on 6 December 2012
I've had this headset for about a month now. It has been an absolutely great buy! It's almost a one-of-a-kind ones.
The main features are:
*Bluetooth
*Microphone
*Detachable audio cable
*Various controls (as described in product description)

It does not compromise on the very chic design or audio quality to provide these features.
It's not very big like the other on-ear ones. It's quite average really. Fits neatly onto my 3-year-old son's head. When it's expanded, its flexibility helps to fit onto any - big or small head.

However, it did take a bit of frustration and time to understand the reason why it wouldn't connect to my laptop via bluetooth. It was because Windows 7 isn't compatible with the A2DP profile. I think it was a site by HP that provided a solution to it (don't quite remember). Although, I did manage to connect it in the end. But it is definitely NOT a fault in the headset!

Worth every penny!
on 6 February 2014
Received this item in good time and I was able to set up the wireless option easily after charging up the headphones which did not take very long. The sound quality provided is very good. The look and feel of the product provides one with confidence in its overall durability. All the in built controls including the volume adjustment are positioned on the right earpiece. Being left handed this can seem a bit fiddly. Item would have scored a 4 if it had provided a proper on/off switch rather than the in built option given which seems a little slow to respond.
on 18 July 2014
Ok but not the best
on 27 January 2013
These headphones weren't bought from Amazon, and were a bit of an impulse buy on the way through an airport a couple of months ago. I'd forgotten my B&W P5's on a trip, and wanted some relatively cheap 'n' cheerful headphones to use with my iPhone. I thought that I'd give these a try, especially with them being Bluetooth compatible, so that I could listen to my tunes wirelessly. I must admit though, that I wasn't expecting too much in comparison to my P5's, at four times the price.

But something strange happened. I started using them on my trip, and was really blown-away with how good they sounded. At first I thought that my mind must be playing tricks on me. Surely these couldn't be as good as my P5's? I put these considerations to the back of my mind for the time being, and just enjoyed using them. The sound they produce via the Bluetooth connection is simply glorious. The treble is open and transparent, and whilst the bass may not be particularly deep (so maybe no good for Dr. Dre fans!?), to my ears the bass is tuneful and proportionate using a wide range of music from classical to rock/pop.

And oh, what a joy to be without wires! After using a wireless headset, you realise just what a PIA that little wire between your head and your phone/MP3 is! I felt liberated whilst listening to these headphones, free from tangle and weight, and felt I could move with the music completely unhindered. These headphones also double as a Bluetooth headset that I could use with my iPhone, so they are both music headphones and telephone headset in one, and switching between the two is seamless. The microphone for the telephone is extremely discretely built into the headphone housing. Philips also include a regular 3.5mm jack cord, so you can choose to use them in wired configuration rather than by Bluetooth only if you wish.

When I returned back home I did an interesting comparison with my P5's. And remember that these two sets of cans are both about the same size, both 'on ear' designs. I compared the wired P5's (no Bluetooth functionality anyway) to the SHB9100's operating via Bluetooth. What I discovered was startling. Did the P5's sound better? Yes, of course. And so they should, at four times the price. But we're they four times better than the SHB9100's? Far from it, IMHO.

My initial impression about these headphones was correct. They are a wonderful set of headphones, and a proverbial 'steal' at the price they sell for. I really do not have any criticisms at all, given the sound quality and price they sell for, and I would be happy to dispense with my P5's in favour of these, given the sound quality they provide and the ultimate convenience of wireless Bluetooth transmission they offer. Bye-bye P5's!

Some reviewers have expressed reservations concerning build quality, and the lack of a carry-bag. Yes, thee is no carry case, and the ear-pads are covered with synthetic leather, rather than real leather. And the construction, although very strong, is a little plasticky. But these are £70 headphones, not £200 headphones, and IMHO the money has been spent on getting the crucial things right, like sound quality, rather than in aesthetic extras.

I couldn't recommend these headphones more highly.
on 21 April 2012
I was looking for a decent set of headphones to use with an iPhone and PS Vita.

Considered several in the £50 to £130 price range :
Creative WP-350
JABRA HALO2 Wireless Headphones
Sennheiser PX 210 BT

I plan to use these for music at home mostly, so wasn't too interested in noise cancelling and as the neither the iPhone or Vita support apt-X I couldn't see the point to paying extra (the Sennheiser's) to get headphones that have apt-X

So I ended up with the Philips :

Light, but well made.
Clean simple design.
Great sound quality (You'd be hard pressed to tell they weren't wired).
Pads rest on the ears, rather than enclose the ears, so no sweaty ears.
Pair up with multiple device (not simultaneously, but you don't have to keep repairing when you swap devices)
Great battery life (I charged them on day one, and they still haven't gone flat yet after at least 10 hours use.)
I would have like some kind of storage case to be included.

In summary : Simple, but modern design headphones giving fantastic sound quality and great battery life. I'd buy another pair tomorrow if I broke the ones I have.
77 Comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Colour: black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These headphones look and sound super; the black and white styling and encased foam cushion make them look really good; they're comfortable to wear, and easy to use.

Rather than being solely bluetooth operated, these headphones can also be attached to your hardware via the traditional cable, which unusually is connected via the right headphone rather than the left like most.

On lossless sound files there is a slight compression noticeable when using Bluetooth, but to my ears this is less apparent than on the equivalent Sennheiser model. The controls are easy to use, and the quoted battery run-time of nine hours is achieved if you don't have the volume on top whack.

It's when you use the headphones in conjunction with a portable headphone amp like the FiiO E7 Portable Headphone DAC Amplifier that they really come into their own - the sound blossoms out, and there's a nice soundstage present. After extended use, these headphones sound great.

Calls made with the headphones are very clear - the mic works well and doesn't pick up much background noise at all.

I've got no complaints or niggles at all to add. Most unlike me!
on 28 January 2014
So I've had these for a month and got them at a steal at £45. The connectivity is great. I can use it with my phone, computer, tablet and playstation all with easy and quick pairing. The sound is really quite surprising and I wouldn't have thought the Bluetooth would have made for such good quality sound delivery. The headphones are well balance with a slight edge towards bass sounds. That said their really optimised to play music how the artist intended it to sound, so if you want rediculus bass go buy some Beats. I've listened to hours of podcasts on these and your can hear clearly during rush hour tube traffic or traveling in a car.

Generally I use them for about 1-2 hours a day and they only need charging once a week which is great. Plus they use and mini USB charger so I can use my blackberry charger at work. They also come with a jack to jack to you can wire up and use them in 'airplane' mode the old school way.

The only downfall I've found is the mic. When taking calls on my iPhone people have said I sound like I'm in a tunnel and I really have to talk up. They come through sounding great though. I have heard that this could be a Apple comparability flaw though.

To round up I would say these are quality made headphones that are extremely well worth their price. If your looking for better you need to be prepared to fork out a couple of hundred.
on 9 September 2012
I got this when they dropped to £58, i haven't owned a pair of Philips headphones before, only Sony, thus i was taking a chance on this.

After using them every day for a whole week, i can safely say they are one of my best buys.

Not are the only one of the most comfortable (on the ear) headphones i've ever wore, the sound quality is superb over both bluetooth and wired and the battery life does indeed last 9 to 10 hours.

I use bluetooth mostly because i want absolute freedom around my house and the range on these is amazing, definitely at least 15 meters.

I pair these to my PC downstairs in my living room and play music via Winamp with Team Speak 3 on in the background in case one of my online buddies wishes to speak to me; then i walk through around my house / garden doing my chores, so whether i'm n the garden weeding, brushing my teeth in the bathroom or emptying the dishwasher in the kitchen, i've always got non stop music on the go to keep me entertained!

When the battery dies (indicated by a lot of beeping), i simply return them to charge for an hour and a half, if i wish to use them in that time, i plug in the cable.

The cable is a little on the short side but a 3'5 cable extension is a quick and cheap solution to extend it.

Another nice feature of these head phones is if paired and set as default device, they automatically connect to the bluetooth source once switched on.

Overall, i am very happy with these headphones.

The only downside i can find on these is the fact they sound bleed, there is no privacy with these, so if you are listening to music that you may feel would embarrass you if others heard it, these are not for you.

Just a few tips:

My bluetooth adapter is a recent purchase from Amazon also, a Hama Class 1 Version 3.0 Nano Bluetooth USB Adapter with EDR.

Not only is it more up to date than the common v2.1 bluetooth adapters, it is also a more powerful one promising a range of up to 100m instead of the usual 10m offered by class 2.

I haven't tried these headphones with a class 2 adapter so i couldn't commend whether or not the range is worse os if you're serious about moving over to bluetooth wireless listening around your house (from a PC), i'd get the above mentioned adapter.

Another thing i've noticed is that these headphones should be set at 93% volume, any higher causes a high pitched background noise.

I hope you enjoyed my review, if you wish to see a video review of these, it can be found on youtube (i used it as a deciding factor before i purchased myself) :)
44 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2012
Tired of having to untangle my iPhone earphones every time I take them out of my bag, I decided to try going wireless with a pair of Bluetooth headphones. I initially bought the Creative WP350 but found them a very strange size - they are "on-ear" headphones but are not large enough to cover your ears fully (and I think I have average-sized ears) and so feel like they are constantly going to come off. After sending them back, I've struck gold with the Philips SHB9100/00.

Initially, I was looking for a small-ish pair of headphones, or at least one that folds up neatly to better fit in my work bag. The Philips doesn't do that (though the phones do rotate sideways which makes it a lot easier to slip inside a bag) and while the photos make the headphones look quite big, I'd describe them as medium-sized - bigger than the Creative WP350 "on-ear" style but smaller than the full-sized over-ear cups you see on some really heavy duty headphones. For me, it's perfect - I don't have the feeling that they're falling off or not big enough as I did with the WP350s (and indeed far less sound leakage as a result) but they aren't too big - the cups are cushioned and feel very comfortable.

In terms of sound quality, a lot has been said about this already below. I'm no audiophile, but even I can recognise the difference between my iPhone earbuds and these - the sound quality is very impressive, especially for something which is connecting via Bluetooth and is powered by a battery.

The Bluetooth connectivity has so far been brilliant - very easy to pair with my iPhone 4S and hasn't lost connection yet.

All in all, an excellent purchase - these headphones have great sound quality, feel very comfortable and look expensive and stylish, and provide exactly the sort of wire-free commute I was looking for.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 August 2012
Colour: black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are smashing wireless headphones, they have good sound clarity and good bass, not over-powering. They are solid build and very comfortable, something I expect from Philips brand.

You can tell they have spent time and thought on the design and the controls for wireless use is great. You can use this wired as well, so that is an added bonus. But, I prefer these babies wireless.

You have the control funstion on the right headphone and simple touch can pause etc. It is responsive and good. I like the comfort of these phones, and it is pleasing to use on the London underground.
This is where they come in handy on the underground, where I can sit back and listen to music peacefully, until I reach work, lol.

But, it is very good and functional in noise cancelling, I couldn't hear a sound, while i was on the tube, not even the station announcer. The bluetoth on my android phone was clear and I had no hissing or cackling. I guess it all depends on the bluetooth connection, but my phone and my wifes seem clear as I would expect.
Nice Bluetooth headphones and a good price. Definetly 5 star as it ticks all the right boxes.