Customer reviews

The Year of Hibernation
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 July 2017
on 28 April 2017
The Sound Quality of this vinyl is below average.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 November 2011
Another cd, another idiosyncratic voice. Trevor Powers sings in a soft, plaintive, fragile way that people are going to love or hate. Personally, I love it. It's laden with so much echo it sounds as though he's singing from the bottom of a well. A nice well. It gives all ten of these gentle songs an intimacy that is quite spellbinding.

Tracks like July and Montana start quietly, as soft as a solo in a church, but then build as layers of keyboards gradually build. Afternoon is more chuggy from the outset. Daydream is as dreamy and pretty as you'd hope from the title.

My favourite at the moment is 17, with one of those wonderful lyrics that evokes in me a nostalgia for something that wasn't even a part of my past! It's yearning, but not mawkish. Can't stop singing the chorus line; 'When I was 17, my mother said to me, "Don't stop imagining, the day that you do is the day that you die..."' And miraculously, the way he sings prevents it from sounding trite.

Comparisons? Not sure, but I reckon if you like Avi Buffalo, the Antlers or Sparklehorse, you'll like this. The vocal and strength of the tune on some of the songs is like old Neil Young. Also the quieter songs of Say Hi... Hmmmm. Youth Lagoon sound like Youth Lagoon. And Year of Hibernation is a beautiful album with superb hooks, wistful lyrics and that somehow manages to be reflective and upbeat at the same time. I love it.
22 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 February 2016
I have had to return to vinyl copies of this back to Amazon as one copy warped and other something wrong with pressing quality on side one .... Amazon as always very good with return
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 November 2011
Half-a-dozen bars into 'Posters', the opening track on Youth Lagoon's
debut 'Year Of Hibernation' and I heard myself muttering "Oh Crikey!".
Yet another barely-there blip on the shimmering 'chillwave' horizon? Could
I take it? Did I really want to try? Then despite myself something curious
began to happen. I found that I was, truly was, beginning to like the album!
This can have very little to do with Trevor Powers' wet and very weedy voice
(Youth Lagoon would appear to be his working alias) which really should
have had me running for the hills with my tail between my legs, so its must
be something about the stature of the songs, of which there are ten in this
collection, which held my attention. Truth-be-told once one has adapted to
Mr Powers' distinctive vocal ministrations the album is curiously enjoyable.

The naive melodies and simple harmonies have a folksy summer-of-love charm
(Mr Powers was born in San Diego but his heart clearly belongs to San Francisco!)
which appeals no-end to the dormant hippie in my soul and I still need to believe
that there is more than enough room in the world for a little metaphysical warmth.

Of the fare on offer I was particularly taken with '17', a song with its roots
reaching deep into traditional American soil (the spirit of Don McClean seems
but a short country mile away!) The almost jolly-japes of 'Daydream' delivers
a somnolent feel-good ambience helped along by its close-to-cheesy incidental
melodic material. 'Montana' is a big song dressed up in small clothes; a tiny but
powerful anthem echoing through towering mountain peaks and frozen winter forests.
The whispered hymn-like vocal eddies of 'July' hang in the air like butterflies
and final track 'Lost To Me' sounds like it's being sung by a lonely elf with an
indefatigable need to make us believe that magic might still be a possibility
in a world grown weary and not a little mad. It is a truly delightful conclusion.

A small voice in the void. I profess myself converted to Mr Powers' elusive charms.

Recommended to all sons and daughters of the Summer Solstice and their friends.
on 13 November 2013
Every track on this album is fantastic. Put it on, lie back and prepare to get wrapped in a warm fuzzy blanket of electronic beats, haunting reverb-drenched vocals and hypnotic melodies. However many times I listen it stays beautiful and fresh. I discovered this from the film Kings of Summer which uses the track "17", but I don't think that's even my favourite track. Montana, if anyone's interested.
on 9 March 2012
A record with a haunting yet lovely vibe. Imagine listening to a favourite, intimate, live gig only just outside the venue whilst catching a breather or having a moment Wonderful.
on 1 May 2014
very happy! all perfect as usual! recommended!

Hope to have money to buy some more vinyl!

Amazing album and amazing songs!
on 9 June 2013
great, thank you. I had listened to some of the tracks on Spotify before buying it and it's very good :)
on 19 September 2013
The world is a richer place for this album, it is the Best dreamy collection of songs you will hear!