on 11 December 2017
I got the fourth edition so cannot comment of the 5th but this is by afr the best source i have used to learn php mysql. Larry Ulman explains things clearly and straight to the point. The order that it is laid out is progressive which is very nice too. Much have for a beginner or pro. My university ordered a 6 pack batch after I showed my lecturers the book to update their reading lists. That must say somthing
on 6 April 2018
Mixed feelings about it. The layout is difficult to read as two columns on a standard width page with wide margins is just awful for code. The book has started to fall apart midway through the reading. Various typos here and there. Some of the things he says are not up to date.
On the bright side, it's probably the only book for beginners with good insights from an experienced programmer.
on 31 January 2012
Can I start by saying that i have a great deal of respect for Larry Ullman. This title along with PHP for the World Web (For beginners) are excellent titles for learning PHP & MySQL.

My only criticism is that he could have spent more time updating the examples. The main eCommerce example is one for a gallery, which has not changed as far as I can see for the last three editions. I just think its a bit lazy adding a few chapters and putting a smart new cover and selling it as completely revised and updated.

Still the best guide out there, but please spent more time on the updates.

Peter Jones
10 people found this helpful
on 23 October 2015
The contents are okay but good as quick reference book but it came printed in black and white and cheap paper. Since I purchased the set of three books in the series: (1) PHP for web a quickstart guide, (2) HTML5 and CSS3: visual quickstart guide (3) PHP and MySQL for dynamic websites, only (2) is printed on a good quality paper and coloured , (1) and (3) are printed in black and white or grayscale and low quality paper but the contents are good and especially recommended for a beginner as a reference.
One person found this helpful
on 13 May 2013
I have so far managed to get about halfway through this book, following the items and even entering quite a lot of them onto my computer to test them. The style is great, and easy to follow, though I have not quite grasped the description of joins as described, though I have been designing other databases with joins in them since 1978.
I would recommend this book to anyone wishing to get to grips with MySQL in conjunction with PHP. Be prepared for a lengthy study, as it has lots of pages crammed with useful information, though like other books, it has little on views or the latest versions of either of the two concepts. Should be an update in the near future.
on 5 April 2005
I can't speak highly enough of this book, I have used it as my bible since picking up a bit of php a few months back. I initially borrowed a friends copy having found it more useful that the SAMs Teach Yourself PHP and Mysql in 24 hours that I had already bought. The SAMS book probably explains some of the constructs of using the language a little better, at the start, loops flow control etc, but after that this book just leaps ahead. I continually refer back to it (so much so I had to buy my own!), and its helped me understand and solve lots of problems I have found along the way. Its helped me a great deal to be able to pick apart some of the automated server behaviours in Dreamweaver and to be able to work with them so I can use their facilities but customised for my own needs . I have written three or four scripts which do combinations of stuff in the book and my confidence has gained to the point I actually enjoy the challenge now!.
20 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2016
I give this only three stars because the e-book version fails to present the coding blocks correctly in my kindle, on my iPad. This is odd, it presents OK on my desktop, so this is probably a problem between Amazon's Kindle and Apple's iPad. The kerning, especially of hyphens, seems to be all out of kimber. Otherwise, this is a very useful source and the fact that the code is all available for download is a good mitigating factor. And the e-book is not at all expensive. A useful buy.
One person found this helpful
on 10 December 2012
I read this book in conjunction with 'Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache All in One' and it proved useful providing insight into some other features of php beyond that described in the other book.

Being new to php I especially liked the section on sending javascript (along with html) up to the browser from php.

I also have a copy of the 'php bible' but books in the bible series assume that you have a basic grounding in the subject which necessitates reading through a couple of primer books like this one first.

I have a preference for postgresql over mysql but there is little documentation around that addresses that sort of combination however making a connection with a postgresql db using php is almost the same as with a mysql db as described in the book.

You can use the net to get php/postgresql examples.
on 18 October 2009
This book has now been superseded by a later version, I think.

Absolutely superb book. I tried wading through several others before finding this one. Peachpit Press also publish the excellent 'HTML for the World Wide Web' by Elizabeth Castro (though Peachpit's book on Javascript was a big let-down.)

I've read this book several times, a few pages every now and again, as that's the only way I can absorb the overall concepts. It's easy to read a page or two at a time as practically every page has very clear explanations of new code plus a 'living, breathing' script alongside it, with the sample code bolded within the script.
on 21 December 2015
I bought this book after abandoning Visual Studio and Asp.net. This is not a book for a beginner. I am steeped in code of various types, but is only after finding out how to do PHP from other books and by personal experiment that I have started to find this book useful.