Customer reviews

Essential
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 November 2015
I love 80’s music but I have to be honest and say that like another reviewer my memories of Talk Talk were a bit vague. They were in fact an English new wave group, active from 1981 until their breakup in 1992.

They had a string of hit singles. But they moved away from synthpop towards more experimental music in the mid 1980’s. They had internationally success but their commercial appeal receded as their critical reputation increased.

The group had mixed success in the UK and they abandoned the synthpop style completely with their third album, ‘The Colour of Spring’, released in 1986. This became their biggest studio album success in the UK, making the Top 10 with my personal favourite song of theirs ‘Life’s What You Make It’ which was also successful internationally.

As others have said, I can't imagine myself delving into their back catalogue but I am really pleased that I bought this compilation The band encompasses a unique sound from the 1980's era and their songs are certainly varied, but for me personally it’s a bit of a mixed bag of mostly hits with a few misses.
on 25 May 2014
My memories of Talk Talk were a bit vague. I thought the 1st single was okay, loved 'Today' and then lost interest. Over a period of time something like 'It's My Life' would catch my ear on the radio and I began to wonder. I can't imagine myself delving into the back catalogue but am really pleased with this compilation and not just for the 1st 2 singles either. It's a firm favourite in the car and vastly superior to some of the other electro/synth inspired bands of that era.
on 24 March 2013
As a fan, I will no doubt be biased towards this album. Anyway, great compilation which is currently doing the rounds in my car for my trips away. I rather hoped one of my favourites, 'The party's over' would be on this album but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. You will not be disappointed in this purchase.
on 23 March 2013
Great album for the price. All the popular ones are in there but it just needs a couple of other tracks to bring it up to speed. If you already have the Essential then you have this mostly!
on 30 September 2014
I saw Talk Talk at University in 1983 and they were great live and sound just as good now as they did back then.

One of the best New Wave groups from the early 80's, they are one of the few groups from that era that hasn't dated badly, along with Tears For Fears who are also great.

Highly Recommended although their studio albums are also worth investigating as well!
on 23 January 2014
Aptly named as this is essential to any seriously thinking music fan. TalkTalk have had a quietly successful career at the top and this album reflects that and their music never ages. Still fab
on 17 January 2016
Talk talk may have passed you by but this collection is simply excellent. Haunting vocals on the longer songs. Excellent 'pop' synth and then switch to traditional guitar tracks. Edgier sound than traditional 80's artists. Like every song. Love many. Some of the longer tracks are less obviously brilliant but persevere and rewards are there. i have 100's of albums and this is consistently excellent. Some of the essential series can be variable at best. This has all their key tracks and then some. Only a couple of relatively minor gaps such as Renee, but then it is the essential collection.
on 31 October 2014
Great reminder of what we are missing these days ... their music lives on! Excellent CD which has been on non-stop in my car!
on 1 September 2013
Good selection of some of the best of Talk Talk. Pity that "It's You" and "It's So Serious" were omitted.
on 8 November 2014
Had some of there stuff years ago. Had the chance to add to my collection and was not disappointed.