abbey Road, his solo albums McCartney and Ram, one of the most exceptional albums of pop music!
on 2 November 2011
This is Macca's best classical work yet! I wonder if this has anything to do with that it is all music, no lyrics to worry about. Paul has to take his listeners on a journey which can be "seen" (in a presentation of an orchestra and a troupe of ballet dancers) or "heard" (listening to the music on CD, at home, spread over a couch with a glass of, well whatever one wishes). I write about this music not having seen the ballet and as such I have to imagine the movements of the dancers that it was written to accompany. Right from the start, I was hooked as the music took me in and played with my imagination for about an hour. I was sometimes relaxed, sometimes challenged by the music, but ultimately I was taken to a lovely restful place where I just delighted to be. It is really beautiful music. Because Paul McCartney cannot read or write music, some wonder as to how much of his classical pieces have been his work or the work of arrangers etc. I couldn't care less! This piece is a gem. Make your own journey to wherever, as you join Macca as a ballet composer. It's worth the ticket!
on 3 May 2012
Probably not for luddites of classical music, but I like it. Nice and easy on the ears and some nice melodies and I speak as someone who has a reasonable wide music appreciation, including the established classics.
on 18 June 2012
Love The Beatles band music, pragmatic composer, arrager and executive producer still using mastering at London studios. Ispired with Tchaikovsky it remains me of the Bolshoi theatre ballet as well as the operas of Tchaikovsky and Paisiello 'La Molinara'. McCartney said: 'Most of his music has been written with dance in mind ...'.
Like McCartney classical work and I do recomend!

Vladimir Dobrinic
on 22 March 2014
I was too scared to listen to Mr McCartneys' music with 'Wings' ,or his solo efforts, in case I developed diabetes from being exposed to all the syrupy sentiments in his lyrics. It seems that if Paul McCartney keeps his gob shut and pens music for interpretation by the likes of The London Classical Orchestra (in the case of this superb album) and by 'La Flute Enchantee Quartet' on the album 'Sir Paul McCartneys Liverpool' he can get a big nod of approval by this aging old rocker at last. I do not know much about classical music except that some snobbier people don't like it being called that, but I do have a collection of classical music even though I lean more towards musical exponents like Howlin' Wolf, Tom Waits & good old Captain Beefheart. I can appreciate what I like when I hear it and Mr McCartney is right on the money here. You can be a rocker and like classical stuff too. they are both musical formats that affect the same part of the brain ( or what's left of it in my case ). I like this album and, as I stated earlier, Sir Macca can create something more palatable when he keeps his gob shut.

Eamonn
on 25 August 2012
paul always amazes me. for a person who is non-classically trained
he continuely does a encredable job every time he puts his mind to it.

i've been a fan of his since beatle days. but when he took on the classical world
i though, like many others, that he has lost the plot.

but as usual i was wronge. this album is no different. i would recommend this album
to any cassical fan.

ted turner
on 27 October 2012
Again a surprisingly good composition from someone who is more and best known as a band member from The Beatles. A combination between (serious) classical music and somewhat like an original soundtrack. It contains various types of spheres so I think it's like a musical journey.
on 25 October 2014
This man never ceases to amaze me, brilliant work once again.