Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 October 2011
Following David Ryan Adams has been like following an inconsistent football team. When he is good he is brilliant, but equally some experiments have been frustratingly off the mark. I personally have followed his career and albums since 'Heartbreaker' and have seen him live on many occasions (he always delivers live). So this arrives with some hope across the message boards that this is a return to form. After three full listens I support this view - 'Dirty Rain', 'Invisible Riverside' and 'Lucky now' the first to stand out. I suspect that (as mentioned in other reviews) several listens will reveal other favourites as Adams work improves with listening. Hopefully he won't go sulky and blow it - this isn't his 'Harvest' or 'After the Goldrush' - I suspect his best work is still to come. A return to form and one to watch.
on 13 October 2011
Reviewing Ryan Adams is difficult as his output has been prolific so there is alot to compare it to. Also when you consider his peers there is little else that comes close to his lyrics and ear for melody.

Ashes and Fire is up there with Gold, Love is Hell and 29. With this Album there are no filler tracks just solid songwriting accross the board. Whether this is due to working with a new producer or not, it just seems more focussed throughout.

The production of the album is excellent as is the sound quality.

I wouldn't call this a return to form because every album Ryan has recorded is splashed with brilliance somewhere, this one is just consistently good, so buy with confidence. Its about time he had a global smash and I hope this is the record to do it.
on 17 October 2016
Great Product and Great service
on 9 January 2017
A good album that grows on you.
on 17 November 2011
Ryan Adams has made lots of albums,but this is one of his best. This is very easy to listen to, great album
on 15 October 2011
This is a really strong album. I really need to listen to it through headphones to really appreciate it, but it seems flawless. Many have used the word "mature". I think Ryan is here to stay.

Is it his classic. I still favour "Heartbreaker" and really rate "Cold Roses", but it is hard to fault his son writing and performance here. Give it a bit more time and I think this will join the ranks of his classics.
on 18 July 2015
a super album
on 4 August 2014
as discribed
on 17 September 2012
This is the first cd I have of Ryan Adams, and think it is really laid back music, just what I was looking for. It sounds very much like David Gates Songbook...but overall an excellent cd. I have read the other reviews, so not sure if Ryan Adams is in sync with this music...or it is just a one off.
on 10 February 2012
Ryan Adams makes too much albums, I can't keep up. And they're not all very good. Well: 'Heartbreaker', 'Gold' and 'Love is Hell' are (and maybe one or two more). But when someone has a high productivity of mediocre albums then I kinda stop following that artist.

But then I heard 'Lucky Now' and thought: wow, that's a beautiful song, that's 'classic' Ryan Adams. So I listened to the album 'Ashes & Fire' and instantly fell in love. It's relatively quiet peaceful album but there's a lot going on in the songs. It has a constant feel: a constant flow of very tasteful and beautiful songs. And when it's over you want to play it again. So I bought it and am very pleased with my purchase since.