on 17 June 2012
I have always used Brother printers, and when my last one packed up after about 5 years, I decided to stay with them

It took a little time to choose one, and I was swayed by reviews not just on this machine but others also.

This is a decent enough printer, copier, although I agree with other comments about the fax set up, it is a little complicated, and as I use the printer on wireless mode it does occasionally need re-booting to pick the signal up again.

Anyway I bought it on the 9th February, and just over 4 months later the scanner has packed up. The troubleshooting guide suggests unplugging it for a few minutes, or remove any foreign items from it. I know there's nothing in it, and I have tried unplugging it about 10 times, so now it needs to go back!!

Great machine, four months use, I think not!!!
on 29 March 2017
I have owned 4 all in one printers and this one is the best by far, works really well.

However, its one annoying feature is that it tells me that an ink cartridge is low when it can still print over a hundred more pages. This stops it getting 5 stars because as we know, ink is expensive.
on 3 February 2012
Received this printer after a three week wait. For some reason the first order got 'lost in the post', but after contacting Amazon they immediately dispatched a new one which was with me in three days, and they couldn't have been more helpful!
The printer is great. Installation was a doddle, even over the wireless. All done in ~20mins. Print quality is very good, if a bit slow and was pleasnantly surprised with the photo print quality.
All in all a great all rounder. Highly recommended.
on 15 July 2012
I purchased this printer after having numerous issues trying to get a Canon printer to work with my Virgin Superhub. Despite being about half the price of the canon this plugged straight in (it supports dynamic ip addresses) and has been something of a revelation. It's relatively small as these things go, does not drink ink like many seem to and has a great eco mode that means that you can pretty much leave it on all the time and it will essentially be sleeping until you need it. The print quality is perfectly adequate though if you want superior printing then maybe spend more money on something that will deliver that.
The only gripes would be that the setup isn't particularly smooth - lots of different installs run. It's not difficult, just slightly clunky. And the feel of it doesn't radiate quality but then it's a value printer. And to be honest it just works and I'll take that any day over something that looks and feels great but doesn't actually do the job.
Top marks to Brother - I wouldn't have even considered you if you hadn't responded to my Tweet asking for people to recommend a printer that worked with Dynamic IP addresses. Congratulations on a great piece of kit.
on 17 February 2012
I purchased this printer to go with my new laptop.
And it works well enough Although i have had to Unplug my Hub a
couple of times in order for the printerto Re-set itself.
I would say that it prints out documents really quickly
The printed words are nice and clear,
But when printing images, There is a fare bit left to be desired.
on 17 April 2012
We chose this printer, being more than we had intended to spend, as it was a good make and wanted to get a "decent" printer.

Not very impressed with the colour quality from it. It is absolutely fine printing black and white but the colours seem to come out quite poor quality and not the same tone and grading as the original version. Not very impressed for the price.

Easy to use though, but has had paper jam a few times already.

Not that bad a printer, but not sure it's really worth the high price tag!
on 6 July 2012
Currently very angry about the purchase of this printer as I purchased it for a client specifically for the "Air Print" functionality as recommended at [...]. Apart from the fact that this printer did not configure onto the network easily (the diagnostic utility eventually changed the IP address) the Air Print facility appeared not to be working. After a lot of configuration changes and a very heated customer who believed I had short changed him by buying a cheap printer I decided to call Brother (last resort as they don't answer the phone quickly).

They asked me for the serial number and this showed that the printer did not have Air Print at all and could be added with a firmware upgrade. I obtained the upgrade and installed it and all was ok from there but how on earth is a client to be expected to manage something like this. A firmware upgrade could have rendered the printer unusable if anything went wrong during the install.

This Air Print problem puts Brother and the supplier in Breach of the Trades descriptions act as AirPrint most definitely was not included but the product is advertised as such.

I will be seeking advice and taking this further to compensate for the 4 hours wasted this morning troubleshooting this printer.
on 4 July 2012
What a brilliant product. Does so much and takes up so little space only problem is it has to be in the lounge as that is where our internet comes in.
on 28 May 2012
If I had known the fax setup would be such a nightmare, i would'nt have gone for this product. i would have chosen a cheaper one without this feature. Having said that, the machine performs well so far. just wish it would stop giving me so many cleaning prompts as I am always running out of ink.3 marks because ive ended up not using the fax ability just because its not simple enough for a 'layman' to set up
on 5 February 2012
great buy for the money and delivered next day after order!
very compact machine taking up very little desk space & yet has so many functions far better than any competitor machine.
easy to install and very good print quality.extremely easy to use all its many functions.
thoroughly recommended in its price range