Customer reviews

on 6 August 2017
This book takes a long time to get through. Not a book to read in one go. Some very interesting pieces and illustrations - some not so. I am slowly working through it.
on 1 June 2017
A good read.
on 24 September 2017
Overall Good
on 7 August 2014
excellent service and very interesting book
on 29 January 2015
I found this in a random bookshop a couple of years ago and was immediately drawn to its intriguing cover with lovely illustrations. Once I realised it was filled with all things myths and monsters, I had to buy it! It has been sitting in pride of place on a shelf in my bedroom with a few other odd/quirky "coffee table" type books. This one is a very interesting read and great to go back to if you're ever looking for something to draw or write about.
on 11 January 2014
I got this on a whim, after seeing it as a recommended product (after purchasing 'The Science of Monsters' by Matt Kaplan), and I definitely don't regret it! I got a used copy, an old library book apparently, but there's no damage apart from a bit of a cracked spine and the obvious library paraphernalia (barcodes, stamped checkout sheaf etc). No graffiti, the pages are clean, there's no tearing or graffiti.

I love myths, legends, bizarre history, supernatural creatures and fantastical tales, so this book was perfect for me! It's split nicely into sections: 1) Mysterious, Magical and Weird People, 2) Mythical Monsters, Ghosts and Things That Go Bump in the Night, 3) Magical Places of Legend and Reality, 4) Flying Monsters, Mysteries, Odd Happenings, Strange Sightings and Legends, 5) Mysteries of the Deep, 6) Strange Artifacts, Buildings, Maps and Writings, 7) Tales of Secret Treasure, and 8) The Reality of Legends and Myths.

I had trouble deciding where to start first! I found the book to be well written, nicely formatted (each new mysterious, magical or weird person - for example - was arranged alphabetically through the chapter, so it was easy to go back and re-read things about certain people), and informative. None of the sections go into great detail (you'd need a much bigger book than this one!), but the have enough of the details to inform the reader, and intrigue them into finding out more! It's a good reference book for the bizarre, and it's one I'll be reading more than once!

The writing style is quite casual, which I like, not dry like it could have been. There's a great mix of fact (or should that be 'fact') and funny, which has me laughing aloud quite often (Pope Joan for example - tragic what happened to her, but the bit about the sedia stercoraria seats was hilarious to imagine).

It's a good reference book, which summarises the long complicated tales (such as the Greek gods, or Hercules's tasks) into short informative sections, and contains enough information to get the basic idea without overwhelming the reader. I think it'd be a good book for writers to own, as quite a lot of the bits I read set my imagination going!

All in all, a fantastic book which I love, and will enjoy reading again. Well worth the price, great quality, and well-written. Not much more than you could ask for!
on 24 November 2013
A must to add to any collection of the weird and the wonderful.Its slightly creepy in some parts but full of information and once started its hard to put down again.
on 15 November 2012
I was brought this as a gift for my 21st birthday from one of my dearest friends and it is such an incredibly beautiful compendium. The illustrations are so quirky and unusual and it just adds to the overall appeal of the book. It has a very easy to read format (I cannot vouch for this if you buy it for kindle because I haven't purchased the kindle version yet) which is good, because I often find with compendiums I am struggling to read them because the amount of information is just overwhelming: but this is presented beautifully.
on 25 August 2011
Love this book. Myths, monsters, mysteries, magic, it has everything from Nazca lines to Davy Jone's locker. You can dip in and out, there's so many interesting stories - are they fact or fiction? who cares - it's a great read.
on 25 January 2015
Love this, loads of information about just about every mythical creature imaginable, written succinctly and clearly, and some great illustrations too.