on 9 May 2012
Had this tablet for a couple of months and it was my first. Therefore as a novice i was really impressed with android and all that was available through it. In fact within a couple of weeks I bought another for my daughter. What appealed primarily was the 3g capability and this works well inserting a vodafone espana data sim. As it's OS is designed for mobile phones, it uses the sometimes limited bandwidth of 3g, much more efficiently and speedier than a windows computer. So on my limited 3g wifi setup, i was getting very acceptable internet browsing on this tablet, whilst desktops and laptops really struggled.

Screen is fine and responsive as it is capacitive, apps work fine, surfing is fast and good. So overall I like this tablet, attractive, nice shape, easy to hold and light. The processor, although old, a Qualcomm 800mhz performs well (angry birds works well). The battery is outstanding, I reckon about 9 hours. It has a screen side camera for video, picture taking for posting on social sites, note it's pretty basic. Sound is pretty good from its stereo speakers. Check all spec on arnova.com not archos, as they have kept brands separate. Has expandable mini sd slot for expanding memory, internal memory negligible 356mb. Uses android 2.3.

However as you get used to android, you realise the tablet's short comings. Primarily no flash (however HTML 5 is starting to be very popular), no google play (has own appslib market, which is acceptable but limited), limited ivideoi , audio codecs and no skype video calling (voice calls work fine). Spending a little more and you can get a lot more flexibility but you have to compromise on not having 3g access. Note it cannot be used as a telephone, although skype can resolve this in most cases.

Overall this tablet, if found for the right price is good but you should be aware of it's limitations. One has to assume that it will be more reliable than it's Chinese counterparts, despite Archos having a pretty bad reputation for customer service. I have had 3 605s, 2 405s and they are all still working after 4 years, note some I've given away now. NOTE: you cannot get google play as the Arctablet tool is not compatible with this model. However rooted modifications can be done via Arctablet.com, see their forum.

I have subsequently sold one of the arnovas and got an HTC Flyer. Review on that to follow, but wow, it is impressive.

UPDATE:22 OCT 2012 Looks like HD has packed up, sent to Arnova in France for repair, will update if they do it and re - review. HTC Flyer is orgasmic.........for the moment.

UPDATE:Received replacement, turn around about 7 working days.Very impressed with communication and delivery, cannot complain and certainly find it reassuring in view of Archos reputation.

I have found a way of obtaining nearly all of apps available through g play without rooting etc. If you don't have a g play complaint tab, try 1mobile market apk. It is awesome and completely changes how this tab works. Really pleased and despite processor speed the ARNOVA, at the moment compares favourably with the Flyer I have.
on 17 April 2012
Great tablet, however you have to go through arctools to obtain google play (android market) which I found annoying as you would think it would be installed,
the screen is smooth with multi touch responds well, when holding the tablet I found you can accidently touch the back button, I put it in a tablet holder this solved the problem, the WIFI connects very quickly, all in all a good product, well made (I dropped mine in the street) just a scratch.
on 19 July 2013
I really like this tablet it is fun and simple to use. Although it is not tailored for googleplay I have been more than satisfied with the appslib facility as well as finding quite a number of useful and amusing apps through the amazon appstore which have been compatible. it is multi-functional being able to access my emails use it as an e-reader and as a word processor with the office app. I purchased one for each of my family and they are equally happy with its capabilities. The price was good and as far as that goes it serves us all well.
on 15 August 2013
It's O.K., but not wonderful, but then wasn't the most expensive. Instructions are fairly useless, so it's very much trial and error.

The image should turn through 90 degrees when the tablet is turned, but this has already failed and the machine is on its way back to the supplier for replacement, less than 3 weeks into use!
on 20 April 2014
very pleased with my purchase..it was also better condition than stated..it does everthing i want it to do,,thanks guyz..many thanks
on 17 April 2012
After 5 days of very regular and normal use, the product got stoned. It ran out of charge, and after I charged it again, it would not boot up. It froze in the boot-up screen, with the android logo, and that was it. Manual reset didn't work either. However, AVIDES was very prompt in handling the return product. They sent me a return label with DHL, and got my refund within 2 days after it was returned.

See one answered question