on 21 September 2015
What it is that attracts high class actors to turgid rubbish like this I will never know. It can only be for financial gain as their souls are totally sold for this one. Horrid Henry represents everything that is wrong with the British Film Industry.

Firstly it is an adaptation of a book that wasn't very good in the first place. Well actually that's a little unfair, it works as a book but not as a film. Much like the disaster that was Postman Pat all the fun and heart has been sucked out. This modern day Dennis The Menace is simply no fun and seemingly only does what he does to be as much of a pain as possible.

There is nothing that kids can relate to in anyway and even the antics Henry gets up to are boring and predictable. When will Richard E Grant give up this ridiculous panto bad guy act and get back to what he does best?

In fairness the kids portraying these characters are quite good and don't get on your nerves like some other children orientated films but there really is little to like here.

It's a waste of a film and shouldn't be inflicted on even the most patient of youngsters.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 January 2012
I seem to have found myself reading a lot of other reviews for Horrid Henry the Movie and the general consensus is that it's only an `okay' film at best.

Much of the criticism comes from the fact that (apparently) the child actors portraying the characters in the original Horrid Henry books/TV cartoons, don't look anything like the source material. My argument to that is - this is a film, with REAL people. If real children looked like the caricature-like drawings in the books and cartoons then I would be seriously worried about which freak show they were drafted in from!

Then much has been said about how (apparently) it doesn't stay true to the `spirit' of the original source material. My argument would be that this is a FILM. If you like the books - great - they're books. If you like the cartoons - great - they're cartoons. Keep on reading and watching them. A film cannot be like a book and, unless it's a cartoon-film, not much like the cartoon either. The film takes many of the ideas and inspirations from the book and cartoon and expands on it. It has to. How else would it be able to stretch it out to an hour and a half?

Also, people have said that the plot/story isn't up to scratch. I feel I have to spell it out - it's a KIDS' MOVIE. If you want plot twists and character development followed by shocks and surprises, watch the DaVinci Code. This film is aimed at children. Therefore, it has a story that they can understand.

Did I like it? No. But then I'm nearly thirty-five. However, my six year old daughter dragged me to the cinema twice to watch it (the second time I even fell asleep). Now Horrid Henry the Movie is on my television screen at home and my daughter is demanding it for her birthday. In short, let the kids be the judge of it.

Note: special kudos to Anjelica Huston for her great performance as Miss Battle-Axe.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 June 2013
Now. I always love watching movies, playing video games online and just killing time. To be honest, this had to be the worst way to do just that. Number one most of the cast are terrible! Horrid Henry is an average actor and has his good and bad moments when acting in the movie, Arobic Al sounds really stupid, Bert doesn't know (as usual) and to be honest, it was funny the first time; after two or three times it was just tedious and repetitive. Anyway, Sour Susan wasn't good and neither was the rest of the child actors. The only two who were good were Rude Ralph and Moody Magaret.
The story isn't professionally planned out and has some of the most stupid and weird scenes. I would love to give some examples but that would be quite a lot and may bore you to death. I also sometimes don't get the logic of the film as well, because at the beginning scene there are several things I think that could've easily happened that didn't like chasing Henry into his garden and just taking the chocolate hobbles back!
I don't know how kids enjoy this movie but nevertheless I did laugh at some points and I realised this isn't a film for teenagers like myself or adults. If you do have a good reason to why this film is good I would be happy to read your reply. Anyway, two out of five stars; the pinnacle of a forgettable experience.
on 9 March 2012
I have given this 3 stars as I think its worth 2 but my children (aged 8, 5 and 3) think it should have 5 stars!

Its a fun, light hearted childrens film which most kids will find funny.... great for keeping them entertained for 1 1/2 hours! For me though it was juts not horrid enough.... the Henry in the film was basically just a regular little boy who is a bit nuaghty sometimes.

The biggest difference between the books and the film is that the Henry in the film genuinely doesnt mean a lot of what happens and really does want to help solve the problem and save his school... the Henry of the books just isnt like this!
on 25 March 2017
Terrible film, poorly made, poorly acted and not even very funny 2 stars because my daughter didn't hate it but she didn't really like it either. First St film in a while that I've bought that I cannot foresee watching again.
on 23 December 2011
Got this for my 5 year old daughter because she loves the cartoon series so much and I can't pat myself on the back enough for making the right decision; she absolutely loves it (and so does her 15 year old sister, which is an added bonus). I've read reviews being critical of the "over-powering colour schemes", that it's "too cartoon like" and "has no real plot" but in my opinion, these have been written by reviewers who simply do not grasp the idea that this is what the movie is supposed to be - a cartoon come to life. The plot isn't meant to be deep and meaningful because it's for children. Anyway enough waffle from me - if your child likes the cartoon series, give this movie a go for them - I'm pretty sure they won't be disappointed.
on 2 December 2017
Let's start with very fast delivery considering we're coming up to Christmas! 😊 My daughter absolutely loves Horrid Henry and this film even more.. we have to watch it multiples times at a weekend on Netflix . She'll be so pleased she can now watch her own copy in her bedroom 😊 A fun film that even I enjoy.
on 16 July 2016
Unfortunately I found this very thin on plot and even thinner on laughs. Sad comparison to the cartoon series. Persevered through it once...kids (8 and 4) said they thought it was OK but I can't see us watching it again. Anyone want a cheap copy :-)
on 9 July 2017
My 6 year old loves reading Horrid Henry books. He likes to identify himself with his cheekiness. He was enthralled and in awe of Henry (and Peter) in this movie. I enjoyed it too.
on 26 February 2014
Grandaughter is a big fan of Horrid Henry. I watched it with her, and it was good. Of course, she absolutely loved it.
6 people found this helpful