Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.00

on 10 March 2015
I really enjoyed this account of the author's choice of a second home in the Dordogne which came to be so much more than that. I won't give the details away but I appreciated the author's honesty about his difficulties though I'm not sure I would do the same. It was interesting to read about the way he integrated in his community because he embraced parts of rural French life that many expats don't.
on 22 August 2015
Loved reading about the house and the area but felt there was too much heart rending about the marriage breakdown. After waxing so lyrically about the house, region and friends I was surprised by the authors hurried exit - until I read the next book.
on 24 June 2015
I read this book whilst on holiday in the Dordogne. Whilst it was interesting to read about some of the places we had visited, I felt that the author spent too long moaning about how bad his life had become. There are plenty of better books about middle class British folk moving to France !
on 23 May 2013
I bought this book as I love reading about people who buy houses in France and sharing their experience's. The book was OK and the author had written an additional piece in 2013 to extend the story which I think added to the book. I would have felt cheated if he had finished it where he left off before 2013.
on 22 April 2014
Some of these books are basically diaries in book form but this was well written and honest. Perhaps too honest in parts, particularly about his relationship with his wife who I increasingly had sympathy for! There were a few interesting bits that kept me reading to the end but also a lot of mundane stuff like what he ate and what he drank. Anyway, worth a read.
on 11 October 2013
What a moving and entertaining book. Really interesting , looking and finding that perfect home in the sun but the breakup of the marriage causing so much pain. I hope the author found happiness again.
on 6 January 2013
This book is lovely. A bit of a dull word and wishy washy, but it sums it up well. I enjoyed the descriptive writing and the quirks of the area. Full of useful facts as well as a nice story.
on 4 January 2012
Well this was my first Kindle book and couldnt stop reading it! An idyllic view of southern France but keep reading for the rollercoaster of events, nice informative writing style, thanks
on 26 February 2014
I do not like to stop reading a book once I have started - I just wish I had not started this one. Do the publishers not employ proof readers? The book is full of errors in grammar, spelling and syntax. I feel that he should have decided what he wanted to write about - moving to France or regretting his personal circumstances. . The book ends up with him wallowing in self pity and sadness -totally regrettable but it doesn't take the theme of life in rural France very much further forward. There are many, many better books of this genre - you'll find them easily enough.
on 14 November 2012
Thought it was going somewhere, but it turned out to be a way of getting at his wife. He must have been so taken up with the cottage, he didn't notice something was going wrong with his marriage. Felt rather disappointed at the end.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse