on 10 December 2000
I know this album because my parents played it when I was little, so I've always known it. It has stood up to the ultimate test - and has withstood a lot of listening. The best tracks are (for me) Jigsaw Puzzle of life, Go Leave, and of course Heart Like Wheel. I actually think I think I could listen to those songs on repeat pretty much all day. I imagine that for many people this style may take a bit of getting used to, compared with so much of what is termed 'popular' these days, but once you are familiar with it, you will be humming along all day.
33 people found this helpful
on 13 August 2016
Some years ago I was driving from The Wirral to London listening to Jonathan Ross's Saturday morning radio show. Jonathan's guest was Rufus Wainwright. Expecting the answer 'my father', Jonathan asked Rufus, who is your major musical influence? My mother, replied Rufus without hesitation. Your mother?! questioned Jonathan. At that point I started shouting at the radio. Now I was a great fan of Ross's Saturday morning show, but... how could they not have known that the their guest's mother was the brilliant and incomparable Kate McGarrigle?
Sadly, Kate is no longer with us. This is a great album. Kate's spirit survives on Youtube where most of these songs are covered by Anna joined by Rufus, Martha and others. Terrific, but for me, these wonderful songs as sung by Kate and Anna have never been bettered, even by the brilliant 'kids'.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2017
I had this CD for years, and loved it - such wonderful songs, voices+ harmonies, instrumentals. I went to play it a few weeks ago, and it wasn't in it's sleeve!
Don't know where it is, but had to get another, and have played it loads ever since. Something magical about it.
One person found this helpful
on 19 March 2010
In case there are any other prospective purchasers of this CD I would say the following -

This is wonderful music, lovely stuff & utterly beguiling.
I like it even more now that when I first bought the LP in 1976.
A classic, even when that term is so overused & devalued.
But.....the Rhino version is awful - when I first played it I thought that something was wrong with my music system.

By all means buy this - you will never get more pleasure from an album than with this one.
But - make sure you avoid the Rhino pressing.

Note to Warner Bros. - this album is still loved & still selling 34 years after it's release.
So.....what about a 2010 remaster of the 1994 CD please ????
You have one customer already - do the great job you could do with the remaster, & this will have a whole new army of fans who will keep buying this for many years to come.
5 people found this helpful
on 16 September 2010
There's something winsome and touching about the McGarrigle sisters, long time folk circuit favourites. I first felt their magic impromptu, walking past the imposing front steps of the Brussels opera house and hearing these two enthusiastic, charming singers pour their music into the passsing shopping crowds. Almost perfect. A taster for the Brussels folk festival, it seems.

This, their first album, has a strong selection of songs and is a good introduction into what has become a considerable body of music (and a family dynasty. Worth a listen, if you like folk and can deal with emotion. Unlike another reviewer, the copy I received has no sound quality issues.
One person found this helpful
on 30 July 2016
I find the McGarrigle sisters' music almost unbearably poignant. Their harmony singing is delicate and beautiful and there songs, some in French are filled with yearning and sometimes bitter sweet sadness. They were unique in the folk/ country music world. This is an early album, but their distinctive musical style is aleady fully formed.
on 6 December 2017
Birthday gift, looks good. Delivery efficient
on 5 April 2018
An oldie but goodie..:)
on 31 January 2013
The McGarrigle sisters were an iconic folk duo whose harmonies were second to none. Some tracks on this album are true classics and their influence on contemporary music, particularly with respect to Martha and Rufus Wainwright cannot be understated.
on 3 April 2015
An absolute classic from the 70s. Great harmonies and terrific songwriting. This has been one of my favourites since it wa album of the year in 1978.